LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 17, 2015, 11:03 am 

I'm not there myself, but I'm anticipating doing systematic testing and development on my Locost when it's finished. I'm guessing others will do the same. Should we add a testing section where people can share their results and get ideas about how they might test their own builds?

For example, threads (or subsections) on how to test and balance your brakes, setting up a basic circle for skid pad type testing, discussing specific performance issues that may come up for builders and how to solve them? I see it as desirable anyway.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 17, 2015, 12:04 pm 

Sounds like a GREAT idea to me! I don't have many doubts as to my ability to build a car, but testing and development of the finished car is a different matter. I've done some reading on race car chassis development, but I've never gotten past the 'Hunt & Peck' style. You know, "Hey! Let's try this. Well, that didn't work, let's try that over there" type of stuff. I want my Locost to be the kind of car that anyone would be proud to call their own!

And yes, it looks like it's finally going to happen! As some of you already know, SWMBO found me a nice used MIG welder for my Christmas present this year. She also told me that I should get started on my car, so right now I'm shopping for steel!

I LOVE the idea of a "Testing" section! :cheers:

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 10:26 am 

Well. there are at least two of us. If someone else doesn't do it first, I'm going to start one when my build is finished.

A few weeks ago, I started doing some Google searches on things like development and testing, but didn't find any sort of comprehensive reference or even a really good book on it. Maybe that will be part of the challenge of doing the section? Locating and putting people in touch with information about how to organize and carry out a testing regime?

Cheers, and Merry Christmas

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 10:52 am 

The most common questions seem to be about alignment and brake balance. There's some good information, but it's buried in dozens of separate threads.

I normally oppose topic proliferation, but pulling testing/diagnostics out to its own topic would get more eyes on a problem. I don't think everyone follows every separate build thread.

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 3:55 pm 

Sounds like a good idea to me. Great thing about these cars there's so many changes that can be done to suspension setup and wheels and tires and how far you want to go to make them handle as best as you the driver are comfortable with.

PostPosted: December 18, 2015, 4:17 pm 

Well, there's four people that like the idea, although we don't seem to be in any immediate danger of completing our cars before someone enlightens us on how best to test and develop them (said the guy who hasn't even started cutting steel yet :BH:)!

PostPosted: December 19, 2015, 10:19 am 

I think it s a good idea. The build thread gets a bit old after the car is finished. There is only so many times I can post a video of me autocrossing, lets face it they all look the same.
A testing section would help keep owners of "completed" build active on the forum. People who can tell you yeah I tried that it didn't work, do this instead are some of the best knowledge bases on the forum.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 19, 2015, 4:01 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:
I think it s a good idea. The build thread gets a bit old after the car is finished. There is only so many times I can post a video of me autocrossing, lets face it they all look the same.
A testing section would help keep owners of "completed" build active on the forum. People who can tell you yeah I tried that it didn't work, do this instead are some of the best knowledge bases on the forum.

That's not a bad idea at all. There are quite a few guys on here that have completed builds (like yourself) granted you just did a rework of the backside of the car. Things like that going from outboard to inboard suspension, pro and cons of both, etc. things like that can help us guys that are still building better prepare our builds.

PostPosted: January 11, 2016, 2:39 pm 

I think it's a good idea. However, you should be realistic with your expectations. If you are testing for track use, you need to use identical tires every time you test, or you are very likely to chase your tail.

Having been in the test mode now for about 6 years, I would suggest to leave things as adjustable as possible and then learn when to adjust and what direction to adjust. Brake balance was mentioned several times. From experience I can tell you that your brake balance will change a great deal with tire compounds, sizes, age, abuse, etc. Then you have to factor in the road: dry/wet, dirty, concrete vs asphalt, etc. I find myself constantly adjusting my brake balance bar as these things change.

Ken

PostPosted: January 11, 2016, 4:45 pm 

I'd like to see it as well. That's where problems would be found & fixed, and the solutions could be posted for the benefit of all. :cheers:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 12, 2016, 1:46 pm 

Along with testing it would be nice to see things that didn't work out so well with pictures.

I asked question in my build log but am not sure any one has done the testing. The question is can you substitute bonded and riveted sheet stock for diagonals in chassis bays with four sides? This would save a huge amount of cutting and fitting and distortion causing welding. I will be doing this testing as soon as it warms up and I find an H frame press. But more data would be good.