LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52
PostPosted: June 7, 2021, 8:47 pm 

Quote:
They didn't give me any issues with the R1 powered 7 with a windscreen either. The inspector had me sit in the car to verify that I was looking over the top in case I drove in the rain.
I'm trying to convince a NCDMV inspector to do the same on my current build. So far he's not buying it.

I think the NC law has a dimensional (height) that requires wipers. Less than the requirement and no wipers required. I can research if you need help.
-gavin

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: August 30, 2022, 10:17 pm 

This weekend I crossed the 500 mile mark!

While racking up the miles this happened:
Attachment:
broken fender stay1.jpg

I originally made the fender stays out of flat bar with a strengthening rib to increase rigidity. As shown above, it failed! I wasn't surprised because the fenders bounced like a bobble head doll. I remade the stays with my daughter's Frozen themed folding chair :) The fenders don't move at all.
Attachment:
fender stay frozen2.jpg

Attachment:
fender stay frozen.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 12:31 pm 

Well, of course they don't move, they're frozen, silly. Good eye, good choice, Gavin.

Has you daughter forgiven you yet? Hopefully, she's outgrown that chair. :wink:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 8:33 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Can't see, but there should be a vertical support below to engage the inside edge of the tube opposite the UBJ flange to maximize the rigidity. Otherwise, it is left to flex along the outer wall.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 9:05 pm 

@miatav8 - Yes, The mount at the UBJ is a piece of 1.25 angle iron and there is a "leg" that goes down to the steering arm in the front, but that isn't where the flex was. It was where the flat bar welded to the angle. I admit, it was a poor design and it was only a matter of time before it cycled itself apart. I am very glad that it did it down the street from my house! It did crack the edge of the fiberglass but not badly and I didn't want to take if off the road to fix that when the weather is too perfect.

@Lonnie: lol ! yes, I guess they are now frozen in place :cheers:

PostPosted: March 12, 2023, 9:29 am 

I has been several months since I have posted an update on my build. I now have about 700 miles on the car and it has been great. I get lots of thumbs up on the road and questions in parking lots. I have even seen people taking pictures with the car in store parking lots.

The front fenders are holding solid now, so I have no concern there. Although when I mounted everything it appears that I managed to twist them slightly in order to use the existing mounting holes. I am inclined to drive it that way for now.

Over the winter, a buddy milled some adapters for me so I can use standard 2.25" springs instead of the Suzuki springs, which are 2.25 on one end and 2" on the other. I reduced the spring rates to 250# front, and 300# rear and the car rides way better. The Suzuki springs are 450#+

In spirited driving the engine would go a bit "flat" from 2.5k to 5k then pull nicely again to the end of the rev range. When Briggs and I built the intake, i decided to use the smaller throttle body because the math said it would be fine and I didn't want to have any driveability issues. I made an adapter plate to use the bigger TB from an M50 325i and it pulls steady all the way across the rev range. Now at lower speeds and at moderate throttle input, the rear seems a bit more lively :) I am still running 1/16" toe out in the rear so I can dial some of that out.

I plan to spend this year getting some miles on it and getting it sorted for the track. I really want to see what it does and how it behaves on the track.

PostPosted: March 12, 2023, 9:29 am 

I has been several months since I have posted an update on my build. I now have about 700 miles on the car and it has been great. I get lots of thumbs up on the road and questions in parking lots. I have even seen people taking pictures with the car in store parking lots.

The front fenders are holding solid now, so I have no concern there. Although when I mounted everything it appears that I managed to twist them slightly in order to use the existing mounting holes. I am inclined to drive it that way for now.

Over the winter, a buddy milled some adapters for me so I can use standard 2.25" springs instead of the Suzuki springs, which are 2.25 on one end and 2" on the other. I reduced the spring rates to 250# front, and 300# rear and the car rides way better. The Suzuki springs are 450#+

In spirited driving the engine would go a bit "flat" from 2.5k to 5k then pull nicely again to the end of the rev range. When Briggs and I built the intake, i decided to use the smaller throttle body because the math said it would be fine and I didn't want to have any driveability issues. I made an adapter plate to use the bigger TB from an M50 325i and it pulls steady all the way across the rev range. Now at lower speeds and at moderate throttle input, the rear seems a bit more lively :) I am still running 1/16" toe out in the rear so I can dial some of that out.

I plan to spend this year getting some miles on it and getting it sorted for the track. I really want to see what it does and how it behaves on the track.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 29, 2023, 1:18 am 

Hey buddy!! She's looking good all completely wrapped. I need to come down and say hello to the family and go for a ride before it gets too cold.

PostPosted: November 2, 2023, 2:21 pm 

Hey Buddy! She looks good all wrapped. I need to come down and see everyone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52