LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: August 25, 2022, 4:25 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Looking good Tom. Yes once done it will be a huge milestone reached.
Then there's nothing more satisfying than final assembly.

^ This needed to be repeated.

PostPosted: August 26, 2022, 9:38 am 

Indeed, indeed, congratulations, Tom. This is a big deal.

We always seem to need "one more bracket" for something, don't we? I seem to have the same issue.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 27, 2022, 8:58 am 

Looking good Tom. Soon the vroom-vroom noises will come from your right foot!

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: October 10, 2022, 1:09 am 

Thanks for the encouragement, all.

While planning for the eventual floor installation (riveted aluminum panels), I realized four more tabs were needed for the removable diffuser panel cross braces. :BH: So fired up the torch and got that done.
Attachment:
IMG_1676-1.jpg

After cleaning up some more primer sags and drools to the good enuff level, the chassis was lifted off the rotisserie. It now sits on horses.
Attachment:
IMG_1684-1.jpg

A couple of welds hiding under the rotisserie mounts needed cleaning up and then those areas got primed.

I’ll topcoat the rotisserie mount areas next, let the topcoat cure and then it's back on the rotisserie to finish the chassis painting. Then commit flooring and off the rotisserie for good (finally.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: October 10, 2022, 8:55 pm 

What does the chassis weight now ? Looks great.

PostPosted: October 10, 2022, 9:18 pm 

B85 wrote:
I should have weighed it before putting it on the horses, but will do so before it goes back on the rotisserie. That will be about two weeks from now due to other obligations. I started top coating the areas the rotisserie mounts cover today and will second coat those in 48 hours. They will be well cured by the time the mounts go back on.

My projection for the completed chassis weight is 225 lbs. We'll see if my normally optimistic projections were overly optimistic again... :lol:

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: October 25, 2022, 10:36 pm 

B85 wrote:

Fair question. So I weighed it, using 3 of my 4 Bargain Junkie postal scales.
Attachment:
IMG_1703-1.jpg

The short answer is 317 lb.

Nine years ago I projected a chassis weight of 225 lbs. What could possibly have added 92 lbs. :oops: (Hey, that’s only 10 lbs. per year.)

Here’s what I posted one year into my build:
Quote:
As it sits, the frame weighs 185 lbs. I have 15 more pounds of tubes, engine mounts, etc. ready to be tacked in, and another 25 or so pounds of tubes to add, including 8.5 lbs. of roll hoop forward braces. This projects to a 225 lb. completed frame with an SCCA spec "cage."

What was not included in my somewhat (?) naïve original estimate was the frame extension for the radiator mounts, the steering assembly mounts, the tunnel structure, a very stout differential mounting system, etc., etc., etc. and LOTS of br@ck^ts and t@bs. And of course primer and chassis paint.

What isn’t included in the current weight is the rest of the topcoat paint, floor panels (aluminum) and the bolt-on suspension brackets. Still it is a very strong frame that should be able to handle the LS3 drivetrain.

So now the chassis is back on the rotisserie to finish the chassis painting and make/affix the flooring. Some assembly to follow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 25, 2022, 11:23 pm 

Hi Tom,

Your actual weight beat my estimate by close to 35 LBS. I was guesstimating it at 350. Damn good so far.

May not be light at the end of the tunnel but a definite glow.

Cheers!

PostPosted: October 26, 2022, 9:51 am 

Now you've got me curious about my own build, Tom. My own guess is that I would be 90 lb more that a standard Gibbs chassis for my own build. I won't be able to measure the weight for a little while, but I'm anxious to do so now. I'll likely be heavier too.

No matter. Like yours, mine is a street car. It's power to weight ratio is going to be ridiculous anyway.

It's nice to see you back working. I'm very anxious to do so myself. I have just one more vehicle to sell after which I'll have room to work.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 27, 2022, 8:39 am 

Well done, Tom!

I will be interested in the weight of my frame as well. It is made of chrome moly. Supposed to be lighter, but the frame builder did use a "442+" design. Plus, he added a few braces, and I installed a metal floor.

I hope to get back on the project to disassemble it for final welding and paint yet this fall, I will find a set of scales to weight it then.

PostPosted: October 27, 2022, 11:16 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I was disappointed, weighing Midlana's chassis, and seeing around 270 lbs. I felt better after asking myself what tubes I could remove, because the answer was "none."

PostPosted: October 27, 2022, 5:39 pm 

BW, Unless the frame design was changed to take advantage of the properties of Chrome Moly, the weight of a chrome moly frame would be the exact same weight as mild steel.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 27, 2022, 8:18 pm 

But, this is 2022 pounds. LOL

PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 4:18 pm 

I finally finished painting the frame. Lots of nooks and crannies to cover meant lots of iterations, drying time and turns of the rotisserie. All while waiting for a warm enough day to paint.

But that is done and installing the floor is underway. Four aluminum panels, one under the radiator extension (not shown below), one under the engine bay, one under the cockpit and one at the rear that will mount the diffuser strakes. I had enough 0.50" 5052 on hand for all but under the cockpit, so that panel is 0.050" 6061-T6.
Attachment:
IMG_1725-1.jpg

Three of the floor panels will be riveted on with 3M panel adhesive added for extra stick and rattle damping. The rear diffuser section will be removable. Lots of fitting and rivet hole and drain hole drilling still to be done. An access panel for oil filter removal, etc. will be added.

Then it's finally off the rotisserie and on to final assembly. Hopefully by the tenth anniversary of this build in January.

PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 5:16 pm 

Hi Tom,

By my standards you're right on schedule. The fact that you are making progress is great!

Cheers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 96  Next