LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
PostPosted: May 23, 2021, 1:14 am 

Trochu wrote:
Well, I'm closer to half your age than not and it took me more than a second to realize what you were talking about in your first post.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ha ha ha there you go, when I was your age I would be building cars with a back seat, now there is no need for back seats so I build Super 7's.
But I still think about it :lol: :lol: :lol:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 24, 2021, 11:42 am 

horchoha wrote:
Trochu wrote:
Well, I'm closer to half your age than not and it took me more than a second to realize what you were talking about in your first post.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ha ha ha there you go, when I was your age I would be building cars with a back seat, now there is no need for back seats so I build Super 7's.
But I still think about it :lol: :lol: :lol:

As I heard one comedian's quote their parents: "if they're in the back of the car sweatin' it up, someone locked them in the truck"

BMW 2002 donor, M10 motor, 4 spd trans, IRS, tube chassis.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20787

PostPosted: June 26, 2021, 11:54 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Very nice and clean looking. Will you be adding a license plate light and plate mount? :cheers:

Yup, as you're aware, need the light in Alberta. Went back and forth with a dedicated light, lighted frame, or lighted plate bolts and decided to proceed with the poorest choice. :( Should have gone with a dedicated light but went with the lighted bolts. Don't mind the look of it:
Attachment:
Resizer_16247654029061.jpg

Which is why I went with it, but what a pain to wire if you're ever going to take your plate off.

Also went with a fairly simple and traditional shift knob:
Attachment:
Resizer_16247654029060.jpg

Didn't grab a photo, but also got my dash indicator lights and side lamps working. Running out of excuses to get it inspected.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 3, 2021, 12:08 pm 

Hey Trochu any news? I'm in Lethbridge and want to know how easy (or not) it is to get registered! Great build by the way!

More.....more.....more.....too much take it away.

PostPosted: July 5, 2021, 5:56 pm 

jinca wrote:
Hey Trochu any news? I'm in Lethbridge and want to know how easy (or not) it is to get registered! Great build by the way!

Hey Jinca. I haven't done the hard one yet, but so far it's been pretty easy.

-Scheduled an appointment with VIN (Verification Services Inc.): https://assignedvin.ca/
Buddy comes and looks the car over, think they want to see it around 70% complete, and is basically just verifying that the car isn't built out of stolen parts. He wanted me to forward a list of receipts for the major components prior to his arrival. He came, did a look see, searched a few databases I believe, verified the list I forwarded, and assigned a VIN.

-Just got insurance today. :D This can be tricky depending on your broker. Lots of questions, is it RHD, whats the difference between "replica" and "Ubilt", is it a Kit, etc. I finally got tired of it, and called Perry's rep, thank's Perry!, and it was pretty painless. Wanted the same list of receipts to verify it's value (Could likely get an appraisal instead....), copy of DL, pay, and done.

-Out of Province Inspection. This is all I've got left and it's required, as the car has never been registered in the province. Maybe it will be painless, but I've been leery of it.

I've always thought it odd that a structural inspection of sorts isn't required. My welds could be utter crap, but as long as it has working flashers, good to go!

PostPosted: July 6, 2021, 4:10 pm 

Thought this was amusing and worth mentioning. Got a quote from my insurance broker, with whom I have the house and two vehicles insured through. It was $3,132.00/year. Cold called another agency out of the blue, they don't know me from Adam, same liability was $149/year, over 20x less. If your insurance isn't super affordable, unless maybe you're a bad driver, I'd recommend calling around.

Last edited by Trochu on July 6, 2021, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 6, 2021, 4:31 pm 

Try Grundy and Hagerty. Our cars are not a novelty to them. Mine through Grundy is $170 USD per year. Hagerty was similar.

PostPosted: July 6, 2021, 4:42 pm 

^ Good to know. Insurance cost hasn't been something I'd put too much thought into yet.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: July 8, 2021, 6:30 pm 

Hey Trochu,

I was under the impression that you needed an NVIS rather than an OOP if the car has never been registered before - at least that's what's posted on the wall in the registry closest to me. Maybe I should shop around! still a long ways off - just want to be prepared!

PostPosted: July 8, 2021, 8:29 pm 

jinca wrote:
I was under the impression that you needed an NVIS rather than an OOP if the car has never been registered before
Yeah.....no, in Alberta you need to register the vehicle make as a Ubilt, the model as a Roadster, the style as a Sports Car and then you only need an OOP. Hope this helps

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 11, 2021, 9:48 am 

Totally helps, that's good news! Thank you.

PostPosted: July 12, 2021, 3:11 pm 

One thing to keep in mind, when you get your Alberta assigned VIN, they give you the form to apply for an out of province inspection, and this form is only good for 90 days. So, there's no sense in getting your assigned VIN too early, as it will be a hassle to get another form for getting the out of province inspection.

The "Assigned VIN" inspector told me that the judgement of structural integrity was up to the out of province inspector. In effect, nobody wants to see it until it's finished. It's like when I built my own house, I applied for an electrical permit. They wouldn't come and inspect the job that I did until the house was move in ready, and all of the cover plates were on the switches and plugs.

cheers
Doug

PostPosted: July 12, 2021, 3:26 pm 

blownmiata91 wrote:
One thing to keep in mind, when you get your Alberta assigned VIN, they give you the form to apply for an out of province inspection, and this form is only good for 90 days.

Well, I hope that's changed as I wasn't told that and have had my VIN for about 6 months now. Buddy just said it had to be about 70% complete prior to providing a VIN. Guess we'll find out if it's changed or not....

Thanks again for the info!

PostPosted: July 23, 2021, 5:06 pm 

I'm ecstatic, my car is legal and I have a plate/registration and insurance!!! :-D

Not the most up to date photo, but had it out of the garage for the first time in years last week. Looks alot smaller out of the garage than in. Was ripping it up and down my 100' driveway last week, was getting rocks kicked up in my face without the fenders, and a pile of stones was in the seat when I got up.

Can't wait to get out and :drive:.

Started the build log on 9th January, 2010, no kids, living in northern BC. Alot has changed in those 4,213 days.

Car show in town tomorrow, think I'll enter.

PostPosted: July 23, 2021, 6:50 pm 

Hearty congratulations! Looks great too. By all means enter the show!

Best,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next