LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: March 9, 2014, 3:05 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I know, brackets are not very exciting

Oh, the pain.... Please don't use that awful, nasty word right here in front of God and everybody else... There could be women and children present, or maybe even Bubba...
You know, that word... br*cket...
Last time somebody said that word in here, my head exploded!
Attachment:
Nuclear-explosion.jpg
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry, had to be said...
:cheers:
JD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 9, 2014, 8:44 pm 

OK, please enlighten me. I have lurked on this forum and am now building my very own Locost. And, I have heard the consternation/aggravation/profane articulation surrounding the "B" word. But - for the life of me - I cannot determine the root of this hostility. Seems to me the "B" word is as fundamental to the Locost philosophy as there could be. WHAT AM I MISSING???!!!!

PostPosted: March 10, 2014, 2:29 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Rich-
You poor guy... You did nothing wrong, just walked into an old, old joke... It started somewhere around page 7 of my build log, long ago and far away, when I built br*ckets multiple times trying to get 'em straight and symmetrical... http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8526&start=90 ...and has grown sort of like a mushroom (as in "fed by Bull Sh*t") ever since. I blame Horizenjob and SeattleTom... :rofl:

Regards-
Bubba the Br*cket Builder

PS- I find that symmetry is highly over-rated.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 12, 2014, 10:52 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Rich! Come back! You didn't give up on us did you? Really, don't take me seriously, Lord knows I don't... And neither does my wife...
JD

PostPosted: March 14, 2014, 12:53 am 

Awwww JD you didn't scare another fellow outta his br@cketz did you? Shame on you :oops: :)

I know, I just like to put the word br@cketz out there just to generate some discussion when things get slow on the site.

Attachment:
brackets.jpg

Rich, you're brackets will turn out fine, just fine, and you will eventually get to know JD, and the sun will come up tomorrow, and we'll all win the lottery, and our wifies will succumb to our every need, and our builds will pose us no problems, and it will never get cold in Alberta again...............I don't think you're missing a thing Rich, but maybe some of us are. Ha!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 14, 2014, 7:05 am 

No, I haven't gone anywhere - except perhaps Memphis. I was just curious about the hullabaloo over something so innocuous as bent pieces of metal - kind of like hearing the punchline, but not the joke. Anyway, this is a fun project and made easier by all the information available on this forum.

Rich

PostPosted: March 14, 2014, 5:10 pm 
We are Slotus!

Memphis... Nice town... Good BBQ ribs, and the music ain't bad either. Glad you're back.

And Perry, thanks for your.... support??? :rofl: With friends like you... Well, never mind... :rofl:

PostPosted: March 23, 2014, 6:25 am 

Got the rear suspension set up. I was surprised how long it took to get the pickup points exactly where I wanted them, but I'm satisfied they are correct.

The only problem is the camber adjustment. I miscalculated the midpoint of the adjustment range for the lower arms so even when screwed in completely, I still have excess camber. Not a big deal - I can shorten them by about 3/4" which should be enough.

Next step is to build a jig for the front suspension.

PostPosted: March 23, 2014, 7:09 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I was surprised how long it took to get the pickup points exactly where I wanted them

Yep, me too...... Both times... :BH:

Yours are lookin' good though. Shame about the 'too much camber' part, but sounds like you've got the fix already figured out. Good on ya, Mate!
JDK

PostPosted: March 23, 2014, 11:06 am 

Looking good.

To fix the camber, it might be easier to just slot the holes in the upper CA at the upright. Then you can weld a couple large washers with the right hole size on the outside of the CA "tabs". This will kick out the upper joint by that 3/4" you were talking about. If you are concerned about the added leverage, you can box in part of the "U" br@cket.

Alternatively, sister another tube to the lower of the 2 stacked tubes that the inner mounts are tack welded to. Then you can move those mounts out by that 3/4". Or just move the mounts out in space and gusset them back to the tubes. Point is, It is easier to relocate the mounting points than it is to shorten control arms.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 5, 2014, 1:34 pm 

After a couple weeks of travel, I am back at it. On to the front suspension:

Left side:

Right side:

It's nice to have that behind me. Now - unfortunately - I need to put this aside and convert my basement into a wood shop. Promised the wife I would make some custom deck furniture.

Then finish the 65 Mustang:

Then replace the roof.

Then back to the Locost.

PostPosted: December 30, 2015, 8:46 am 

Ok, so I'm back at it. The Mustang is done...

The deck furniture is built...

And the bedroom has been remodeled...

I have reclaimed my basement workshop for Locost construction. Though I fully realize this is not a contest, if it were I would claim the "Ugliest Donor Prize" hands down..

That said, it runs and I received numerous nods of approval driving around the neighborhood. At least I think they were nods of approval - I could be wrong. Anyway, in parallel with removing the eyesore from my driveway, I needed to get the chassis on the ground so the engine could be fit in. I wanted to sit the engine on the build table, but ceiling height precluded that strategy. I opted for the combined front shock mount/headlight support. First I mocked it up with the only cardboard I could find:

And, the finished product:

PostPosted: December 30, 2015, 8:56 am 

The engine is is place and I have started the mounts. I modified the original engine mounts, adding a tube to accept suspension-type bushings:

I will add 1" square tube to the support plates once I have the bushings and get a more precise alignment of the assembly. The tranny mount is also on order - it will require a bit of customization.

The differential fits nicely into position and I have designed a support similar in concept to the engine mounts (yes, I have an unnatural affinity to bushings). Speaking of which, I have it on good authority that it is preferable to maintain similar rigidity/flexibility throughout the drivetrain, so I intend to remove the stock rubber bushings from the differential mounts and install poly bushings.

PostPosted: December 30, 2015, 9:37 am 

SWEEEEET

More Mustang pics please. That's a nice looking car

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 30, 2015, 12:49 pm 

Your progress is looking good. I'm curious though, how do you get the differential in and out of the car once the rear aluminum sheeting is in place?

Roy

Last edited by RoyzMG on December 30, 2015, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next