LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: February 18, 2022, 12:04 pm 

Congratulations on getting started on the center console. You got a lot done on the handbrake area.

Depending on what kinds of tools you have on hand, or are willing to buy, there are some different approaches that might save you a lot of time. It looks like maybe you were striking the metal with either the ball peen end, or the edge of the flat head. Those little marks are going to be time consuming to remove. There are some approaches using what's generally called hammer forming that might be easier to do in the end, especially if you have an air compressor. Air hammers are just a few bucks.

There are some good videos on the technique(s) on YouTube.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 18, 2022, 6:57 pm 

I just used a ball peen. It's essentially just to give it some shape. I got my flipping spoon and planishing hammer standing by. My bumping hammer would probably have been the best choice. I was going to do a whole plywood form for beating the panel, but decided to just have at it. Most of the bottom part of the recessed part will be getting cut out for the brake handle etc..., but I know what you mean about the marks.

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 1:24 am 

Well it's been some time since I got to work on her. Life got really busy for a while. I did manage to purchase a pedal box, a fuel tank and continue a bit on the wire frame for the nose cone. Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time on her.

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 11:27 am 

Happy New Year. I'm curious as to why you bought a new set of pedals and master cylinders instead of using the Fiat pedals that mount as an extension of the steering wheel frame?

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 12:02 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Happy New Year. I'm curious as to why you bought a new set of pedals and master cylinders instead of using the Fiat pedals that mount as an extension of the steering wheel frame?

I would love to have used them, but it's about room and seating position. Even though the Spider is a small car, it is spacious versus a Locost. I played around with it, and couldn't get a position where the pedals, wheel and seat gave me a decent seating position. The seat height is significantly lower in the low cost. To bring the pedals down, I would have had to bring the wheel down. Which in turn would make me require a crane to get my fat ass back out. There is also an issue with the Fiat pedal box hitting crossmember "P" of the book chassis.

It also gives me the ability to remote mount the brake reservoirs etc... rather than fight with the fit and placement of the Fiat brake cylinder/booster.

PostPosted: January 2, 2023, 10:20 pm 

Starting the paper template for the nose cone. Then cut sheet metal, form it and wheel it.

PostPosted: January 4, 2023, 4:44 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

mohle wrote:
BHRmotorsport wrote:

It also gives me the ability to remote mount the brake reservoirs etc...

And no residual pressure valves needed. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 30, 2023, 9:51 pm 

Any update available?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6