LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
PostPosted: July 6, 2020, 8:40 am 

Just got a text with this link of the 7 running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAi5K-aqYug
Ron

PostPosted: February 6, 2022, 2:49 am 

Hey Ron,

Was reading through your build the other day. I know you changed plans a few times on drivetrain, but IIRC it looks like you settled back on using the 2.8L for this build. I've got one of these engines that is one of the few surviving and good parts of my first vehicle. Really want to get it on the road again, but not back in a Ranger. Want to put it into some little roadster and a Locost has crossed my mind a lot of times over the years, more recenlt an Exocet has also popped in there as well. Anyway your "Strictly Touring" build sounds like just the type of build I had in mind, except that I Want to work from a kit rather than designing my own frame.

Anyhow I was just wandering what the current status of your build is? Still a work in progress (I'd think they always are) or almost on the road? If it is on the road, how is that 2.8L doing in this platform?

PostPosted: February 27, 2022, 11:59 am 

Hi Josh,
Just noticed your post. I want to finish it using the 2.8, and a T5 using a Mustang II 2.8L bell housing.
My frame design has a shorter cockpit and more room up front. It's setup to use an unaltered Fox Mustang rack.
Also want to use a 66 Mustang Rad. behind the rack. I like the idea of the ease of using off the shelf parts.
I don't know about kit frames and what parts they use.
This is how things are as of this posting.
Attachment:
HangnTight.jpg

if I can get to the "roller" point, I'll post that progress.
Feel free to ask if you have more questions.
Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 23, 2022, 2:04 am 

No problem, I just noticed your reply to my post. Honestly since the last update was from '19 or '20, I was hoping that you were out there enjoying life behind the wheel it. That said I know how projects can go so I'm also not surprised that you are still working on it.

This 2.8L was part of a project that started in a bad way back in 2010. The engine was in my first truck, an 84 Ranger that was given to me for my first vehicle back in 2000, and it had been my dad's many years before that. The engine didn't have many miles on a rebuild when I totaled the truck in 2009. Was going to build another truck around, for which I bought an 86 Ranger in 2010. That turned into a V8 swap that snowballed out of proportion and never made progress. I held out hope of building that truck for the last 12 years, but as of this past week I have officially given up on completing that 86 Ranger.

I glad to see that you haven't given up like I did. I've also about given up on using this 2.8L in anything, there are simply better choices for almost anything I want to build and I've got enough projects as is. I think I'm going to pass this engine on to someone that can put it to better use. That said there is still hope for something like a Locost or Exocet in my future, thanks to a purchase this weekend.

I may have given up on the 2.8L and the 86 Ranger, but I haven't given up on having a nice first gen Ranger. with your user name I don't know if you are into those trucks, but the name does sound familiar so maybe. I picked up a complete 85 on Saturday that isn't running but hasn't been butchered. Long term goal is to do the afore mentioned the V8 iswap in it, but if I can get the engine in it running it would be a much better candidate for a future Locost type build. It's got the 2.3L lima. Unfortunately an auto, but that's an easy enough fix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27