LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 23, 2021, 9:13 pm 

I know JD/Gonzo asked this question long ago and got an answer, of sorts, but I've long since lost the answer. If I ever knew it to begin with.

Is there a way to download this build log for posterity? I'm so terrified of losing it as I know that he got really bad about keeping his own "build log" once he started really posting things here. And of course, his build log information doesn't contain his colorful writing or the many and wonderfully "colored" friends he made here. I would just love for my grand kids to ask about him one day and to have some great stories to share with them in his own words.

Is there ANY hope someone knows how, or has the computer savvy to reverse-engineer the coding to get JUST THE FACTS out of it. I would love to have the associated pictures to go with stuff, but that isn't nearly as important as his words. His verbose, witty, sarcastic, self-deprecating, craziness was so much of what made him unique - particularly on this build log. He was quite proud of all the "views" he had on his log - though he would NEVER have admitted it. :lol:

Thank you all,
TWWTFM aka JD's empowerer
I did love to hear him try to convince all of you how WONDERFUL I was about letting him use the dining room table when in reality I just loved it when he came inside to do stuff so I didn't have to go to the "shed." Ya know, that 3-car garage/shop behemoth that takes up 1/3rd of my yard!

PostPosted: March 28, 2021, 6:01 pm 

Somehow we all missed this a month ago...oh yeah, it was her second post and still needed a mod's approval. So mea culpa.

Anyway, Gayle, now that you've had two attagirls, you can post without adult supervision.

The thread she's speaking of is viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8526&start=4680
(AKA <JD's "Mallock Tribute" Build>)

PostPosted: March 28, 2021, 7:02 pm 

I have a feeling you'd have to reach out to someone that has deeper workings in this forum then your average moderator.

In a quick search to try to find you an answer I came to the idea of using "Print View" and then microsoft has the ability to "print to PDF" you'd have to do every page (all 313 and counting) individually, but it would be something you could back-up. It would also include the pictures!

Make it a party, I'm sure you could recruit a few hands to help you, the 300+ would go by much quicker if you don't have the time.

PostPosted: March 28, 2021, 9:01 pm 

Gayle, I can tell you it can be done. I can't remember who did it for me on my build some 8 years ago. It included all the pictures too. It certainly was not a feature built into this website. It took more talent than I have.

I will add that I miss JD's unique sense of humor. I think of him often.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 28, 2021, 10:27 pm 

Gayle, I've downloaded my build log as PDF pages, much like how kabuku6 described. I'll write up the process (for a pc) and post it here in the next couple of days. The process is time consuming but can be done page by page over a period of time. I did it to maintain a reference file in case the forum went through another "lost pages" phase. JD's pages could become the basis for a book.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 28, 2021, 11:45 pm 

Gayle please PM me your mailing address. I just saved the 313 web build pages to PDF and made a couple of CD copies for you. It's crude, you have to open each page to read (and depending on the content each web page can contain 6-8 pdf pages), then close it and open the next page. And there are pages where there are no pics (the great crash a couple of years ago).
I'll put them in the mail soon as I get your mailing address.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 29, 2021, 1:51 am 

Gayle, looks like Perry did the heavy lifting on this and has saved all of JD's pages as PDF's. Good on you, Perry.

For others who would like to save build logs, etc. Here's the process I use on my PC. As JD would say: Your mileage may vary.

Before saving a set of forum pages you may want to make sure the oldest post is on Page 1 so the posts can be saved in sequence: Go to the User Control Panel, click Board Preferences, click Edit Display Options and then make sure Display Post Order Direction is “Ascending.” Click "Submit" to save this change. (For day-to-day viewing I leave this set to “Descending.”)

Going back to forum posts, display the forum page you want to save, then click “Print View” in the gray band towards the upper left side of the page. This condenses the view somewhat.

Click on your browser’s Print function to print this web page. This will bring up a Print window. Change the printer selection to “Microsoft Print to PDF” (you may have to scroll through several printer choices to find this) then click “Print.”

This brings up a “Save Output As” window. Choose the folder you want to save into and the file name for this page (e.g., Page xx.) Click “Save” and it gets stored as a PDF. The ten or so paper pages involved are not printed.

When done saving a number of pages you may want to go back and change your Display Post Order Direction to “Descending.” And next time you want to print something to paper you may need to reset to your regular printer.

Hope this is useful.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 29, 2021, 9:01 am 

Good on you Perry for doing that for her! :cheers:

PostPosted: March 31, 2021, 9:23 pm 

Still waiting for a PM with mailing address. Not to worry, I'm not going anywhere

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 11:04 am 

Hey Perry,

If you're interested you can google "merge pdf" and it will give you multiple tools/ways to merge all of the individual pdf's into a single document. It might take a little while....I've done a simple merge of 6 pages into one and that took me about 2 minutes once I'd learned the process. It was a drag and drop process.

If you do it I'd love to get a copy of JD's build log. I remember the day that I discovered it, somewhere around page 115 if I remember correctly, and I read the whole thing in one sitting as I was stuck in bed, really sick at the time. It made that day go past very well.

Bill