LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 193  Next
PostPosted: July 30, 2021, 5:30 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Makes a full timing set replacement on a ford sohc 4.0l-v6 seem minor.

Make sure your emergency door poppers work properly in case you loose electrical power. The door inside latch doesn't open the door without power.

REFERENCE DELETED

I'm sure driving a corvette around is probably a lot more fun than welding and grinding. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Last edited by Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F on August 3, 2021, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 31, 2021, 12:03 am 

I think I would be happy eating my dinner off that transaxle, what was used to clean it up so nicely? Also I had not seen reference to your Z06, would you mind if I get some corvette ride height dimensions from you in the future? I am using similar C6 running gear in my build so having a reference vehicle that is from a trustworthy source would be enormously helpful. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 31, 2021, 10:52 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:

Make sure your emergency door poppers work properly in case you loose electrical power. The door inside latch doesn't open the door without power.

https://corvettec7stingrayexposed.wordp ... eath-trap/

I'm sure driving a corvette around is probably a lot more fun than welding and grinding. :cheers:

That's a very interesting article, although the guy really seems to have a anger issue. It's not an issue with my generation of Corvette (Google search), but it did lead me to the emergency fuel door release location, which I appreciate.

Thanks,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 31, 2021, 11:21 am 

Kinetic Research wrote:
I think I would be happy eating my dinner off that transaxle, what was used to clean it up so nicely? Also I had not seen reference to your Z06, would you mind if I get some corvette ride height dimensions from you in the future? I am using similar C6 running gear in my build so having a reference vehicle that is from a trustworthy source would be enormously helpful. :cheers:

I'd be happy to supply ride height info for you. Mine's a 2003 (C5) Z06, and I believe it is completely stock as far as the suspension goes. You undoubtedly know the C5's are easy to lower & raise with bolts at front and rear. I'm not sure if the C6 has exactly the same setup or not.

I wasn't present when it was cleaned, but they told me they just power washed it. The aluminum does not show any of the signs typical of using strong solvents or degreasers. which tend to dull the surface, so I think that's what they did.

Basically, all they do at that shop is Corvettes with an occasional Cadillac -V, or performance Camaro thrown in. They do routine repairs and maintenance, but it's primarily a race prep shop. It's fun to visit there. There's always 4 or 5 race cars to look at.

I thought I'd mentioned my Corvette in the past. Here's a photo of it.

Attachment:
Medium 3Qtr View.jpg

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 31, 2021, 1:03 pm 

Lonnie - i am using press in ball joints. I machined the BJ sleeves 1-1/4 tall to give me welding room for the 1" x 0.125 tubing.
I notched the tubes in my milling machine then made a fixture to weld it together. it is strong, simple and not too heavy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 1, 2021, 1:16 pm 

@Sean in CT

Thanks for the example, Sean.

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 1, 2021, 7:34 pm 

Rather typical of doing essentially a one-off, there is a constant need to evaluate and plan for the effects of various decisions on other things down the line. I've always planned to brace between the lower control arm tubes near the bushings. Some time back I came across an analysis of the effects of doing so, and it was substantially beneficial both in terms of rigidity of the lower control arm plus less twist of the control arm tubes under braking. That is more braking force actually absorbed in the chassis and suspension rather than the tubes themselves.

However, where you place the cross brace will have a direct impact on what your side body panels must look like. The Haynes Roadster book specifies an inward bend of an approximately triangular area in the side panels. That makes it easier to place the cross brace closer to the 2 lower control arm bushings. But most people don't do their bodywork that way. They do it like Champion did on page 105 of "The Book." I actually like that approach better myself.

Dropping a plumb bob down from the upper chassis rail to the build table, simulating a Champion-like side panel, that puts the cross brace out about 3-3/4" inches from the outer surface of the rear, lower bushing. Too far, I think, at least it will lessen its effectiveness versus being closer to the bushings.

