LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 21, 2010, 2:55 pm 

Vanwyk4257 ,
yes that is a remarkable little engine. If your going to a carb. setup stick with a 390 to 500 CFM. And hang onto the fuel injection setup and harness and ECU, I'm interested in going to fuel injection in the future. Smitty

PostPosted: February 21, 2010, 6:52 pm 

The Volvo motor is 365lbs with stock manifolds, starter, alt and flexplate (flywheel is 10-15lbs more).
stock exhaust manifold is 23lbs header drops 10-15lbs. The m47 five speed is about 55-60lbs. I looked
at a 2.3 pinto donor here ( they get BIG hp out of these in the states) but it was over 2 inches taller than I
wanted and very heavy.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: February 21, 2010, 8:25 pm 

smitty wrote:
Vanwyk4257 ,
yes that is a remarkable little engine. If your going to a carb. setup stick with a 390 to 500 CFM. And hang onto the fuel injection setup and harness and ECU, I'm interested in going to fuel injection in the future. Smitty

I'll let you know if I hang onto the injection since I would rather do the carb setup for simplicity. I'm a ways away from getting started on my project do to space right now. I'd love to see more pics of yours.

PostPosted: February 25, 2010, 1:58 am 

Hi Smitty and thank you so much for your thoughts on the v8. I'm a ways down the decision trail to use a Chevy 4.3 v6 300hp/300tq, 2:20 Muncie 4 spd w/ a Camaro 10 bolt dif (posi 3.72) this time around for a scratch built 442. However, I must admit to an intense curiosity about the Rover lightweight V8, if for no other reason the sounds it must make at full song!! Yours appears to be very well put together. Do you have any idea what kind of power it delivers?? Was it an expensive build and would you do it again? What kind of rpm range are you working with?

You mentioned using Buick parts for the rebuild. I understand a weak point are the heads which have been characterized as rather limited in flow and prone to blowing head gaskets. Were you able to source Buick replacements that flow well or did you find the factory heads sufficient to provide similar power to my 6.

Sorry for the barrage of questions but haven't run across many aluminum v8 applications in the Locost arena. Your experiences and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Smitty
Regards,
Monte

PostPosted: February 25, 2010, 9:20 am 

Monte,
There are 2 books out on the Rover V8s, the newer one covers the bigger engines, & one on putting them in MGs. Get them through the library on interlibrary loan. Find out all you want to know without spending any money.
My build was ultra lo buck. I got the engine for free, ported it my self, had the block honed and the valves done. Added an Edelbrock intake, Crane cam & springs, oil pump upgrade, Holley 390cfm carb ($15 swap meet), ARP head and main studs & rod bolts, rings, bearings & gaskets.The only part badly worn was the rockers and shafts, replaced with after market Buick parts. Made the pan and pick-up, and the mounts for the engine, starter (Toyota), & Alt. (Kubota). Water pump was a rebuilt and the headers, mufflers, and flywheel are homemade. The lower end is basicly stock 10.5 to 1 CR. Put the data into my Eng. Analyzer (Performance Trends) and came up with roughly 265 to 280 HP. We find out when I fire it up.
I going gunning for the Super Stalkers. Yes I would do it again, and probably will.If this isn't enough to take them, I'll do a more expensive build starting with a 4.6 block, 300 Buick crank, SB Chevy rods, hydrualic roller and Fuel injection.
Yes the heads are the limiting factor, but they only need to breath for a 215ci (3.5L). With the bigger engine I'll need bigger valves and flow bench time. As it is, it should be enough to scare the [PooPoo] out of me!
Smitty

PostPosted: February 26, 2010, 12:41 am 

Excellent! I'm glad to know they are not ultra expensive to futz with and there is documentation out there as well. As a suggestion, you might consider cutting the CR a bit and adding a supercharger from the Stalker 3.8's. They are dead simple and inexpensive to add with a little "McGivering". If you made your own flywheel, you darn sure should be able to fab up a bracket or two to accommodate the interface with the Edelbrock and the junk yard availability of stock pulley systems.

