LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 20, 2024, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long-term +2 build
PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 2:10 pm 

Glad to see that you're back at it. What you've done already looks really good. You're in a great location to get some inspiration and support as there are a number of really nice (and completed) Locost builds in B.C. even if you have to get on a ferry to go see them.

I'm not sure how long it will take me to finish my build, but when I started, I thought it would take 6 months. That was about three years ago, I think. So, I guess using my time scale as a measuring stick, you're doing OK! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 2:12 pm 

Rear suspension.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 2:23 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
The module is the standard unit fitted to all 4-cylinder GM cars in the early-mid '80's (a "lost spark" system),

Invented by Joseph Lucas Prince of Darkness who also invented the Lost Headlights system and the Lost Windshield Wiper system and the Help My Dash is on Fire system

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 2:27 pm 

Moving on to more recent work...the scuttle.

This was a tough one - the scuttle needed to taper back-to-front to match the sides & top of the car, had to have a gentle curve across the top, had to have curved corners proportional to the dash at the back & nose at the front, and had to have a lip for the hood to eventually sit on.

I made the forward hoop out of 3/4" square-tube steel. To do this, I made about 435,728 cuts in the tube, bending & shaping it to take the curves & tapers required, then welded it all together & ground it smooth. I had to leave it 1/8" undersize in width and height, as I also had to shape a narrow piece of steel to form a top cap, so that the exposed square tube surface formed the mount for the hood & the top of the firewall.

Whew. Wouldn't want to do THAT again!! :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 2:30 pm 

My carbs...and new fuel line (BLING-BLING! :D )

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 2:49 pm 

Ford T-5 trans. This is the World Class T-5, non-V8 version. Surprisingly, even in a car as small as the Locost, with the engine set very far back, the trans is still too short for the shifter to come out where needed (it ended up under the dash).

To fix this, I designed & fabricated a shifter extension that works very nicely indeed. I did find some for sale on the interweb, but they were breathtakingly expensive (one I found was close to $1K :shock: ). My extension moves the shifter back 6", which was exactly what I needed.

In the event that others wish to use a T-5 (a very robust, easy-shifting trans that is, amazingly, very light!), I've included a pic of the AutoCad plan I drew up. Unfortunately, I only have a .jpg of the original CAD plan (the hard drive of the computer it was on originally imploded, taking the original plan with it), but the dimensions are all there, so it's easy to recreate. I can send a somewhat larger version (too big to post here) if someone wants it.

I've also included photos of the various pieces.

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 9:15 pm 

I always knew you would be back Mike 8) , your kind words helped get me going back in the day, hard to believe it was 8 years ago, time does fly by.
I look forward to your progress updates.

Al

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 9:25 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I would definitely box in the bottom of that panhard rod mount, as right now it'll flex the bracket until it cracks.

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 10:03 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Run87k wrote:
zetec7 wrote:
The module is the standard unit fitted to all 4-cylinder GM cars in the early-mid '80's (a "lost spark" system),

Invented by Joseph Lucas Prince of Darkness who also invented the Lost Headlights system and the Lost Windshield Wiper system and the Help My Dash is on Fire system

I don't car who you are, that there is funny!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 10:32 pm 

Yeah - I have a Lucas wiper system to install on the car...the hard part is figuring out the wiring to get the appropriate shudder/stop/smoke speeds out of it!

I'm going to cheat, though - I'm installing a fuse panel, with more than 3 fuses!! That oughta' confuse the Lucas gremlins!

PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 3:44 pm 

In the case of Lucas wiring, i found that only the wires with colored housing on them smoke. The ones without just spark.

Lucas Refrigerators... the reason why Brits drink warm beer.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 4:55 pm 

That's true...except for the black wires. They turn that color when the smoke comes out of 'em. They frequently have colored areas in some places, and brown copper color in others, and often have a bubbled appearance. With all the British cars I've had over the years, I've had MANY of these custom-made black wires...they usually do this chameleon routine on a dark road, at night, in a rainstorm, at least 30 miles from home.

When the flashlight is dead.

And it's too windy to use a lighter.

And frequently coincides with a flat tire. Or, (on one memorable occasion) two flat tires.

Did I mention that Murphy is my copilot? :BH:

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 1:44 am 

So, that's the more historical stuff - now, on to more recent endeavors.

