LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next
PostPosted: February 9, 2021, 9:21 am 

At the starting line of the autocross, your carb float bow should be full. Or the float is not set correctly. Try adjusting the stroke on the accelerator pump, increase the stroke. If that does not fix it, then you need a rebuild kit that has a new pump cup and possibly check valve balls or clean the seat area, both inlet and outlet ports.
Davew

PostPosted: February 9, 2021, 11:56 am 

HamDip wrote:
We took it to a autocross on Sunday. It was COLD.

I seriously doubt that!! :lol:

I live were the air wants to kill you, -33C (-27.4F) right now with a wind chill of -47C (-53F).

PostPosted: February 9, 2021, 12:05 pm 

Trochu wrote:
HamDip wrote:

I live were the air wants to kill you, -33C (-27.4F) right now with a wind chill of -47C (-53F).
Heck I'll take this weather, at least there's no mosquitos or horse flys :lol:

As for the Slotus, Hamdip, the first thing I thought of when you described the choking/hesitation issue is a weak accelerator pump.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 9, 2021, 4:34 pm 

Accelerator pump? I thought the SLOTUS had an F.I. engine???

PostPosted: February 9, 2021, 7:56 pm 

Trochu wrote:
HamDip wrote:

For South Georgia/North Florida where the humility is 100%+ and the wind is blowing, 47F feels like 20F. No, it's not below 0, but I would argue that wet cold is far different from dry cold. Wet cold get in your bones.

As for the rest...Imma let Earl discuss the finer points of old carburetors. I feel like he completely dismantled this one a while back, cleaned and reassembled. I seem to recall a horrific smell and telling him to clean it OUTSIDE and NOT to place it in the dishwasher.

JD wasn't happy with the wing when he finished. He never got to even test it. But he was right, one of the fins needs to be at a different angle and spaced differently. But it does exactly what he wanted it to do so he succeeded.

Oh, yeah, the foot box. I have NO idea how JD didn't have a problem with the spacing between the gas and brake pedals. They are about 3 inches too close together. I have skinny feet but even my Sparco race shoes are too wide to sit on the gas without grazing the brake. I do have plenty of space to shift the brake to the left. The clutch has lots of room.

Speaking of my race shoes, that's what I got for my birthday from Jamie. They are slightly too big length wise, but I think they'll work just fine. I did determine that I definitely need a heel stop. The foot box is solid aluminum sheet so it's all greasy and slippery so my heel has no place to sit.

There is so much to do before March 12th. Anyone want to come help? TWWTFM can cook.

PostPosted: February 10, 2021, 9:19 pm 

Hello everyone, this is Gayle aka TWWTFM It has been too long, but I want to thank all of you for the thoughts, prayers, gifts, and flowers you sent. I'm sorry it's taken me a year to do this!
This forum meant so much to JD. Each of you he chatted with he considered friends. Those of you we actually met, an those of you he spent hour talking to on the phone, or chatting with outside the forum,, were particularly special - you know who you are.

As Dee told you, she ran the Slotus this past Sunday and I'm so pleased she does. His legacy must live on. You all know what that car meant to JD. The blood (literally), sweat, and tears (those too), he poured in to it, as so many of you do.
The wing was his real triumph before he died. He didn't consider it finished, and I may have to get out there one day and see if I can do it justice, but it WORKS -as is! That is so fantastic!
Dee may have posted pictures before, I didn't check, but there were some good ones this weekend I thought I'd post.
Attachment:
FB_IMG_1612999139721.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 14, 2021, 5:26 pm 

Thanks for the update, Gayle. And, Happy Valentine's Day to you.

Best,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 14, 2021, 9:54 pm 

Thanks Gayle, your update put a smile on my face. Keep posting, all the best.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 17, 2021, 1:00 pm 

Did no one read MY message? Jamie wrote me up a synopsis of the event and the car.

Spoiler alert: After all of this transpired, he worked on the car a few days after the event. There was gas. Just not enough to warrant the car actually moving under any speed. He's not sure where all the gas went, but it wasn't in the tank. :drive:

Jamie's words:

Sunday - Dixie AutoX - 48 degrees F and damp

Took the Slotus out for a day of adventure, not really sure of what was going to happen. It was 48 degrees and wet. There were places on course that held water all day. The turn out was rather low considering the next event is an SCCA National Tour.
We warmed the car longer than usual due to the outside temperature. Tires were set a little higher trying to get as much temperature in them as possible.
The Slotus performed well except the carburetor did not like the cool weather at all. Once the car got going, all went well during the morning session. We are still working on the chassis setup since the addition of the wing. As confidence increases, the speed keeps going up. A big relief to all involved.
Everything went very well until the last runs and we started losing power. After a short deliberation, we found out there is a fuel pickup problem in the fuel cell. [Not, just lack of fuel, period.]
Before the next event we, meaning Earl, is going to replace the pick up hose in the cell. [Nope, just gonna add gas.] The other problem that showed up was the steering quickner unit is beginning to seize up. Plans are in the works to eliminate that because the power steering rack is faster rater so the quickner isn't needed as much. [Note: JD never intended to add power steering. He did it for me. The quickner was supposed to help him without power steering. So I'm pretty sure I caused the issue there.]
All should be ready for the next event in March as we continue to add to the Slotus story. So stay tuned in when HamDip says, "Is it OK to see the front tires smoke too?"

PostPosted: February 17, 2021, 1:00 pm 

8)

Last edited by HamDip on February 21, 2021, 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 17, 2021, 6:29 pm 

Really enjoy hearing about your adventures. As my sticker on the scuttle of my Locost says 'We are Slotus'!

Thanks Hamdip

PostPosted: February 18, 2021, 12:31 pm 

HamDip wrote:
when HamDip says, "Is it OK to see the front tires smoke too?"

:D :shock: :D

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 7:30 am 

Thanks for keeping us informed... Take care all...
MangPong

PostPosted: February 21, 2021, 7:55 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

HamDip wrote:
The other problem that showed up was the steering quickner unit is beginning to seize up. Plans are in the works to eliminate that because the power steering rack is faster rater so the quickner isn't needed as much. [Note: JD never intended to add power steering. He did it for me. The quickner was supposed to help him without power steering. So I'm pretty sure I caused the issue there.]
All should be ready for the next event in March as we continue to add to the Slotus story. So stay tuned in when HamDip says, "Is it OK to see the front tires smoke too?"

A quickener increases steering effort, so just removing it will make it easier. It reduces the effective ratio of the rack. You will just need to rotate the steering wheel further back and forth for the same turns but the effort will be less. If it was not binding before, it could be the mount has loosened up and it is not lined up as it should be. Some photos of the steering system and quickener installation might help if you want to keep it and not redesign.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 15, 2021, 4:37 am 

Hi Hamdip,

The frame lizard has been immortilized, he will be on his way to you this week. Toes came out a little rough, he needs a pedicure.

Attachment:
stainless lizard.jpg

Cheers,
Marcus.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next