LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 26, 2020, 3:26 pm 

After reading so many of the build threads, my time has finally come.

I've been fascinated by Locosts for a long time, if I remember correctly, due to an article in Grassroots Motorsports. My first mention of wanting to build one that I could find was in a chat with a friend on June 1st, 2009 when I mentioned reading build threads. Yes, I've been lurking on this site for over a decade dreaming of my own build.

I'm a computer programmer and a collector of hobbies. I typically dive in head-first to new hobbies, then move on after a few months, but that has slowed down after becoming a dad (to twins no-less). While my hobby time has diminished, the kids are getting a little older that they might be able to putter around the garage without making too much of a mess in the coming years and I want them to be part of the build process.

The plan for the car is to build a McSorley +400 frame and use donor parts from my 1992 S-10 truck (4.3L V6). I want it to mainly be a cruising car capable of longer drives wile also being able to hit a track or two. I loved traveling to car shows in my early and mid-20's and think it would be fun to spend some future weekends doing so by taking one of the kids for a day in the car we built together, then hit a track the next day for some spirited driving.

I'm currently a little over a month into my build, but will try to get caught up and keep this thread up to date with my successes, failures, and pounding of my head against the wall. I have been posting pictures on Instagram (@DrivenToBuild) but look forward to the people I meet and encouragement (hopefully) I'll get from this forum.

Attachment:
IMG_20200626_173907096.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170101_220509114_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 27, 2020, 4:56 pm 

My first order of business (after cleaning out the garage) was a build table. My concrete slab has some pretty bad cracks and saying it is uneven doesn't do it justice. I knew I'd have to be able to level it, but also wanted to be able to move it out of the way if the boss wanted to park in the garage in the winter. I found some casters with leveling feet built-in on Amazon and got those on the way.

As far as structure, I wanted to be able to level the table so I could ensure my chassis was straight and level while not worrying about the table collapsing under the weight of steel, engine, transmission, and myself for testing my own fit in the car. I couldn't find 1" MDF locally, so I settled on 3/4" MDF on the top of the table with four 2x6's running the length of the table.

The legs would be made of six 4x4 posts that the leveling casters would screw into with lag screws. Those are braced a bit under the table as well as adding a shelf for storage. I made sure the engine hoist would slide under the shelf with some room to spare. I also made the front two legs inset from the edge a bit as I read putting them in the corners could prevent the legs of an engine hoist from easily getting the engine in and out.

The last piece was adding a surge bar and bottle opener on the side for powering tools and myself respectively.

Attachment:
Basic Table Bottom.jpg

Attachment:
TableReadyToFlip.jpg

Attachment:
TableReadyForMetal.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 27, 2020, 11:30 pm 

Well TH let me welcome you to the puzzle palace here. A bunch of greater builders/guys you will not find on any other build site.
I can tell you are on the right track by looking at your well planned build table. Thinking ahead about the engine hoist is a must. I lucked out building mine, hadn't even thought about it, but I had 1/4" height to spare. Not only does the lower shelf add storage space, I believe it adds to the rigidity of the table. Some diagonals will also help sturdy the table.
Including the kids is great. The one thing I drill into my grand kids is when I'm welding/grinding they're not going to be in the shop, just looking out for their safety.
I have some basic questions for you.
I like to call a person by their first name, what's yours?
Where in North America is this build taking place?
Are you going to take lots of pictures and save them to this site? I like pics.
What other hobbies did you partake in?

That's all for now, all the best on your build, it's something the whole family will enjoy when it's finished.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 28, 2020, 10:03 am 

horchoha wrote:
Well TH let me welcome you to the puzzle palace here. A bunch of greater builders/guys you will not find on any other build site.
I can tell you are on the right track by looking at your well planned build table. Thinking ahead about the engine hoist is a must. I lucked out building mine, hadn't even thought about it, but I had 1/4" height to spare. Not only does the lower shelf add storage space, I believe it adds to the rigidity of the table. Some diagonals will also help sturdy the table.
Including the kids is great. The one thing I drill into my grand kids is when I'm welding/grinding they're not going to be in the shop, just looking out for their safety.
I have some basic questions for you.
I like to call a person by their first name, what's yours?
Where in North America is this build taking place?
Are you going to take lots of pictures and save them to this site? I like pics.
What other hobbies did you partake in?

That's all for now, all the best on your build, it's something the whole family will enjoy when it's finished.

Thank you for the warm welcome. My son is super interested in cars already. Just yesterday, I came into the living room and he had the build book open "doing research." My daughter has the attention span of a hummingbird, but she loves being in the garage and, especially, swinging from the bars hanging off the rear of the table. Still, they like wearing my ear protection around when I'm doing work. I definitely kick them out of the garage when I'm grinding and welding, but they enjoy watching the horizontal bandsaw do its work (from a safe distance).

My name is Tony and I live in Des Moines, IA. If there are any other midwestern builders who come across this, please reach out as I'd love to compare notes and maybe schedule a field-trip someday. As I mentioned, I am a collector of hobbies, though it has slowed down since the twins came around. I do play rec league ice hockey most of the year which usually means I lose one night in the garage every week due to games. I am a computer programmer by trade and love technology, but also grew up on a farm so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty or tear something apart just to figure out how it works.