Here is a finished car off the Internet that uses the Haynes Roadster bend, and also a cross brace. You can see it puts the cross brace much closer to the bushings, which I think is preferable.
Attachment:
Haynes front bend-in on side panel 1.jpg

Attachment:
Haynes front bend-in on side panel 2.jpg

Attachment:
Haynes front bend-in on side panel 3.jpg

For me, the benefits of a better lower control arm outweigh the aesthetics in this particular situation since the wheel and tire do cover the open area pretty well. I think I'm going to do as this builder did. However, I had to reason this all out and decide before I finished the LCA design.

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 2, 2021, 8:49 pm 

I took some time to go back through your entire build thread - wow, so much good stuff in here. Some real highs and lows, as life often throws us, but great to see the epic adventure continuing. I couldn't remember any reference to the corvette, so I decided to go back and double check - I only found mention of the drive in the Maybach, the S10 and the XK8. Your thread is sorely lacking in corvette tales, just saying.... :chev:

Since you have kindly agreed to help me out with data for my project I am going to have to borrow from JD Kemp and give you some extremely fancy highfalutin (yes, I looked it up - it is spelled that way!) title that rewards you in absolutely no way, other than the satisfaction of being able to use it. You are lucky as there are absolutely no other titles reserved currently so the choice is yours!

PostPosted: August 3, 2021, 7:05 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Lonnie-S wrote:

REFERENCE DELETED

That's a very interesting article, although the guy really seems to have a anger issue. It's not an issue with my generation of Corvette (Google search), but it did lead me to the emergency fuel door release location, which I appreciate.

Thanks,

Sorry about that. I remembered what happened with this fellow locked in his vette in Florida. I was looking for an article that hit the details and found this one but just skimmed it before posting. I won't be referencing anymore articles by this person, ever.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 12:52 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
I took some time to go back through your entire build thread - wow, so much good stuff in here. Some real highs and lows, as life often throws us, but great to see the epic adventure continuing. I couldn't remember any reference to the corvette, so I decided to go back and double check - I only found mention of the drive in the Maybach, the S10 and the XK8. Your thread is sorely lacking in corvette tales, just saying.... :chev:

Since you have kindly agreed to help me out with data for my project I am going to have to borrow from JD Kemp and give you some extremely fancy highfalutin (yes, I looked it up - it is spelled that way!) title that rewards you in absolutely no way, other than the satisfaction of being able to use it. You are lucky as there are absolutely no other titles reserved currently so the choice is yours!

Ha! Many thanks. I'm honored to be associated with JD in some way. He was the best.

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 12:55 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:

Thanks,

Sorry about that. I remembered what happened with this fellow locked in his vette in Florida. I was looking for an article that hit the details and found this one but just skimmed it before posting. I won't be referencing anymore articles by this person, ever.

No problem. I appreciate the effort, and it did lead me to something very useful, so it was a good thing.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 12, 2021, 4:03 pm 

I believe it's going to be November of 2021 before I get back to my build. I just have to many other real life issues that need to be handled. It could happen sooner, but that's my best guess at this time.

However, I do keep up with what's going on here every few days.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 24, 2021, 4:31 pm 

What happened to JD?

PostPosted: September 25, 2021, 12:47 am 

vroom wrote:
What happened to JD?

JD passed away of a sudden heart attack in early 2020.

PostPosted: January 29, 2022, 9:15 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
I believe it's going to be November of 2021 before I get back to my build. I just have to many other real life issues that need to be handled. It could happen sooner, but that's my best guess at this time.

However, I do keep up with what's going on here every few days.

Cheers,

Well, November turned into December, which turned in to January, but I'll be back on the Locost build tomorrow, Sunday.

It looks like I have all my C5 Corvette issues settled except the HVAC operation in "Auto Mode", but that can wait. It works fine in manual mode, and it's winter time anyway. The fuel sending units (1 in each side tank) are working now too, and the car is now OBDII error free, SMOG'ed and registered for the year.

I spent this afternoon looking at my Locost's front lower control arm (LCA) model in 3D, and checking the dimensions of it with my Suspension Analyzer software, and then verifying both jibed with the last table of manual measurements I took of the chassis out on the build table. It looks like designing the construction jig for the LCA will be my first real task after I rearrange my garage. I had moved things around to make it possible to have both doors open fully on the Corvette, so I could work on the dash, instruments & HVAC system.

So, I think I'm back on the Locost now.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 193  Next