LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 11, 2024, 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 7:30 am 

BostonWill wrote:
This is one of the cleaner cars I have seen built here! Says not only something about your skills but the approach of using laser cut materials and CAD.

BTW- did you use ant type of finishing on the outer skins? They look really nice!

Thank you very much :cheers:

I don't have time to respond to this the way I would like, give me a day or two.

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 11:25 am 

That's HUGE, Ron. Congratulations! It looks damn good too.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 12:59 pm 

Congratulations, Ron. Beautiful build. :cheers:

And thanks for the "folder" tip. Great idea for streamlining the process. For a prior build I did an "interview" with the dmv before taking the car to determine what they really needed. Turns out they were only interested in proof the driveline components weren't stolen. Go figure.

Next time I'm in the Portland area I hope to drop by and see your build first hand.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 1:54 pm 

That was tougher than what I had to go through. In one aspect I lucked out ny my inspector having gone through this process just a ffew days earlier. But that is behind you now and your feeling of satisfaction is a bit higher. Good job!

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 2:16 pm 

The interesting part of the theft inspection here, for me, is that the Mazda Rotary has no VIN stamping on it, at least from what I've read of the FC/FD generation.
Not sure if the Renesis is any different.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 7:24 pm 

Jamador, the FC has numbers stamped in the front iron. Mazda North America keeps records. However, if the car the engine came from was ever officially scrapped or given a salvage title, Mazda N/A purges all the records and there is no traceability. Ask me how I know. :mrgreen: I do find it funny that out of all the parts that make up a rotary "block" only one piece has the ID.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 10:30 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Jamador, the FC has numbers stamped in the front iron. Mazda North America keeps records. However, if the car the engine came from was ever officially scrapped or given a salvage title, Mazda N/A purges all the records and there is no traceability. Ask me how I know. :mrgreen: I do find it funny that out of all the parts that make up a rotary "block" only one piece has the ID.

Considering the 2-rotor has 5 'blocks' (and the front cover) yeah interesting that only 1 has it.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: April 1, 2022, 9:29 am 

JAMADOR wrote:
The interesting part of the theft inspection here, for me, is that the Mazda Rotary has no VIN stamping on it, at least from what I've read of the FC/FD generation.
Not sure if the Renesis is any different.

It's a little aluminum tag that's glued/stuck to the aluminum front cover, and I don't recall any of my three having the actual VIN, just engine serial number.

PostPosted: April 1, 2022, 4:13 pm 

seattletom wrote:
Next time I'm in the Portland area I hope to drop by and see your build first hand.

You and Benny Toe are always welcome to drop in, I'll even break out the BBQ!

PostPosted: April 1, 2022, 4:13 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
This is one of the cleaner cars I have seen built here! Says not only something about your skills but the approach of using laser cut materials and CAD.

BTW- did you use ant type of finishing on the outer skins? They look really nice!

Thom, This project was an experiment for me in several ways, but the big one was the use of manufacturing technology, as I mentioned in my first post. The idea was never intended to be "Low Cost" it was intended to be from a perspective of "can I play General Contractor and mostly be an assembler and substantially reduce labor?" Is it possible, as an amateur, to model a car and build it *to the model* and it all come together in the end? Would all of the effort/expense be wasted the moment the frame was welded? And many other questions. It was an itch that I wanted to scratch, whether it was the 'best' way or not.

Obviously it did add significant cost, but it also saved a great deal of labor. I've had zero regrets taking this approach and zero meaningful surprises or problems. In fact, it has been quite a pleasure building a car this way.

Would I do it this way again? As long as I could justify the funding, the answer is unequivocally yes… mostly. In my perspective there are three parts:

1) The CAD design of the frame including laser scanned drivetrain. This was the single most influential factor in the way the car turned out in terms of overall packaging. I was able to keep the hood low, the overhangs short, the frame tight around the drivetrain maximizing passenger space (especially the pedal box, 15" wide and tunnel, only 5" wide) necessarily because I'm a pretty large guy, and I didn't want to make the car any larger than it needed to be. It also allowed me to verify that I could install and remove the larger components into the frame before committing to steel. I would invest the upfront time again without question, even if I intended to cut everything traditionally.

2) CNC cutting the frame. This saved time but at a significant overall cost, percentage-wise. If I were to build another car I think that I would cut/miter all the square tubing myself and have all the round tubing CNC cut and bent. I estimate this would have cut the cost in half and all the time intensive stuff would be done leaving all the quick/easy cuts to be done manually. That would probably strike a better balance between cost and time.

3) The sheet metal. This includes the floor, firewall, rear bulkhead, firewall, tunnel, and all of the bodywork. Laser cutting these were probably the biggest overall time saver in terms of cost per hour saved. It increased efficiency in many ways, one of them was rivet holes. All except maybe 10 rivet holes were laser cut to a pilot-sized .100". Every hole hit a tube and they are all evenly spaced. This alone saved a notable amount of time and made for LEGO like assembly. It would be difficult for me to not want to do that again.

Obviously it's an individual choice, juggling your time vs. money and everyone has different priorities, especially in what they take pride in doing. My bent was a bit more toward the challenge of design and 'manufacturing'.

As far as the finish work, for now it's just bare aluminum that's been white Scotch-brite'd with WD-40 and wiped down with a micro-fiber cloth and isopropanol (don't leave WD-40, it's a dust magnet). I still have more of that process to do to get all the panels to the same finish. I haven't settled on whether to leave it bare aluminum, clear coat, paint, or vinyl. Not in a big hurry on that decision.

And thank you again for the kind words!

Last edited by RTz on April 1, 2022, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: April 1, 2022, 9:43 pm 

I well understand the desire to approach a project in a different manner. I am trained as an Engineer thought I spent the first half of my career installing & repairing medical equipment in Hospitals.

Later on, I went into the business of rebuilding those devices and it all became a job of "process". And I found it so much more rewarding than just fixing a device that had failed. So, I well understand your passion here.

I keep wondering "what can I do next" and will be 70 in a couple of months, and ask myself "why do you need something else to do Old Man?"

But without projects I think I will "rust out instead of ware out".

That said, I may ponder your approach here and consider following suit.

Thanks again for your insight.

PostPosted: April 5, 2022, 4:17 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
I keep wondering "what can I do next" and will be 70 in a couple of months, and ask myself "why do you need something else to do Old Man?"

That's a great attitude to have! I'm a little behind you in the age department but it's clear to me that staying active is one of the most important things for your longevity. Even if you eat right and don't have any bad habits, if you don't stay active you will most certainly 'rust away'.

Permanent plates, tags and registration all showed up last Saturday. Only took the DMV 3 days to get those to me - color me shocked. Only formality remaining is the title.

PostPosted: April 6, 2022, 5:03 am 

I was 66 when I started my Locost build. Will finish it soon perhaps. Maybe not. I'm 81 now. Doesn't need much of anything, just some bits I would like to change.

Attachment:
IMG_0660.jpg
I

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 6, 2022, 9:21 am 

BostonWill wrote:
I found it so much more rewarding than just fixing a device that had failed. So, I well understand your passion here.

I turn 70 this year. I have to admit I entered my current project thinking this is my last car build. It most likely will be. I still have a few years to go on it. I will still have plenty to do afterwards. (I hope :mrgreen: )

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 5, 2022, 10:30 am 

Amazing!
Ron thank you for sharing your build! I’m just starting to plan a build as a retirement gift to myself, thank you for the inspiration.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next