LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: July 20, 2020, 7:08 am 

AutoX report: things went very well. Car didn't have any issues except my speedo pickup magnet liberating itself. Made a couple small changes like decreasing tire pressure (had started at 20psi) and decreased the damping on the rear to try and hook up a bit more. My impressions are that the car is quick and relatively easy to control. Seems that I have a bit too much neg camber on the front and not enough on the rear but that's all easy to change. I'll also decrease tire pressures.

Big grins all around.

Watch in aw as I drive poorly and then once more but slightly better. Hear the sounds of my speedo magnet hitting the pickup on the first run:

PostPosted: July 20, 2020, 11:16 am 

Looks fun!

I am using a VDO GPS sending unit for my speedo and it works well. I hid it under my fiberglass cowl. I am not sure if it would work with your speedo but there are other similar options out there.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: July 20, 2020, 1:26 pm 

Mnot wrote:
Looks fun!

I am using a VDO GPS sending unit for my speedo and it works well. I hid it under my fiberglass cowl. I am not sure if it would work with your speedo but there are other similar options out there.

It won't work with my gauge cluster although I'm not a fan of GPS for speed. There are too many situations where normal GPS has issues and it's always going to lag a bit. Ground truth pickups seem more accurate or maybe it's just the TSD rally part of me that likes it.

PostPosted: July 21, 2020, 9:02 pm 

Half hood is done. I still need to make some loop through brackets for the frame but it's been a bit too hot and humid in the garage lately. Happy with how it came out, the half hood was a lot more work than the boot cover. I expect this is something that I won't use too often but will be happy to have when it's needed.

I also searched around the forum for some handling tips based on what other folks have experienced on their early outings so hopefully I have a bit of direction to make some setup improvements for the next outing.

Attachment:
half hood front.jpg

Attachment:
half hood rear.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 6:11 am 

Very nice!

Thom

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 8:01 am 

That looks great! How did you sew the window into the canvas?

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 9:18 am 

That looks very store-bought! Nice work:cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 9:40 am 

Mnot wrote:
That looks great! How did you sew the window into the canvas?

The vinyl is 16 ga clear from JoAnn Fabrics although it appears they have a thicker material. JoAnn's search function has failed me again. It's sewn in with two rows of straight stitching. The underside of the window is unfinished. The only seams I bothered finishing on the inside are the sides by the driver/passengers heads.

Also remember to use basting tape. For everything. I forgot to buy the proper stuff from sailrite but the 3m adhesive on a roll I purchased for the rubber trim on the fenders worked great with a bit of heat to stick.

Attachment:
half hood window.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 2:42 pm 

All very nice indeed! What fasteners did you use to attach to the windshield? I have thought along those lines but was afraid I would break the glass.

:cheers:

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 7:23 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
All very nice indeed! What fasteners did you use to attach to the windshield? I have thought along those lines but was afraid I would break the glass.

:cheers:

They are 18-8 Stainless Steel Fabric Snaps with 8-32 Thread Stud from mcmaster https://www.mcmaster.com/95707A870/. Same ones that I used for the boot cover but with nut plates https://www.mcmaster.com/94579A200/ inside the windshield frame.

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 7:56 pm 

Thank you for the info. I looked them up and the writeup says the threaded portion is 1/2" long. Did you put those in before you mounted the glass? My concern is hitting the glass and breaking it.

Cheers!

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 9:56 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Thank you for the info. I looked them up and the writeup says the threaded portion is 1/2" long. Did you put those in before you mounted the glass? My concern is hitting the glass and breaking it.

Cheers!

I cut the studs so they were flush with the nut plates when installed. Everything on the frame was installed prior to mounting the glass. Challenge with having the nut plates is the top section of the frame needed a different thickness "gasket" for the glass than the sides and bottom. By gasket I mean some areas had a bike tube of single thickness and in other areas it was double thickness.

PostPosted: July 22, 2020, 11:24 pm 

Apparently I didn't read your post very well. You did mention the nut plates but somehow I glossed over where you said they were inside the frame. My glass is in and has been for some time. I really don't want to remove it so I'll have to think of an alternative.

Thanks,

PostPosted: July 23, 2020, 8:17 am 

Consider adding a support brace across the top section of the bikini top, about 2/3 the distance back from the windshield. The long unsupported top will start flopping around at about 60 MPH, and will drive you mad. You can used your roll bar diagonal as a pick up point for the support brace. I sewed in a loop to slip in a cross support tube into the top. But you could also triangulate off the top of your roll bar. You just need a method to adjust the tension. My rod has internal threads. See photo. The brace is in the approx. location when the top is installed.
I also added 2 loops the full length of each side and slipped in plastic tubing to keep the low edge of the sides from flopping in the breeze. I'll bet that you will used your new top a LOT :mrgreen: . Your top will probably be on 90% of the time, unless you like being baked by the sun. Davew

PostPosted: August 9, 2020, 10:11 pm 

Wipers....finally. I started with a Toyota Matrix wiper assembly that was supposed to be for my brothers matrix but before he could swap them out the ones in the car started working again and the replacement assembly became a spare complete assembly and was free to me... great!

Attachment:
matrix wiper mount.jpg

I cut out the wiper axle bushings and then turned and threaded them and made a mount for the scuttle. I also machined the wiper axle down to an M6 thread vs M10 and shortened the axle arms for less torque and better fitment under the scuttle. The bushing carrier is cut to an M20x24tpi because I have an imperial lathe but M20 diameter was the least amount of material I needed to take off.

Attachment:
matrix mount cut up.jpg

Attachment:
wiper bushing machined.jpg

Attachment:
wiper bushing machined 2.jpg

Attachment:
wiper axle relocation.jpg

wiper arms came from the rear windows of a couple subaru outbacks before being shortend and wiper blades are from a 2012 Jeep Patriot rear window and are 10" long.

Attachment:
wiper arm short.jpg

I kinda messed up setting a nutsert and had to remove the scuttle to finish up mounting the motor. Removing the scuttle took about 10 mins and I should have just done that to begin with.

Attachment:
wiper linkage.jpg

Attachment:
wiper installed top.jpg

Wiper arms installed. I also picked up a set of Emgo mirrors for a Suzuki TL1000R.

Attachment:
wiper installed.jpg

The wipers are pretty much the last major fab item of this build. The only item I need before I can get inspected and registered are headlight buckets and they have had a bit of a lead time due to supply chain interruptions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next