LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: R.M. Classics Eight
PostPosted: November 5, 2018, 11:07 pm 

I guess I should pick up where I left off. I was having some issues with the lower A arm, the geometry was wrong and as was pointed out it was under-engineered. I cut it apart, corrected the angle and added a gusset. See before and after.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 6, 2018, 12:00 am 

Brakes front and rear are standard Mustang II stuff. I considered upgrading the rears from drum to disk but decided against it. It was a good decision, the brakes are more than adequate. Pedal box is an OBP universal kit car unit which fit the bill nicely. It came with the right cylinders and nice reservoirs. I did have to trim everything down due to the tiny foot well. Other than the wider track this car appears to be the same dimensions as an original Series 3 which means there's no room to spare anywhere. Brake lines are the copper nickel variety, I'm using a pressure style brake light switch which needs way too much pressure to actuate the lights. I'll have to come up with a pedal switch replacement.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 6, 2018, 8:10 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

A nice touring locost!

What is the story behind the suspension pic and toe link? Plenty of brake capacity, but it looks like the joints are at an odd angle. Appears the ubj could run out of travel in droop. At ride height, the joint body should be squared to the spindle boss (center of the range of motion) for equal movement available in droop or bump. On these spindles, the upper boss appears to slope down inward about 10 degrees but the joint is tilted up about the same amount. I guess you were running out of joint movement in bump?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 6, 2018, 11:17 am 

Thanks for the observation, I think the joints look like they're at an odd angle because the steering tie rod is disconnected and the wheel is at full deflection. You're also seeing the "before" picture, I was just trying to show the brakes. Further work was done later in the build.

PostPosted: May 2, 2021, 8:29 pm 

This might sound like deja vu but I have recently purchased an unstarted rm-eight kit. This was done entirely on the net and I have seen only pictures to this point. The deal included the spaceframe chassis assembly and all the body fiberglas panels in blue and white. There is also a Pinto engine from the early 70,s with twin downdraft Webers and the matching inlet manifold and a mated Ford four speed gearbox, brakes all round (but not sure what they are from), steering rack but no column or wheels, driveshaft and complete rear end assembly. There is also a Lotus 907 engine and gearbox which need rebuilding. I suppose that there could well be other small items as well but that is the major list at this point.
Because of the Pandemic I have no idea when it will be possible to actually get all this stuff here but it does leave a lot of time for researching and planning.
So, as was said before on this forum, I am looking for any advice which you might have on how to best proceed from here. The front suspension certainly appears to be an area which will require a lot of advice!

PostPosted: August 29, 2021, 6:23 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Sorry Graham, but it appears your post was missed.

Start a build topic and post pics. I suggest having a photo editor to collect the pics on your pc hard drive as jpgs in 600x800 to post but whatever works for you.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 27, 2022, 2:27 pm 

The Pandemic finally allowed me to get the RMEight delivered and, amongst the chaos, it looked like this:
Attachment:
RM resize 1.jpg

Well, I was going to attach a couple of photos but did not figure out how to do it. Do pictures have to be attached in the form of a web page?

Anyway, I have done the full inventory and fixed up some minor problems with the frame and am now ready to attack the assembly. In reviewing the previous articles there seems to be no hard evidence as to what donor car would be used for this thing. It appears that I have U/L wishbones at the front and U/L trailing arms at the rear all supplied by RM. In addition there is a locating triangle for the rear axle in original Caterham packaging and it appears to fit. (there is also a duplicate set of the longer trailing arms also in Caterham packaging). The P/O supplied a rear axle with drum brakes as well as front spindles and disk brakes, all of which were sourced from a Triumph Herald. Is this a good idea? The spindles have no lower ball joint connector which will be a problem to begin with. I am also concerned about the odd angle of the balljoint receivers on all the wishbones as was pointed out by other owners in this post.

I have access to a complete wire wheel setup from an MGB and would consider that while retaining the RM wishbones and trailing links. Could the MGB kingpins be successfully used with the RM wishbones if the U/L balljoints were replaced with 1/2" rubber bushing style brackets (that could even overcome the odd-angle problem)? I would ultimately like to finish this project in the style of a Series II Lotus, so wire wheels and a Pinto engine would fill the bill nicely if they could be arranged successfully.

thanks for any advice