LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stalker BMW build
PostPosted: January 25, 2021, 8:19 am 

Just keeping your current exhaust muffler system and running the exhaust pipes back to the rear will make a BIG difference in the sound level. And if you need to farther reduce the level, you should have enough space for a small muffler in the rear.
Davew

PostPosted: January 25, 2021, 12:12 pm 

Car looks gorgeous, and those header pipes look fantastic!

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: February 13, 2021, 6:16 pm 

Finally got the cowl and windshield on today! Now it really is done. Two things could come next: First, my cool outside rear view mirrors could arrive and I'll be ready to have it inspected or second, it could get just warm enough to back it out of the garage for a whole lot more tuning that needs to be done before the dyno. I'd like to get some tuning done before the inspection because it would lend some credibility if I could fire it up without a lot of drama. For now I guess I'm on a short pause until one of those two things happens.

Wait, one more thing, not sure if I mentioned this part before or not but I need my 3D printer friend to take a shot at the final draft of my steering wheel hub switch panel (in green as a draft part in this pic, needs more depth on the symbols so they print better but otherwise fits great). Holds 4 momentary switches wired up to a cheap RF transmitter so I can have a cable free removable wheel. Works great with the key fob right now so should work well in the wheel.

Alex

PostPosted: February 13, 2021, 6:39 pm 

Alex,
Your car and build is very impressive!

The only question I have is, will the QWERTY keyboard remain in the car during normal ops? And what is the purpose?
Thanks,
Eric
Attachment:
CAB730C4-57D0-4525-AA5E-28CD3E668DDA.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 13, 2021, 6:52 pm 

ohmite wrote:
Alex,
Your car and build is very impressive!

The only question I have is, will the QWERTY keyboard remain in the car during normal ops? And what is the purpose?
Thanks,
Eric
Attachment:
CAB730C4-57D0-4525-AA5E-28CD3E668DDA.jpeg

Thanks!

Good question, no, it's only there for when I need to tune the fuel injection. Otherwise the screen just boots directly to a dashboard, you hit the esc key to bring up the tuning software but no need for the keyboard unless you want to do that. I bet it will be a staple for most of the first year with the car, just catching all the cold start conditions, etc.

Wireless, BTW, so I can just toss it in the trunk most of the time.

Alex

PostPosted: February 13, 2021, 7:07 pm 

Alex,
That is very cool! I need to do a more in-depth read of your thread, I missed the EC and display info.
Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: February 26, 2021, 7:45 pm 

I've been out of town for a bit but a fun part showed up while I was gone. I needed a block off plate for the removed valvetronic actuator. As I've mentioned before I hate trying to fabricate plate aluminum parts because it's really hard to get a pro finish at home. Further, this part is right on display, no way to hide that spot. I used frontpanelexpress.com again for this part, same place that I did my dash panel.

So, $30 for a part that I didn't have to make and looks way cooler. There's no branding anywhere on the engine so this also answers a few questions if I've got the hood open.

Looking like upper 40's this weekend so hopefully get some tuning done in the driveway. I'll try to remember to get a video for sound!

Alex

PostPosted: February 27, 2021, 2:32 pm 

Looks very cool all together!

BTW what brand of lift is that and how do you like it?

Thom

PostPosted: February 28, 2021, 4:26 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
Looks very cool all together!

BTW what brand of lift is that and how do you like it?

Thom

The lift is awesome, especially for a low garage but the huge bummer is that this company stopped making this model! It was from North American Auto Equipment who I have recommended many times. Super fast and cheap freight shipping from Massachusetts to Michigan and great customer service.

Here was the lift, again, I think it's not being made anymore: Bison Mid Rise 38 Lift Product Code: MR6K-38

Putting my build table on the lift was an ideal solution for me with a not great lower back.

There are other brands making what seems to be the exact same thing but all seem way more than I paid, I was exactly at $2k to my doorstep.

Alex

PostPosted: February 28, 2021, 4:28 pm 

Here's the first 'real' start after fixing a *minor* wiring issue. I forgot that megasquirt is stupid and requires you to wire cyl A, B, C...F in firing order, not cylinder order. You would think I'd remember this from my last project but it's confusing because you also have to input your firing order in the tuning software so one could assume it was going to fire the cylinders in, you know, the firing order. I think I read the directions last time and then figured I didn't need to this time. Oh well, it runs great on full sequential now and VVT seems OK even with the odd shaped cam wheels.

Something is weird with the sound clipping on my phone, it definitely doesn't get quieter on throttle! Sounds great so far. Need to get timing sorted out (messed with that map A LOT while trying to get it to run with 4 cylinders out of order) and some basic accel enrichment, then dyno time for the bulk of the tuning.

That's also just the default dash, I don't plan on so much redundancy with the analog gauges.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5l-a-PPY4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Alex

PostPosted: February 28, 2021, 6:49 pm 

Nice! Your car looks great and sounds great too, that dash is awesome!

I wasn’t able to get your link to work, but copied and pasted all inside the [youtube] parts and it came up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5l-a-PPY4&feature=youtu.be%5B
Regards,
Eric

PostPosted: March 7, 2021, 11:16 am 

First drive yesterday! No surprises, it ran great for zero tuning.

Happy with everything except brakes, I think I'm one size too big on the masters. Pedal is super high and firm but takes big effort. I'm going to wait until they're bed in but likely will need to step down. I never did the math on these, just put in a middle of the road size figuring the best math I could do would be based on a ton of assumptions anyway (pad mu, etc).

The trans is so perfect! The rest of the car is surprisingly docile, ride is good like I remember, steering is light and fast, tons of torque, and it's pretty quiet but the trans just screams racecar! After a long time off a bike I rented a motorcycle in Phoenix a week ago and I'm glad I did just before this drive. Something about the sequential trans just keeps you involved as a driver/rider no matter what else is going on and this car is super similar in overall feel to that sport/adventure bike. It's clanky in a good way, I'm glad I put the guibo in the driveshaft and put back in the diff bushings to take the edge off the driveline bumps but I love the sounds.

So, now lots more tuning and an eventual dyno session while I wait for a title. Needed to put safety glass in, was hoping to skate through without it but no dice. It's really the only dumb Michigan law, I can't complain too much. That's ordered and easy to pop on to get through the inspection (and, I mean, certainly for the rest of the life of the car, of course...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNlZQ03 ... xMacDonald

Alex

PostPosted: March 7, 2021, 1:07 pm 

It's much quieter than I expected. I'd say a congratulations is in order. Congratulations.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 7, 2021, 6:30 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
It's much quieter than I expected. I'd say a congratulations is in order. Congratulations.

Cheers,

Thanks!

Yeah, it's too quiet at idle! I have the cams parked at lowest overlap until I get to tuning the VVT PID control so that certainly helps it idle extra calmly. Gets pretty snorty at higher loads, jury is out on the overall sound until I get above 3k RPM and get the cams moving.

Alex

PostPosted: March 7, 2021, 8:27 pm 

it's a great feeling when you get to this stage.

Are the brakes slowing/stopping you OK? Brakes working as they should but with a too high pedal effort can be an indication of the pedal ratio being too small. A 6 to 1 is the minimum I would think and 7-1 more the norm. Had the same problem in my Locoast. Originally had a 3-1 ratio. Problem went away with a different pedal set up that moved the pivot down and the push rod up. Now I'm right at 6.25 - 1 and the brakes are amazing. My pedals are floor mounted.

Cheers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next