LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: May 24, 2022, 12:20 pm 

As indicated in my e-mail response, I mis-understood where the car was- don't know why. In any event, you are correct, I'm not going as far as Boston. Hope for the best with the move

PostPosted: May 26, 2022, 12:02 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear you must sell at this late stage. Good luck with the sale. If you end up storing it, fuel prices may come down from the stratosphere later in the year, and maybe make moving it more attractive.

Regards,

Thanks Lonnie.

I have gotten quite a few inquiries, but only one offer- it would not have covered what I have in the motor. So, I politely said no.

I may end up as you have suggested above. Have a couple more weeks before I need to pull the trigger on "next step" for the car.

PostPosted: June 22, 2022, 1:45 pm 

Well, today the auto transport company came to take my car back to WI.

I had a lot of inquiries to purchase, and 4 offers- only three of which I would entertain. And those three I said "yes" to only to have each "buyer" then say "I thought I had my other car sold, I thought I could get there this week, etc". What a bunch of FLAKES!

If you do not have the funds, wife's permission, skillset or dollars to hire help to complete the car- DON"T OFFER TO BUY IT! I was brutally honest when describing what was left to be done with the car. Even told a couple of guys that what was left to be done might be a bit more that what they had said was their skillset was capable of and pocketbook might be able to hire done. I did not want to mislead anyone.

I even was told by the last guy that I seems like an "honest enthusiast". Nice complement, but I would have rather had him complete the transaction rather than decide, after he'd talked with buddies at a bar, and come back with " I would have to change too many things and I would be upside-down in costs". And this was he said he was excited as that it was exactly what he had been hunting for several months, the right size, motor and stage of finish so he could do the final finish to his liking. Meanwhile, I await his wire of funds and instead of calling me, he sends me a text. :evil:

So, my wife and I talked about it, and we decided to ship it back so I can finish it.

Haven't quite decided if I'm happy that I get to finish it or "Damn, now I have 3 cars to finish"!

Attachment:
Locost shipping to WI.jpg

The toughest part was the cost to ship right now! Almost $2k! Between the cost of fuel and fewer drivers, it was difficult to even find a reputable company to even handle it on short notice. I looked at moving it myself. But that meant I would have to rent a truck & trailer here to move it to my buddy's house, drive back to WI with my wife in our car (it can't tow a trailer), drive my SUV back to Boston, rent another trailer- one way and drive back (2 days, 1100 miles & one nite's hotel stay and meals & gas) to WI. The cost for that trip was $1600 with the cost of fuel and the trailer rental (that has almost doubled in the last 3 yrs alone).

Most likely will not get back to working on it until I get the 67 Mustang finished and sold this summer. That will empty up my workshop.

But I will still be around the site when I get settled.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 23, 2022, 9:33 am 

Economically, I'm sure it would have been better to sell, but at another level, I'm glad you didn't. I'll look forward to seeing you back on the build after your Mustang has been finished.

Good luck with your move too,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 24, 2022, 7:55 am 

Thanks Lonnie!

It is bittersweet. The car arrived yesterday- 24 hrs later! Smooth delivery. I can highly recommend Easy Auto Ship! It WAS easy!

It looks a bit lost in the new garage.
Attachment:
Locost in WI.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 24, 2022, 9:33 am 

Glad you kept it. Looks like the only way I get to drive it though is to go to Wisconsin.
Paul

PostPosted: June 24, 2022, 11:09 am 

JPS Europa wrote:
Glad you kept it. Looks like the only way I get to drive it though is to go to Wisconsin.
Paul

Would welcome a visit from you Paul!

Never thought it would take this long to get it on the road! COVID did change so much!

Whenever people ask me about what it will look like, I show them a photo of your car! They are most impressed.

PostPosted: August 22, 2022, 7:25 pm 

Well, I have not gotten back to the Locost yet as far as construction. But I did purchase a set of seats for the car. I had not been happy as to how tight the Kirkey seats fit. Even after I had "squeezed" the seats with clamps (could only narrow them about an 1"). They rubbed on each side. The passenger's seat was fixed, but it left no room for finish inside on the vertical frame or tunnel.

So, I saw these on Craigslist. They came out of a Porsche 550A Spyder replica. I have mentioned previously that the Porsche 914 seats are narrow & light.
Attachment:
Porsche 914 seat.jpg

But in the recent years they have become very expensive for even seats that need recovering! This seat is very simular in style- without the integrated headrest. They are very light!

These were replaced do to the owner having a "size" issue with them being too tight a fit. His loss, my gain!
The new seat is just sitting on the Kirkey seat
Attachment:
550 Seats -1.jpg

Attachment:
550 Seats -2.jpg

I like the look! A bit more "period correct" style.And they have more clearance on the sides.

If anyone is interested in my Kirkey seats- I can make you a great deal!

PostPosted: August 22, 2022, 8:13 pm 

Those seats look great. I too am using 914 seats but mine came with the headrest. Didn't like the look in the Locost so I cut the headrests off. Lucky for me I was informed of the 914 seats around 2010. They were reasonable then but I have seen such a price increase it's scary! 914s were pretty much disposables then. Now they are collector newest golden child.

Did have to put new covers on the seat cushions. Back then I got 2 for what one costs today.
Cheers!

PostPosted: August 22, 2022, 8:55 pm 

Those look terrific!

PostPosted: August 22, 2022, 8:59 pm 

Thom,
Those look great! Was there any indication of a manufacturer or part number in them?
Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: August 23, 2022, 12:10 pm 

I did not see a mfg name. But I will look closer. I understand they came out of either a Thunder Ranch or Beck's 550 replica. You might check out their web sites for seat availability.

PostPosted: August 24, 2022, 12:40 pm 

I believe the seats came from GT Classics.

https://www.classiccarseats.com/classic-seats/

PostPosted: October 20, 2022, 12:13 pm 

Looking at getting back to my project. I have never been happy with the way my rear aluminum sheet formed around the top corner radius's. I had used 3001 Alum. I think I left too much material and it cracked & buckled when I tried to work the alum.

I found some 5052 sheets (4' X 10' X 0.05"0 near me for a great price.

What have the rest of you been using?

Attachment:
Pass side curve.jpg

Attachment:
LR corner.jpg

Attachment:
RR corner.jpg

PostPosted: October 20, 2022, 1:14 pm 

I used 3003H14 0.040" thick. It was fairly easy to work. From what I read 5052 rapidly work hardens, and requires more frequent annealing during the folding process. 0.050 is not doing you any favors either.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next