LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next
PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 6:13 am 

Kinetic Research wrote:
Hi Hamdip,

The frame lizard has been immortilized, he will be on his way to you this week. Toes came out a little rough, he needs a pedicure.

Attachment:
stainless lizard.jpg

Hooray hooray. I'm so excited.

Note: is anyone else no longer getting emails that alert them when someone posts to this thread? I used to get a notification with new posts, but now I only get them if I have a private message.

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 6:43 am 

Good early morning, y'all,

The National Champ Tour was last weekend. I'll have Earl write something up for us, but in a nutshell, I'm still learning.

We did take out the quickner. It made it SO much easier to turn the wheel. When he took it off, he said something about it binding and out of whack which is why I suspect it was so jittery. He also lengthened the shaft by a quarter inch. That helped some so I'm not pulling on it to be close enough. It took a run to figure out the steering but I shaved 4 seconds from 1st run to 2nd. There's also a "hump" on that particular course site and even at the angle, I was bottoming out on the first day.

Day 2: I was not as fast on day 2 even though it was a faster course. Jamie added air to the shocks to keep me from bottoming out on the hump and in another high spot on course. According to Jamie, I needed to carry more speed. I think I was getting more comfortable with the handling and steering. Yes, I have to turn the wheel more, but it is SO much easier to do it. The car feels 50x lighter. I'm also identifying a foot box issue. Although I have a narrow foot, even in race shoes, my right foot has to cram to the right to hit the gas without the brake. We have few options, but most probable is to trim the right side of the brake pedal. I have plenty of pedal to the left of the stick, but the extra to the right might free up valuable real estate for my foot. We can't move the brake/clutch assembly to the left because the clutch is already so far to the left that some component is touching the frame rail as is.

Turns out adding fuel makes the car go. Go figure. Apparently, there was enough gas to slosh but not much more. Car went vroom vroom just fine with gas.

James/Jamie/Earl (whatever that husband of mine is called this week) has a laundry list of tweaks for the car. I think the longer push rods are on the list. Still need to raise the seat. I really need a heel stop for my feet on the smooth metal pan that makes up the floor.. He wants to use lighter wheels and brakes (admittedly the current ones are heavy.) I'll let him break it down for everyone.

In other news, my right elbow has been bothering me for a while. Tennis elbow and a pinched ulnar nerve have been determine to be the cause of the pain. This coming Monday, March 22nd, Shands will be doing surgery to fix it. I'll not be able to use my arm for 6 weeks then physical therapy to strengthen it back up. I guess we'll (he'll) be doing modifications during that time. We are going to give it a decent bath in degreaser.

In JDs name we play,
HamDip

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 10:49 am 

HamDip wrote:
Shands will be doing surgery to fix it.

So...what you're saying is that both you and the Slotus are being modified!

Good luck with the surgery and recover quickly 'cause summer is coming!

Bill

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 11:40 am 

@HamDip

Thanks for the update. I'm still getting automatic notifications when something is added to this thread.

Best,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 12:16 pm 

My notifications appear to all be working. Though they're not instant & I've usually already browsed through & seen the posts before I get the email.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 3:16 pm 

Hi Hamdip,

Good to hear things are going well at the center of the known universe. Good wishes for your modifications, you and the car.

Peace and love,

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 4:01 pm 

HamDip wrote:
Note: is anyone else no longer getting emails that alert them when someone posts to this thread? I used to get a notification with new posts, but now I only get them if I have a private message.
Something must have happened with your subscription to the thread. Next time you post, I would think rechecking the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box before submitting it should resolve your issue... Unless something more sinister is going on. :shock:

Thanks for the update though. And in regards to: "In JDs name we play"... Well played. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 8:12 pm 

I always look forward to updates on JD's thread.
I feel your pain Hamdip, I've had tennis elbow, too stubborn to get it looked at, just plodded along til it went away, took about 18 months.
Don't forget to post pics, (of the car mods, elbow stitches, frame lizards, neighbours donkey, trailer frogs, or iffin a snake happens to pass by the shop) :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 21, 2021, 9:06 pm 

Thinkin' of JD today. He was alway talking about red beans and rice. Before today, I'd never had any. But, I was in the supermarket Friday getting some things for meals, and I found this package from Zatarains for making the aforementioned red beans and rice. I said, "I gotta try this."

So, I read the directions on the box, went to the meat counter, and got some spicy sausage to cook up in it as my protein, and today I made it.

Now I realize JD had home cooked, but you do what you can in life, and that's what I did. I see why he always made a fuss about it. It was really good.
Attachment:
Red Beans, Rice & Sausage.JPG

Good bless, JD. He was a gem.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 3:54 pm 

Does anyone know if there is a way to download JD's build log for printing? I'd love to keep it for posterity, so his grand kids could one day read about Papa Bear through his own writing.

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 4:39 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Thinkin' of JD today. ... I see why he always made a fuss about it. It was really good.

Good bless, JD. He was a gem.

Thank you Lonnie, he was a gem. One of a kind. And, JD did love his red beans and rice. I wish I'd cooked them for him more often.

With a little doctoring (like adding good sausage and the trinity, and some Crystal Hot Sauce) the Zaterans isn't a bad effort for novices. I know natives that use it in a crunch.

Traditionally, this is a Monday dish. Monday was laundry day and cooking beans required very little attention so that the wife could do the laundry.

Always rinse then soak the beans for at least 6 hours. It is best to use a ham bone when you cook the beans, and of course the Cajun trinity: a chopped onion, a chopped bell (green) pepper, and a couple of stalks of celery, chopped. A couple of cloves of garlic and a good bit of hot sauce are also required. You use just enough water to cover the beans and let them cook until they are almost mushy - a crock pot is a great way to cook them. Cook them on low for a long time. At least all day but, overnight and all day (usually you'll need to add a little water) is even better. To get the right consistency (a thick broth) take about a cup of beans and mash them up. Then stir them back in to the beans. It helps as a thickening agent. Add the sausage about an hour before serving so the sausage doesn't get overcooked.

If your grocery store has Camellia red beans, those are best to use, and Crystal Hot Sauce is the best cayenne seasoning.

Give it a try, and enjoy in JD's honor!

Hugs,
Gayle

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 7:21 pm 

Hi Gayle
Check your other post, I've saved JD's build log to pdf and made a couple of copies to CD. Just need your mailing address to send them to you.

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 7:53 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Hi Gayle
Check your other post, I've saved JD's build log to pdf and made a couple of copies to CD. Just need your mailing address to send them to you.

This is new. We've been asking Jack for it for years. How'd you do it? I wanna make sure someone saves the new pages as they complete.

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 9:12 pm 

CD's are wrapped up and ready for the post office

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 9:39 pm 

So... I was attacked by a shark. No, really, it was a scalpel and a man named Chim. I had the wrap and splint on for 10 days before I had a friend (JD referred to her as Lelly Keffler) take off the old, take a pic, and rewrap it. It's back in the splint and wrap now and will remain that way till Tuesday. It hurts (nerve pain), but it actually still doesn't hurt as bad as my other arm did after the Champ Tour in March of 2020 when the offending door bar attacked me. I'll be able to take better pics when the splint comes off for good. Mods to the car are actually less productive and still need to happen. Good thing the surgeon is still busy with other things.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next