LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 7, 2021, 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: April 18, 2021, 4:56 pm 

My old CAD workstation at home died suddenly - very frustrating event and time consuming to get back to normal operations.

The scanning of the test engine went very well, and once the main axis of the point cloud was superimposed over the original CAD block model the result was quite acceptable. The exhaust manifolds lined up quite close to the target areas.

The white area in the middle of the vee is the true gap between the inlet castings. The mesh is really quite detailed, however obtaining still shots that don't look rubbish is proving challenging - so I am not going to waste anymore time trying. The mesh looks great rotating in the dynamic view as the features on the block are easily perceived. The scanner was the best $2 I have ever spent.

Attachment:
J35Z2 SCAN OVERLAY.jpg
J35Z2 SCAN OVERLAY.jpg [ 196.73 KiB | Viewed 283 times ]

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 2:13 am 

There is light at the end of the tunnel as far as the paperwork goes - double checking all the sub-assemblies and part details takes time though.  Since I am only doing this the once I want to ensure that I clean up the niggly details I was leaving till the end - which is the suspension mostly.  All the fun of being behind the computer is gone and it is a real slog when solidworks keeps crashing - the issue stems from using configurations within configurations within configurations (bit like the movie Inception, even the computer loses track of where the story is up to).  Using up the last of the gumption reserves and looking forward to sending off the approval document.  Hopefully all this extra time spent in the layout phase pays back 10 fold when it comes time to fabricating and assembling, and certification will hopefully just be a rubberstamping exercise.    
Comparison shot of the C6 corvette stock geometry and the F1 both in full rebound and a C7 for reference.

Attachment:
full rebound.jpg
full rebound.jpg [ 155.64 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]

Attachment:
C7-jumping.jpg
C7-jumping.jpg [ 518.65 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 3:19 am 

C6/C7 don't look that different to the C8 in full rebound.

Attachment:
c8 airborne.jpg
c8 airborne.jpg [ 94.27 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

PostPosted: May 4, 2021, 1:59 am 

Rear camber change on the McLaren seems a lot! And yours seems not quite right or maybe just too much static camber (if that's at full droop). But then again, I've never built a car, haha, still in progress.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8