Lately, I've been working on the curved tubes that mimic the rear fenders (the tube beside the driver's and passenger's elbows). Though they follow the contour of the fenders flawlessly (and look good, IMHO), they're 4" above the edge of the fenders. Looking at lots of other Lotuses, Caterhams, etc., this distance is normally 2". I couldn't figure out what the problem was until I spoke to my buddy, who reminded me that, when we went with a 2+2+2 frame, it included 2" extra height...and the fenders (CMC, again) were made for a standard height car. No problem, though - I kind of like the higher curved bars.

I also had to build a new home for the serpentine belt tensioner, as the engine no longer sports an A/C pump, power steering pump, etc., and in the original location, the belt would have ended up either not having much purchase on the water pump, or turning it the wrong way. That tensioner has ENORMOUS torque (at first I thought it was seized, but it's fine), so the new mount had to be extremely rigid, easy to remove/replace, located tight in to the engine, and precisely mounted to prevent any misalignment. The newly-fabricated mount meets all of these criteria, and I'm quite happy with it.

I mounted my '90's Civic welded aluminum radiator (purchased, cheap, on Ebay). Initially, I thought to make a fancy shmancy mount for it, but given that few people will see it, I opted for a simple, light, strong mount. Another issue was fitting it inside the nose. Even thought the rad is very small, there's VERY little room (height, anyway) inside the nose. The rad's lower outlet is angled slightly up, which helps, but it still interferes with the steering rack, so the rad had to be canted back a fair bit. This seems to be common in 7's though, so I'm not concerned about the lean angle. Even with all of that, the radiator cap is within 1/4" of the underside of the nose. With the lean angle, the fan is a tight fit between the rad and the front of the fan. I feel like I'm building a ship in a bottle here!

I finished making a hinge system for the tilt nose. Originally, I was just going to use Dzus fasteners top & bottom, and had already installed the top ones, but there turned out to be no easy-access areas to install bottom ones (once the suspension is all in place, access would be more difficult). Plus, I figured being able to get at the rad easily & quickly later was worth the additional hassle now. I fabricated the hinges (shown below), and was quite happy with them - smooth, precise, rattle-free operation. What I'm not happy with is the flimsy, thin, CMC (again) nose. The upper parts of it are rigid enough, but the bottom surface is paper thin, inconsistent in thickness, and quite badly warped. Instead of being convex, the bottom was concave. I had to add an aluminum stiffening rib (riveted & JB Welded into place), and was able to get it straight across the bottom, at least. Even so, when the nose is opened, there is enough compliance that is sags when open. I'm going to have to fabricate stays to hold it open at a set amount (and keep it more or less level). I'm thinking scissors-shaped aluminum folding parts, one on each side near the top.

I recently finished the roll bar, too. The fish-mouthing of the back stays was rather complex, owing to the odd angle that they meet the bar itself, and the fact that they meet it at the beginning of the curve. In the end, it worked out fine. I also welded on small brackets at the bottom to hold my LED high brake light (a must, on a car as low as the Locost, IMHO). I bought the strip of LED's (red, when illuminated) and machined a piece of ABS plastic with a groove & appropriate holes for mounting & wire passage. The housing I built has a slight curve to the top surface, to match that of the underside of the roll bar (which I wanted to match the gentle curve of the scuttle, etc.). While I don't own a milling machine (*sigh*), I do have a milling attachment for my 1947 South Bend 9" lathe, and milling of this simple nature is well within its capabilities.

Anyway, I'm sure you're all bored to tears now! My future posts won't have as much junk in 'em, as I'll be posting stuff as I go, rather than playing catch-up. This would have been easier if I'd done it as I went along... :roll:

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 9:52 am 
We are Slotus!

zetec7 wrote:
My carbs...and new fuel line (BLING-BLING! :D )
Uh-oh... Shiny things... Bubba is drooling again... Dammit, where'd I put that mop?

Lookin' good, Bro, glad you're back at it!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 11:37 am 

High quality build you have here. What bell housing are you using for the T5 trans to the zetec engine? I plan on using a 2.3 duratec with a ranger 5 speed. Only issue is no light weight flywheel for the setup.

Loving the fabrication and attention to detail on everything. That scuttle looks really good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next