LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 10, 2022, 2:59 pm 

Years later and progress finally got to the a point I am happy.

Probably there is an old thread but I built the car with a miata engine. I never loved it as it was always sluggish and did not meet what I expected in terms of performance.

Up next we tried a Chevrolet LTG motor. Bought everything, pulled the old engine and tried to install the new one and everything was wrong, Too tall where it couldnt be, wider in the trans area etc. Eventually I gave up and saw the Kmiata kit. After a call or 2 to David I decided on a K20Z3 engine with a BMW transmission.

The swap was far more expensive than I thought it would be but I am generally happy. On a dyno outing we found a bunch of issues (such as the turbo heat melting a boost hose flat and getting unlimited boost). Tuning it was problematic but a few days later I found a vacuum line that was disconnected. Connected it up and it runs like a machine! Press the gas lightly and everything is fine. Nail it and you have 400+hp come to life and tires start talking!

More build photos and story on www.exportedafrican.com

Here are a few pictures.

Attachment:
IMG_6970.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_6802.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_6971.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_6426.jpg

Realized I dont use Facebook anymore so glad "old fashioned" forums still exist!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 10, 2022, 4:17 pm 

I have a K24A2 in my car. I am thinking about turbocharging it. I love your turbo location, I had not thought of that positioning.

Graham

PostPosted: March 10, 2022, 5:10 pm 

FastG wrote:
I have a K24A2 in my car. I am thinking about turbocharging it. I love your turbo location, I had not thought of that positioning.

Graham

It fits well and let’s a lot of heat out of the engine bay. Only problem with the turbocharger is traction. I’m going to have to try a traction computer because it is not even close.

PostPosted: March 10, 2022, 5:23 pm 

I am aiming for a more modest power gain just because of the traction problem. I am thinking of using a G25-550 with a big external waistgate to I can keep it under control. I would love to Rotrex it but it just to complicated, I think it's outside my abilities. The chassis really pinches down towards the front of the engine so there is very little space. It would need a custom alternator and Rotrex mount.

Graham

PostPosted: March 10, 2022, 7:44 pm 

Your car looks totally badass. Do you have videos of it posted anywhere?

I'll have to confess I don't know where a K20Z3 engine comes from. It sounds Japanese from the designation.

Cheers,

P.S. Where did you get those rear fenders?

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 10, 2022, 7:50 pm 

K series motors are from Honda. Millions of them out there, one of the best 4 cylinder engines ever. K20 is 2 liter the K24 is 2.4l. The lower power ones are in Accord, crv, Element, Civic. The higher performance models are in Acura or Type S civics. The higher performance models have variable valve lift and timing.

Mine puts out 219rwhp basically bone stock.

Graham