Regarding superchargers in general:
I drive a 2003 Tacoma DblCab by choice and installed the TRD supercharger kit to be rid of the azmatic sound of the six when you ask it for a bit of go!! Turns out you trade the weasing for the whining sound of a Singer sewing machine!! However!!!! the 80+ horses that came along for the ride have been endlessly entertaining. Torque off of idle is astounding and installation took about 4 hours from the box to a drive around the block. The computer even re-calibrated itself to handle the boost. Mileage is the same, with the only down side is having to run 91 vs regular. While this was a factory kit obviously well thought out, I kept thinking as I was turning wrenches how easy this would be to adapt to just about any project car. Just a thought.

Good luck with the engine and do hope you will share first impressions as you fire it up for the first time. Care to offer a timeline to liftoff!?!?

Regards,
Monte
Fresno ca,

PostPosted: February 26, 2010, 4:19 am 

Use Olds F85 heads their much better tham Buick

PostPosted: February 26, 2010, 12:12 pm 

Hi Rich!

Thank you for the input! Sounds like you may have "been there n' done that"! Please expand on the thought.
What year Olds had compatible heads that would be suitable for our little tribe of builders? It would be nice to put a thread together of identified parts that are compatible as well as available! Would they fit on Smittys 4.3L. Rover based "next" build?

Would really appreciate your thoughts. By the looks of your profile, you are likely on the other side of 50 as I am!!?

Regards,
Monte
Fresno, Ca.

PostPosted: February 27, 2010, 6:12 pm 

Believe it or not all the local circle track guys know me as McGyver, the nickname one of them tagged me with.
Rich is right, I always refer to mine as a Buick, but Buick, Olds & Pontiac all used essentially the same motor with the exception of the Olds had different heads that breathed better, had a more efficient combustion chambers, and one more head bolt per cylinder. They were built from '61 to '63, but the valve covers canted out at more of an angle on the Olds heads. So, I don't think they will clear my frame tubes, although on a 4-4-2 chassis they should be fine. Rover bought the engine, and they were also used in Triumph TR8s, MGB V8s (although never imported to the US), TVRs, & Morgan +8s. Repco in Australia built overhead cam heads, destroked them and used Daimler rods in these motors and took a Formula 1 world championship in the sixties. Show me another pushrod based motor that can claim that!
As to a future build I said I would start with a 4.6L block, but by the time you re-sleeve, bore and stroke, I'd be well over 5 liters.
As to the supercharger, I've got a line on a free one, but I'm an admitted turbo-aholic, & I've got lots of them laying around. On top of that, I now work for Schwartz Performance building '60s muscle cars with wild twin turbo setups. Check out his website.
I'll try to figure out how I got the pictures on and get some more. Smitty

PostPosted: March 2, 2010, 6:12 am 

yes Im 69 yrs and have forgot more than I now know. the blocks were the same and just drill/tap the extra bolt holes. used them in 64 thru 70 road racing sport racers.

PostPosted: March 11, 2010, 9:33 pm 

What kind of sports racer? Mid or front engine? What was the rest of the drivetrain? Smitty

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 7:16 pm 

It's been titled and licensed. Build is finished, and I'm in the sorting stage. Freshened the motor over the winter and looking forward to getting it out and enjoying it this spring. It's an absolute hoot to drive. Albeit a bit scary needs more tire at the rear. I show it often but usually not judged. It really does not fit in any the traditional classes. When it did fit in, it took a trophy.
What I enjoyed the most was the kids. Kids at car shows are hounded, "Don't touch, Don't touch". And they are not tall enough to see under the hoods. I tell them "This ones just your size. Go ahead and touch. Jump right in there. Grab a hold of the steering wheel, act like your going really fast, and have Mom or Dad take your picture". The last two years at the Nostalgia Days Show in Zion IL, my brother and I shuffled at least 200 kids a day in and out of that car. When they ask way it's so low, he tells them I'm afraid of heights! Will send more Pics soon.

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 11:01 pm 

Recent photos would be nice. I look forward to seeing them.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 5, 2021, 7:30 pm 

Sorry to have been away so long. Too many projects and not enough time (and still working). I'll try to upload some more recent pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 6, 2021, 2:31 pm 

Quote:
I tell them "This ones just your size. Go ahead and touch. Jump right in there. Grab a hold of the steering wheel, act like your going really fast, and have Mom or Dad take your picture"

Love it!