LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316
PostPosted: January 24, 2023, 8:57 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
Apologies upfront, this is not an official Team Slotus announcement.

I know a few of you probably are hanging out for an update like I am however until normal services resume I am going to hijack the thread.

You are all cordially invited to the inaugural 3rd Memorial JD Kemp Gumbofest on 24th January. Given we are all pretty much spread over the world and in different time zones it has to be a virtual event recorded on this thread. Entry is simple, all you have to do is raise a glass to JD on the day.

The rules are really lax, the liquid contents of the glass are up to the contestant and evidence of the contestants gumbo is required to be a reduced size image only due to site memory limitations - you all know the drill and don't anybody complain that we need to upgrade the site - highfalutin ideas are not welcome. Understandably some of you will be too busy with other things in your life and don't have the time to create a proper gumbo so you may steal images from the internet and those will be accepted. Also if you do actually make one take multiple photos with different backgrounds/props and you can then have a genuine submissions for the next few years of Gumbofest events and can bask in your efficiency.

After years of searching I have finally found a local source of andouille sausage and I am gunning for the top prize. Given how few posts are going on recently I think I have a really good shot. A judge has not been selected yet, however given JD's penchant for dubious human resource appointments I am also open to suggestions/recommendations/bribes. The Judge selection decision will be posted in 9 days time. In the case of nobody else competing I reserve the right to win by default and eat the 1st prize.

Good luck!
Marcus. :cheers:
In the spirit of the day, but alas not having the proper gumbo fixings at hand or even an (indecent) goat, I'll raise a glass (or two) of JD (the Tennessean) to JD the Floridian, founder of Team Slotus. :cheers: :cheers:

As part of the Gumbofest and since we are all Team Slotus, it's appropriate to remember that JD taught us how to deal with critics:
Attachment:
Notice%20to%20Critics - 1.jpg

The above is a photo of JD's original notice. The original file was lost, but here's a zipped Word file with my attempt at a reproduction:
Attachment:
Notice to Critics.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 24, 2023, 11:03 pm 

@seattletom
Thank you, Tom. JD still shares his wisdom and humor from the grave [SMILE]. I'll bet that would make him plenty happy.

When my build is on the road, it will be proudly carrying this Team Slotus "flag".
Attachment:
DSC05443.JPG

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 2, 2023, 11:17 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Hi Kristian, I'm thinking adding some beef sure can't hurt. Personally I wouldn't go over 50% but that's a personal preference.

Used this recipe about 12 years ago. Was pretty good except we did try real hard to screw it up in the smoker. Got way over cooked.

cheers!

Just a reminder. Fat Tuesday is Feb.21. I'll have to make some gumbo for that ;<)

It seems kind of appropriate to post the sausage making here, seeing how that's what we were doing on my parents' farm when I read about his passing. I doubled your recipe and used about 60% pork. Plans changed a bit, so it sat in the mixing bowl for about 4 days before being ground rather than overnight, but I think it turned out fine. We run most of our stuff through the grinder twice, but for this one and the salami we only did one pass. The holes looked a bit smaller than 1/4" too, so the texture may be a bit different. I let them dry overnight in the cold meat shop, then warmed and dried them over my pellet stove heat vent and smoked them at around 150-160°f for about 3 hours. I kind of wish I had something bigger than my little 4 rack Bradley, and hanging them would be better than using racks. Maybe one day I'll get around to building a bigger version for doing this kind of stuff. The one I cut up to try sure tasted good, and wasn't as dry as the ones I overcooked last year.
Kristian

PostPosted: February 3, 2023, 1:53 am 

Kristian,

Sausage looks yummy! Now you can make Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, Eggs Basin Street, ans a mashed potato and andouille potato bowlof oyster stew! Lots of options.

Good job!

PostPosted: February 3, 2023, 11:29 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Kristian,

Sausage looks yummy! Now you can make Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, Eggs Basin Street, ans a mashed potato and andouille potato bowlof oyster stew! Lots of options.

Good job!
Dam Larry, you are making me hungry!

turbo_bird wrote:
The one I cut up to try sure tasted good
Makes my mouth water Kristian

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 3, 2023, 2:24 pm 

Hi Perry!

You still down here in the wicked south?
And i made myself hankerin' for some Gumbo! Big pot planned for Fat Tuesday which is Feb 21 this year. Hard to wait that long. Might have to push it some.

Take some care,

PostPosted: February 4, 2023, 1:44 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Hi Perry!

You still down here in the wicked south?
And i made myself hankerin' for some Gumbo! Big pot planned for Fat Tuesday which is Feb 21 this year. Hard to wait that long. Might have to push it some.

