LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next
PostPosted: April 2, 2021, 11:42 pm 

@Pippin0519
Thank you so much for that recipe, Gayle. That's what I'll do next time.

@HamDip
Man, I hope that doesn't hurt as bad as it looks. Hopefully, you'll be restored to full functionality. If not, remember to milk it. It's a good excuse to have someone bring you a cold beer without havin' to get up. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 3, 2021, 3:13 am 

Hi Gayle and Hamdip,

Heal up quick! That does look painful. I've had tennis elbow but never bad enough for surgery!

Gayle, thanks for reinforcing my red beans recipe!. Been making them for years following a pretty simple recipe that came from the Junior League of New Orleans. Was my most requested dish for pot lucks. And they arepretty darn good. And that recipe follows yours to a T. Only difference (and I'm not sure you can call it a difference) is i use a smoked ham shank.

I talked a lot with JD about food. And I love cooking (and eating) Cajun and Creole dishes. If you have some favorite recipes I would dearly love to see them. I did win a small competition back in Omaha in a Gumbo cookoff but like to see all I can.

Cheers! and stay safe.

PostPosted: April 9, 2021, 6:19 am 

Well, frame lizard (or at least his likeness) showed up on March 31. I took pics of me opening him so I could share but just hadn't taken the time to post them.

Frame lizard came packaged in a small bag. Inside the bag was a rectangle very neatly wrapped in...duct tape. JD would be proud. I carefully peeled back the duct tape which was securely fashioned in both directions over the lizard which was pressed into Styrofoam. My only interaction with this type of foam is when florists use it to hold the shape of an arrangement or decorating the different shapes for holidays. (Or constantly ruining said fam by accidentally punching holes in it by gripping too hard.) I thought the practical use of said material was genius. I digress. In peeling off the duct tape, I revealed a very cute lizard complete with feet and tail. Its perfect.

We have 2 questions:

1.) What is it made of? We want to affix it to the Slotus without damaging all the hard work and craftsmanship.

2.) Should we paint it Slotus green, another green, leave it metal silver, or do something different?

He is currently hiding in a teacup in my cupboard to ensure he isn't misplaced or damaged while awaiting our decisions.

HamDip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 9, 2021, 7:09 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@HamDip
Man, I hope that doesn't hurt as bad as it looks. Hopefully, you'll be restored to full functionality. If not, remember to milk it. It's a good excuse to have someone bring you a cold beer without havin' to get up. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

And...I'll retype my whole post because I went to find the pic and the whole post was lost. UGH.

It doesn't hurt as bad as it looks like it should. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and I think it was still blocked for the initial day of surgery pain. I actually didn't take pain killers after day 3 with the exception of Saturday (day 6) after I received my 2nd COVID vaccine and was pretty sure I was dying. What did hurt was my failed attempt to get in the truck on Friday, day 12 after surgery. I was reaching to lift myself into the truck at 5:35am and somehow lost footing or balance or something. My right arm, which was already in the truck, instinctively grabbed the steering wheel with my fingertips (the only part of my hand available.outside the splint). This kept me from falling backwards but it sent excruciating pain through my forearm where the nerve and muscles felt the load placed on my arm. I placed both feet firmly on the ground and folded over my right arm into the driver's seat. I stayed there, folded in half over my arm for a good 45+ seconds before regaining composure and getting in the truck. I think it scared me more than it hurt, but I didn't use it or move it much at all that day. I was actually stubborn and didn't take pain killers that day either.

4 days later, Tuesday this week, I went back to Shands (fancy, very expensive, but very good research and specialty hospital/network of Dr's offices and practices in Gainesville, FL) for post op. They took a look and released me from the awkward splint in exchange for a bionic elbow contraption (pictured).