I'm definitely planning on taking plenty of pictures. I started an Instagram account for this build and it is where I've been posting most of my pictures, but I'm also planning on posting many of them here as well along with comments, questions, and general frustrations throughout the course of my build. I was very active on automotive forums in the 2000's and early 2010's and miss the interactions and discussions I had with many friends I made through the various clubs and groups I was a part of. I'm glad to see how active this forum still is and look forward to the friends I'll make here.

Attachment:
DoingResearch.jpg

PostPosted: August 28, 2020, 10:45 am 

Now that we have a build table, the next step is to build something on it. A trip to the local metal supplier got me a decent deal on 1x1" 16ga, though they only had four sticks of it at the time. Enough to get me started, so game on! I took the future donor vehicle to pick up the sticks. Cut in half and with an abundance of ratchet straps, I got them home without trouble. My dad let me do a long-term borrow of his old horizontal bandsaw (that very badly needed a tune-up) and my grandpa had an old 120v flux core welder he didn't need. Add in a combination belt/circular sander I picked up a few months back and it was time to get building.

Attachment:
SteelInTruck.jpg

I know many, many builders have had good luck using strips of wood screwed to their table to secure their bars before welding, but I had an idea kicking around in my head for some time. I enjoy 3D printing and wanted to make a bunch of brackets to screw the tubing to the table. I am still uneducated in 3D modeling software, so I drew up my idea and sent it to a buddy to see if he'd be willing to make it in CAD. About two minutes later, he sent me a file and I got busy printing.

Attachment:
PrintedBrackets.jpg

These 3D printed brackets worked better than I ever could have imagined. Using drywall screws, they give a very snug fit to the steel, but I can still tap it with a hammer to make very minor adjustments if needed. Plus, I could print enough of them to secure the chassis to the table and hold things in place when I weld. Once I got the bars laid out and secured, I threw down my first few (UGLY) tack welds to hold things in place. I was so excited about building this simple box, I could hardly sleep that night.

Attachment:
InitialBox.jpg

The following nights led to more pieces getting cut, sanded to length, laid out, screwed down, tweaked, tweaked some more, measured for squareness, and giving a quick zap with the welder. It was so much fun to see the initial pieces coming together and the bottom of the chassis getting laid out. At this point, pretty much all of my "mindless time" (driving, mowing, pretty much anything that I can zone out a bit) is filled with thinking about which tube to cut next, how to cut compound angles, and tools that would make things go more smoothly.

Attachment:
SecondSection.jpg

I was a little nervous about my precision as I could never get exact cuts when working with wood on various house projects around the house. I could always get my cuts close, but even marking lines with a knife and being careful with saws, I just wasn't happy with the outcome. Thanks to the metal bandsaw and sander to bring the angles and length to where I need it, I was thrilled when I got the bottom rails done and was within about 1/20th of an inch of being perfectly square. I know welding will likely push and pull some of the metal, but getting that squareness made me feel pretty proud.

Attachment:
BottomTubes.jpg

The final step was bringing out the shop crew to check out the progress (Sorry, not sorry if you're already tired of kid pics.) They even stole my thunder by taking the car for its first drive.

Attachment:
FirstDrive.jpg

PostPosted: August 29, 2020, 7:46 pm 

You are off to a great start! I can’t wait until my daughter is old enough to safely join me in the garage!

PostPosted: August 29, 2020, 8:44 pm 

THansenite wrote:
sorry if you're already tired of kid pics

Tony, first of all, welcome here. Based on what we've seen so far it looks like your build log is going to be a joy to read.

Secondly, these days I literally cheer every time that I see a kid or grandkid in a shop, on a sports field or out in nature with their parents or grandparents and not sitting in front of phone, computer or TV. Cheers! Congratulations on being a great Dad. And, no, I don't get tired of kid pics (or dog pics in the shop either!).

PostPosted: August 31, 2020, 8:40 am 

I really like your table blocks! I suggest cleaning the tube ends a bit better and you will get much better welds (I am still learning too). I found these little wheels at HF work really well for me. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-80-grit-nylon-abrasive-wheel-with-14-in-shank-60324.html

Keep it up!

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: August 31, 2020, 11:18 am 

Welcome. I really enjoyed the photos of your crew too.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 31, 2020, 4:23 pm 

Thanks for all the support! I'll definitely look into those abrasive wheels and maybe even convince my dog to be in a picture on of these days.

I think my wife got sick of me talking about how much I loved the table blocks as one time she came out to the garage and pointed to one. She said, "Wow, those are a good idea, do they work well?" with a smirk on her face.

It was exciting to begin working on the vertical bars of the car. Going from two dimensions to three was an amazing feeling. As much time as I had spent measuring and checking for square on the bottom was amplified with the addition of the Z-axis. Still, I was able to make decent progress, even when working carefully.

