LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next
PostPosted: January 25, 2022, 7:41 pm 

Have to agree!

PostPosted: April 9, 2022, 2:16 pm 

Wow, what can you say. :(

Clearly I haven't been around much recently, and was wondering why JD hadn't emailed me for a while as we exchanged quite a few personal emails over the years. Lovely man, fun stories were told, good memories of those, and of course this thread. What a goldmine the internet can be to hold memories of a great person and a good friend, even on the other side of the world and having never met.

JD passed literally within days, if not the same day as me having open heart surgery, and a long recovery.

Time goes too fast, make the most of it folks.

PostPosted: April 9, 2022, 6:32 pm 

Good to hear from you, CheapR. Glad your recovery is going well. Miss hearing about your exploits on the far side of the world (and JD's interpretations of them.)

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: April 10, 2022, 9:34 pm 

@cheapracer

Ditto on seattletoms post. I hope we see you around these parts again.

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 12, 2022, 3:21 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@cheapracer

Lonnie

Sooner than later.

I will be test driving my latest build in a few days in fact, not what you will be expecting, I think I'll have to write "JD" on it before it turns a wheel.

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 1:12 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:
@cheapracer

Lonnie

Sooner than later.

I will be test driving my latest build in a few days in fact, not what you will be expecting, I think I'll have to write "JD" on it before it turns a wheel.

I've got something for you. If you contact JD daughter, "Hamdip" through this build thread, she may still have some of these cool stickers/decals like I've mounted on the license plate fixture for my build. To wit:
Attachment:
DSC05443.JPG

Looking forward to your latest build.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 14, 2022, 2:23 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:

I've got something for you.

Looking forward to your latest build.

Cheers,

Bit late, halfway around the world and the first drive will happen tomorrow or the day after, so a hand written "JD" has already happened.

I'll start an appropriate thread for it on the weekend or soon.

PostPosted: August 25, 2022, 10:57 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Short memory! Sorry for the rarity of the ingredients. I face the same problem here but to a lesser degree. Andouille is a little rare but I can find it in two places. One is at a dedicated meat market that makes their own sausage but I have to buy a minimum of 5 LBS to get them to smoke it. The one I use is also made locally but is packaged for retail business and is pretty good.

Tasso is another thing. I found a recipe that is scaled for home use. Uses 3 LBS of pork butt and is pretty decent.

I'm confidant your Gumbo will be one of the best thing your family has eaten since the Covid scare.

Best of fortune!

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so I was pretty excited when this had new posts. I tried making Andouille this year when we butchered at my parents place. Tastes good, but I dried it out a bit too much in the smoker. I did think of JD when I made it, and it seemed a bit appropriate, as we were in the middle of butchering a couple beef when I read about his passing too. I'll try making another batch next year, hopefully I get the smoker dialled in a bit better by then.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 13, 2023, 4:40 am 

Apologies upfront, this is not an official Team Slotus announcement.

I know a few of you probably are hanging out for an update like I am however until normal services resume I am going to hijack the thread.

You are all cordially invited to the inaugural 3rd Memorial JD Kemp Gumbofest on 24th January. Given we are all pretty much spread over the world and in different time zones it has to be a virtual event recorded on this thread. Entry is simple, all you have to do is raise a glass to JD on the day.

The rules are really lax, the liquid contents of the glass are up to the contestant and evidence of the contestants gumbo is required to be a reduced size image only due to site memory limitations - you all know the drill and don't anybody complain that we need to upgrade the site - highfalutin ideas are not welcome. Understandably some of you will be too busy with other things in your life and don't have the time to create a proper gumbo so you may steal images from the internet and those will be accepted. Also if you do actually make one take multiple photos with different backgrounds/props and you can then have a genuine submissions for the next few years of Gumbofest events and can bask in your efficiency.

After years of searching I have finally found a local source of andouille sausage and I am gunning for the top prize. Given how few posts are going on recently I think I have a really good shot. A judge has not been selected yet, however given JD's penchant for dubious human resource appointments I am also open to suggestions/recommendations/bribes. The Judge selection decision will be posted in 9 days time. In the case of nobody else competing I reserve the right to win by default and eat the 1st prize.

Good luck!

Marcus. :cheers:

PostPosted: January 20, 2023, 5:40 pm 

My daughter just made me think of JD this afternoon when she was saying her favourite colours are green and purple, so I told her a bit about JD and the Slotus. Unfortunately I won't be able to make a gumbo on the 24th as it's my brother's birthday and we're going there for dinner, but I'll be trying to make another batch of andoullie sausage in less than a couple weeks. If anyone has a great recipe for andoullie they'd like to share, I'm open to suggestions. That, and I lost the recipe I used last year. Got some home grown pork trimmings in the freezer and it'll get mixed with some home grown beef to hopefully make about 10 or 15 lbs.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 20, 2023, 9:42 pm 

Hi Kristan,

I have an older book on sausage making and has an Andouille recipe. I'll copy it and send it to you if would like.

Cheers

PostPosted: January 21, 2023, 8:55 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Hi Kristan,

I have an older book on sausage making and has an Andouille recipe. I'll copy it and send it to you if would like.

Cheers

That would be great, thanks. The recipe I used last year was pretty good, but unfortunately with so many things on the internet, I can't find it again.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 23, 2023, 2:53 pm 

Here it is...

My scan was a PDF and of course the board doesn't allow PDFs. So I had to convert it to a JPEG. Hope this comes out ok.

Best
Attachment:
Andouille.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 23, 2023, 10:40 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Here it is...

My scan was a PDF and of course the board doesn't allow PDFs. So I had to convert it to a JPEG. Hope this comes out ok.

Best
Attachment:
Andouille.jpg

Looks good, thanks. I'll post my results here once I've made it. The last recipe I tried had red wine and fried onions in it, but looked pretty similar otherwise based on memory. I mixed some beef in last year, maybe this year I'll try a batch of straight pork and one with beef added, seeing how we've got 2 cows and a steer hanging in the cooler.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 23, 2023, 11:23 pm 

Hi Kristian, I'm thinking adding some beef sure can't hurt. Personally I wouldn't go over 50% but that's a personal preference.

Used this recipe about 12 years ago. Was pretty good except we did try real hard to screw it up in the smoker. Got way over cooked.

cheers!

Just a reminder. Fat Tuesday is Feb.21. I'll have to make some gumbo for that ;<)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next