The contraption limits my arm movement to not allow anything more shallow than 60 degrees extension. Given flex goes 0 to 90 (completed folded to a right angle in front of me) and extension goes 90 to 0 (right angle in front of me to flat / straight out.) I can go from completely folded to 60 degrees of extension. So I can go past that 90 mark, but not by much (30 degrees). I can take it off to shower (thank GOD), but shouldn't really otherwise. So far I'm doing pretty good not taking it off. But it's only the beginning of day 4. I have to wear it for 4 weeks to allow the nerve to calm, the muscles, tendons, and ligaments to heal. Then I do some form of physical therapy to strengthen everything back up. I know I'll miss the April race, but I suspect I'll miss the May one as well. Shooting to attend in June, but that one is usually on Father's Day and we'll be at the beach.

I'll be back behind the wheel soon.

In other news, lil JJ turns 5 on Sunday and her daddy painted her room pink for the occasion. She put in for a pink room about a year ago and we finally agreed, surprising her with it this past weekend. All the accessories will change out overnight and she'll wake up to the rest of the room matching the walls on Sunday morning. Note the picture on the wall in the picture. It's JD holding Jamie the day she was born.

Anybody else have things JD would be proud of? I wanna know.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 9, 2021, 10:54 am 

Thanks for the update. I know it sucks, but you'll have to be patient with that arm. It always takes more time to recover than we think, and you don't want to rush it an risk reinjury.

I love the pink room by the way.

Best to all,

Lonnie

PostPosted: April 9, 2021, 7:29 pm 

Hi Hamdip.

The Lizard looks fantastic! Hope you can paint it Slotus Green.

That brace they put on appears to be very high tech! Heed Drs. advice (and Lonnie's too).

Take care, heal quick, and keep posting!

Peace, Love, and arm braces!

PostPosted: April 9, 2021, 7:39 pm 

Hi Hamdip,
I always wanted a bionic arm, although not sure I would want to go through what you have to get one!

Frame lizard was cast in 304L stainless steel, so you have a lot of options. You could TIG weld a stud onto the belly button (give it a big outie) that is either threaded or plain and use that to affix to your prefferred position. or just TIG weld it on "as is" onto mild steel tubing using an ER308L filler wire. Just don't use duct tape!

Being stainless he will polish up really well, although the toes will be trouble given how fine they are. Painting is a good idea too as that will blend some of the print layers away and look more "organic". There should be no bad juju in the future as long as he is out in the wind and not trapped inside a frame. Looking forward to seeing where you chose to hide him.

:cheers:

PostPosted: June 18, 2021, 12:49 am 

Good to see the Slotus is still being raced and improved. I haven't been on here much lately, but still lurk a bit. Hope your arm heals up quick, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Today I got my 7 out after sitting for nearly 2 years. I out the memorial sticker I had stashed away on the dash. It got a bit dusty thinking about him, I can't imagine how much you guys miss him.
I think he'd appreciate the sentiment of the other sticker too.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 24, 2022, 7:41 pm 

Will be attempting a gumbo tomorrow in honour of JD. Hard to believe 2 years has gone by since his passing, I really miss reading his witty posts.

:cheers:

PostPosted: January 24, 2022, 8:52 pm 

Got a good recipe?

PostPosted: January 24, 2022, 9:10 pm 

Yup, the one you sent me back in July 2020! It's taken me this long to find Andouille sausage in Auckland, having to substitute smoked ham for Tasso as nothing but blank looks when I ask for it here.

PostPosted: January 24, 2022, 9:48 pm 

2 years? I sure do miss him.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 25, 2022, 1:14 am 

Short memory! Sorry for the rarity of the ingredients. I face the same problem here but to a lesser degree. Andouille is a little rare but I can find it in two places. One is at a dedicated meat market that makes their own sausage but I have to buy a minimum of 5 LBS to get them to smoke it. The one I use is also made locally but is packaged for retail business and is pretty good.

Tasso is another thing. I found a recipe that is scaled for home use. Uses 3 LBS of pork butt and is pretty decent.

I'm confidant your Gumbo will be one of the best thing your family has eaten since the Covid scare.

Best of fortune!

PostPosted: January 25, 2022, 11:11 am 

rx7locost wrote:
2 years? I sure do miss him.
Ya got that right Chuck

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 25, 2022, 7:11 pm 

+ 1 on missing JD.

Two years? It doesn't seem possible, but there it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next