LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: August 27, 2020, 3:16 pm 

Nice work on the wiper setup.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 28, 2020, 12:34 pm 

Thanks. I even got rained on at the last autoX so that's out of the way. I do need to figure out a way to get them to park better. There is enough friction to slow the arms when things are dry but they won't park if the windscreen is wet. I had the wiper gearbox apart before when I was trying to figure out why I was blowing fuses, for some reason the stock harness did not match the wiring diagram and the low speed and ground wires were switched. Anyway, I think I can grind off some of the contacts from the park disc and get it to stop.

I've also noticed a couple drops of oil on the bottom of the bellhousing. I pulled the starter off but didn't see anything with the trusty usb endoscope. I did install a new rear main before putting it together. Will probably run it for a bit but the engine will need to come out sooner than later. Oh well.

Still waiting on the head lamp housings I want.

Second autoX went well. I had dropped the rear slightly and took some camber out of the front. Also dropped all the tires to 18psi. Much more controllable. I felt that I could push the car a bit and felt that I had a good day as well. Ran 18th out of 83 which met my goal of top 20. There was an issue with the e-brake dragging but I fixed that after the fact, just means I should be faster next time.

Was using an old phone for the vid so the focus is off.

PostPosted: August 31, 2020, 11:09 am 

Wow, it sure looked like a fast run in the video. Thanks for the ride-along.

That visualization graphic (course outline and moving dot) was cool too.

Cheers,

PostPosted: October 1, 2020, 9:24 pm 

Big day today, showed up at the DMV this morning a little bit before 7am. After a short 7 hours including a pretty straight forward auto theft inspection, Hagerty wasting an hour of my time, a local State Farm agent ftw, regular safety inspection and a bit of time at the paperwork desk I have a chassis with a VIN and a temporary registration plate. Title and real registration are expected once the state figures out how much tax they want out of me. The weather was great and I got to talk to a number of folks that were interested in the car.

Some things went as expected and others I probably didn't need to waste my time worrying about. Wipers didn't want to park today but that didn't stop anything. Getting the car registered as a street rod still seems a bit elusive as no one is in agreement of what I need to do and no one has made any progress.

Hey look it's me
Attachment:
dmv day.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 1, 2020, 11:09 pm 

You cant register as a Lotus replica?

PostPosted: October 1, 2020, 11:28 pm 

Washington state inspector allowed me to register mine as a 1963 'Custom Lotus Super 7'. Key word being custom. My inspector had experience with the then new rule having just re-classified a build the week before. Only thing she really looked at were the receipts.

Different states, go figure.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: October 2, 2020, 7:33 am 

Bent Wrench wrote:
You cant register as a Lotus replica?

Car is being titled as a '68 Lotus Replica. Worst case I get a regular registration and have to go in for a safety check every two years. The advantage of getting a street rod reg is being able to forgo any future inspections. It was inspected as a "kit car" so no emissions just lights, horn and wipers. Delaware is supposed to treat the car as homemade where kit car is reserved for vehicles with certificates of origin but I'll take it. Auto Theft just wanted receipts with VINs on them to check if any of the parts were stolen. Titling folks were quite busy with things since it was auto theft day so they asked me to leave all my receipts and info so they could figure out the value.

DE changed the way you get a street rod reg recently. Before you needed to find an inspector with the state street rod association. I know this person and had talked to him about the changes. The statutes say to get the application from an office that doesn't have it, DMV inside staff say to ask for the forms during inspection and the inspection lane staff say it has to be done the old way. Must be a training issue :roll:

Idk what Hagerty's deal is as many here seem to be insured with them. I had talked to them several times about what the car was and what it might be titled as but after an hour setting up my account and sending pictures the underwriter came back with "it looks homemade we can't insure that". To which my response was that's what I told you to begin with. They might change their tune now that I've passed state inspection but that will be another day.

My actual time spent interacting with the state was quite short, most of it was getting there early enough for Auto theft (it's only twice a month and can get nuts) and sorting out insurance in the parking lot.

PostPosted: October 26, 2020, 8:54 am 

I am now titled and registered as a 1968 Assembled Vehicle Replica. I'll dig up the registration and titling thread and add my experience there. Being titled as an assembled vehicle vs a Lotus is consistent with what I was told by titling staff a number of years ago but the other folks on site this time seemed to say otherwise until the title was actually issued. I could have chosen 2020 or 1968 and figured going with the latter could make things like inspection and registration easier if the car ever leaves the state. I also received feedback that they were not currently able to issue street rod registrations :? Either way it's done.... hurray.

Been working on some doors and should have picts up soon.

PostPosted: October 26, 2020, 10:27 am 

Congrats!

PostPosted: October 26, 2020, 11:14 am 

Yeah like Lonnie says, Congrats!
Hope you have a blast driving your new 7. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: October 26, 2020, 11:59 am 

Thanks guys. I've put about 130 street miles on the temp tag and actually drove it to and from the last autox. So far I've added some front mudflaps, some wind deflectors and noticed that the fuel gauge goes out after a heavy right foot event. I also picked up some moldable ear protection that helps with the wind in my left ear and am almost finished with a set of doors which will hopefully aid in cooler weather adventures.

I had upped the spring rate front and rear for the last autoX and it helped a good bit but the car still needs a front sway bar added. That is my winter project. My ride heights with the newer springs were close but not perfect for controlling exit oversteer so there is some more fiddling to do with the setup. On the road it feels pretty darn good.

PostPosted: October 27, 2020, 7:44 am 

You might want to consider just making half doors Vs full doors. With full doors, and your bikini top, there is so much cabin noise that you can not hear yourself think :lol: With half doors and your winglets, it's enough to block most of the air coming off the rear fenders into the cabin. With that arrangement it is still comfortable down to the mid-40s with just the floor and defrost heat set on low speed. Davew

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 7:34 am 

I might have to fab up some half doors and compare.

Took my version one doors out for a quick spin yesterday. On the up side they accomplish exactly what they are supposed to do making higher speed much easier on the driver and seemed to quiet the cabin down a good bit. Almost seemed civilized. On the downside the visibility isn't that good. I built the top rail to follow the line made by the half hood but should have had it sweep up like caterham doors do. Instead something that didn't seem to matter when test fitting in the garage it really gets in the way on the road. I had also gone for slightly thicker clear vinyl but it isn't as clear as I would like.

The doors I made also don't stow so once they are on, they are on. Having read through others solutions for making the cabin more livable I expected that a bit of experimentation is in order to get something that works well and doesn't take away from the driving experience. Will have to figure out what I want to do from here. Since the existing doors fit well I might try to disassemble them and modify the top for better visibility but it would also be nice to come up with a design that I can stow if needed.

Attachment:
doors v1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 7:50 am 

That is a nice looking door :cheers: :cheers: You have a really good fit to the body on the leading edge of the door. You may want to check the fabric right where it rubs the windshield support. I had to add some plastic trim to prevent any damage in that area. How are you attaching the back of the door to the body?
Davew

PostPosted: October 28, 2020, 8:43 am 

Taht door looks fantastic. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next