Attachment:
GoingVertical.jpg

I'm sure many of you can attest to the front L-bars for the nose and the difficulty of trying to cut precise compound angles. Even after loads of time spent on the sander, I had to redo the passenger-side bar. Luckily, I had made something resembling a jig and I could get things tacked into place enough to put the piece on the car, then cut out the temporary brace piece until I was able to build a proper one.

Attachment:
MissingPassengerBar.jpg

Next was to move onto the rear bulkhead. I was really looking forward to this section as I felt it would start to give the car some shape and I'd be able to see the angle for the seat-backs. I had lightly tacked up the bars and everything was looking good until I tried getting the O-bar tacked into place. It wasn't quite level and I tried rotating it slightly to get it where I wanted it. Suddenly, the O-bar broke its tacks, and so did the rest of the bars being too-lightly held in place. My wife came out to the garage to check my progress about 30 seconds after the mangled metal hit the floor. Needless to say, she didn't stay out there for too long. I pride myself on very rarely using foul language, the only two places being when I'm playing hockey (I'm a goalie so it comes with the territory) and when I'm in the garage. There was cursing when everything fell. Luckily, I was able to get everything put back together with better welds and the second time was the charm.

Attachment:
TroublesomeRear.jpg

Better tack welds allowed me to make sure everything was square and level so it wasn't all bad. It was a lot of work, but fun to see come together and I felt really good once it was all tacked in. While my 3 foot bubble level got plenty of use, I also picked up a handful of tiny bubble levels that were great in doing quick checks on the bars to ensure everything was as flat as I wanted it. I always used my good level to verify everything, but the little guys let me know I was on the right track.

Attachment:
BubbleLevels.jpg

Attachment:
VerticalLookingGood.jpg

PostPosted: September 1, 2020, 12:10 am 

Hey Tony
Looking good!
Just looking at a pic of your frame on the build table. It looks like there is some colorful material on the storage shelf below your power bar. Is that flammable? I would be concerned with welding if it is, a spark could hid for quite a while before lighting up.
I don't like anything flammable like rags, garbage cans, paper towel, etc within a few feet of my build when I'm welding/grinding.
Just looking out for you and yours safety.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 1, 2020, 7:27 am 

I'll 2nd the " Is that flammable?"
Also you might want to look at the option of lowering the rear locations on N-1 and N-2, about 1 1/2 to 2" which make the cockpit a lot more comfortable.
Real Nice Work :cheers:
Davew

PostPosted: September 1, 2020, 10:43 am 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Those are foldable camp chairs under the build table for the time being. Good call on getting those relocated. I've done a decent amount of welding since taking that picture but will have to find an alternative location in the garage to store them.

I thought about running the N bars lower, but I didn't find them too obtrusive when sitting in the car making engine noises the last time I did it. Plus, I think having them a bit higher will help my peace of mind while driving out on the roads filled with people more interested in their phones than what's sharing the streets with them.

PostPosted: September 1, 2020, 4:42 pm 

Next up was building the rear end of the car. As most of you who have used a sheet of MDF for your table know, this means extending tubes off the back of the table into unsupported space. It was shortly after this that I also realized I should have moved the build table closer to the front of my garage as I'm forced to do a funny little dance to get around the back of the car at times. A car buddy of mine wanted to come over to help so I figured having a second set of hands to hold the RU and V bars while I weld would be appreciated. While I was getting those ready, I put him to work grinding down some welds.

Attachment:
JCGrinder.jpg

Then, we got to the fun part of tacking in the rear section with the addition of W1/W2 bars to support things. I wanted to give the RU tubes something to rest on while we were getting things in place, but I had placed B1 at the very back of the table. After a little quick and dirty saw action, I cut out a "shelf" from scrap that temporarily gave us something to rest the rails against. It worked great! I had my friend holding everything by the V bar as I got the W bars fitted, checked (and double and triple checked) with a bubble level, and tacked. I don't know how I would have got it done without a second set of hands.

Attachment:
BasicLayout.jpg

The following day, my car was given a surprise visit from my Quality Control Manager. She loves climbing and hanging on things, so of course, she went to the freshly tacked up rear end. Not going to lie, when I saw her there, I held my breath hoping the tacks wouldn't break, but they held strong and I got her approval. Onward!!!

Attachment:
QCCheck.jpg

Next was the fun part of making the upper support plates and adding in the support infrastructure. I got my first exposure to making precise angle cuts with round tubing. Patience at the sander got everything lining up correctly. The top plates amounted to a lot of welding and grinding since I used flux core wire. That stuff is so messy, but after some caresses with the grinding stone followed by some passed with a flap wheel, it looked slightly better. I don't know why, but it felt really good getting the top plates welded onto the car. Also, the round tubing sticks out a little bit from the top plate. It actually sits pretty snugly in place on the 3/4" bar, but it sticks out a bit to keep the angles consistent.

Attachment:
TopPlateCloseup.jpg

Attachment:
RearFromBack.jpg

PostPosted: September 7, 2020, 1:17 am 

THansenite wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Those are foldable camp chairs under the build table for the time being.

Pretty sure I've got that same "bug" chair in the garage.