Take some care,
Man Larry if I was closer I would invite myself down to have a good feed of your cooking, you may have to send me the recipe.
BTW sure do miss JD and his infinite wisdom, in building his car, cooking, and over all BS, mostly the BS :lol: .

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 4, 2023, 9:18 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Kristian,

Good job!

Thanks again for the recipe. I made a big batch red beans and rice with the stuff I made last year, and thinking bstill have a container in the freezer. It's probably not as good as the real deal, but I sure liked it. Wife and kids aren't as fond of beans as I am, so I don't make stuff like that often. Every now and then I'll cook a beef roast in the smoker for pulled beef too. I'm not sure if I prefer the pulled beef or the chili I make with the leftovers, both are pretty good. And this past fall I had a bumper crop of jalapenos in the garden, so I smoked then dried and ground a bunch of them, keeping the red and green ones in seperate. That stuff goes good on just about anything.
Kristian

PostPosted: February 4, 2023, 11:52 pm 

I am so glad I didn't call it a sausagefest! However Kristian is the clear winner of Gumbofest for 2023 as he put in a superb effort, which in the judges opinion was absolutely the best entry by far (ignoring that nobody else, including myself, posted any competing shots) and really looks like a legendary sausage. I am definitely entering a gumbo next year as I never want to type those words again.

Congrats Turbobird, your name is the first one on the cup.

PostPosted: March 4, 2023, 12:14 am 

Kinetic Research wrote:
I am so glad I didn't call it a sausagefest! However Kristian is the clear winner of Gumbofest for 2023 as he put in a superb effort, which in the judges opinion was absolutely the best entry by far (ignoring that nobody else, including myself, posted any competing shots) and really looks like a legendary sausage. I am definitely entering a gumbo next year as I never want to type those words again.

Congrats Turbobird, your name is the first one on the cup.

Haha, thanks for the default win. I'd forgotten about the gumbo contest, and still haven't actually made that yet. I think I still have some red beans and rice in the freezer from a while ago though. I'm the one that likes that kind of stuff most in my household, so I don't make it often. In other news, this year we made salami that I had drying in the cool room for the past month, and yesterday I made some pastrami as well. I got busy and almost forgot about it in the brine, so it had plenty of time to soak all the way through.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 4, 2023, 3:56 am 

Damn Kristian, that looks great! Have you tried Tasso yet? I've made 2 batches and they seemed tough to me. Shold be real tendere being pickled and all.

Little disadvantage with the smoker part. Using a Weber gas grill ,pellet 'holder', and 3 thermometers.Kept the pork inside until it hit 155 degrees.
Was tasty and worked good in the Gumbo but had cut into pretty small dice.

PostPosted: March 9, 2023, 4:01 pm 

Thanks Larry. I've never tried Tasso, and looked it up to see what it is. From what I read, it's not much surprise it would be tough. The recipe I found didn't mention pickling though, just curing in salt for a few hours. Sounded like it's supposed to get more tender when used in recipes that cook for a long time though, which makes sense. We recently made ham with a couple bone in front legs my wife got on sale, and it tastes good, but it's fairly tough and lots of cartilage and stuff there too. Probably better suited to soups and such. I may have to try making Tasso now as well. We don't eat a lot of pork, but have a few cuts from a pig we bought a couple years ago, maybe some of the big pork steaks could be used for that. They were quite tough, and not very popular for eating the way they are.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 26, 2024, 6:22 pm 

Hopefully everyone is doing well. I guess I'm the last one that posted here. Made some Andouille again this week. 15 lbs this time, using the recipe Benny_toe shared last year, but with 10lbs of beef instead of all pork. My smoker temperature control wasn't working, so I smoked them for about 6 hours at around 110°f, then finished cooking them in the oven. The house sure smelled good, but I was up until 1am last night, then up for work at 4 am today. Tastes good though, and I had one with my lunch at work today.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 27, 2024, 2:11 am 

Aww dang it, sorry JD! My 88 year old mum tripped and fell breaking her femur 12 days ago so I kinda had my focus elsewhere. Quickly choking a beer down right now, cheers. Got a real hankering for something spicy after rereading the posts above.

Looks like Kristian takes it out 2 years running, congratulations again!

PostPosted: February 2, 2024, 11:39 pm 

Sorry to hear about your mom. There's never a good time to break a femur, but at that age it's even worse. It's mostly just chance that we did our annual butchering last week, and appropriate weather I guess. I had to come back to this thread to find the sausage recipe again.
Kristian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316