LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: June 1, 2016, 10:48 am 

looks like SpongeBob Squarecar is doing pretty well on BaT.

Great build, I'm going to miss it.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 5:39 pm 

A bittersweet day :|

After a week on BAT, she just sold for 20K ($19,999.00 to be exact :lol: ).. The buyer is close to my age, and is not only a 'car guy,' but also a motorcycle guy, which stands to reason given this build..

I'll ask him if he wouldn't mind joining this forum and continue posting on the car and what he does with it from here.. I hope he's able to do that, as this little heap was crusher bait just a few years ago..

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 8:25 pm 

Thats a pretty good chunk of change! I'm sure it doesn't come close to alleviating the pain of letting her go, but at least you know its going to a great home AND your wife has some extra money to spend ;)

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 11:25 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

That money needs to be - very quickly - spent on the major components for the next project!

PostPosted: June 3, 2016, 8:43 am 

So what did you learn?

Now that the Honda is done and sold, I've been asked to share any tips/tricks/thoughts on how a person can pull off a build of their own.. It's a good question, because if you don't know how to weld/paint/fab/whatever, how do you learn? How did I learn? How did you learn? for my part, I'm just a middle school teacher that does this car thing for fun- I'm no expert.. just a normal guy, a hobbyist, who ignores his wife and kids and runs out to the garage every weekend to meet some arbitrary deadline and cross off yet another list..

The last thing I want here is to come off as preachy, or some kind of know-it-all.. I hope that doesn't happen as I share what this (and other builds in the past) have taught me.. So here it is- in no particular order, stuff I learned from a 45 year old Honda:

==============================================

-It has to be fun.. not every aspect of a build is fun (like laying on you back chipping off undercoating), but in general, you've got to want to go out and work on the project... it has to bring you joy and a sense of accomplishment.. for many builders, it's not the finished car, it's the journey to build it.. some call it 'garage therapy.'

-Ignore those that say you can't. Very, very few people have gone down this road successfully, and I've learned that when you tell people about your radical idea/project, their first inclination is to tell you it can't be done.. If they themselves are not a fabricator, ignore them- if they are, ask them to help you solve the issue; there's always a solution, and a passionate person will find it..

-Join a network.. this one (locostusa) is excellent.. find a forum you like, and stop lurking and start posting.. over time not only will you get your questions answered, but you will find yourself answering other's questions as well- imagine that!

-You don't need fancy tools.. 95% of my stuff gets done with a 4-1/2" angle grinder and a small MIG welder.. sure you need other stuff too, but not as much as you think..

-Experiment and embrace failure.. Most parts I fab have to be done twice, sometimes 3 times- that's just part of the game.. None of us knew how to weld in the beginning, and it's taken a bit of time and practice to learn.. (truth is, my welds are still pretty ugly!)

-Pay to have done what you hate or can't do.. I can't weld aluminum (yet!), so I have to farm it out.. no biggie.. Last summer I learned how to do body and paint work on this Honda- I also learned that I hate it! Tedious and unrewarding to me, I'll be happy to pay a pro next time (there's a reason paint work costs to much!)

-Research.. you might spend a fair bit of time on the internet looking up part interchangeability, or just some small aspect of your build.. no matter how obscure, someone else has done it, posted it, and it's waiting for you to find it.. such a time saver in the end.

-Set deadlines and break tasks down- for me, I must have lists and deadlines, or nothing ever gets done.. Stuff like "have the rear suspension in by the 12th of next month" keeps me on track.. Not the end of the world if you miss a deadline or have to shuffle things along the way, so long as it's forward progress

-Burnout will happen.. some days you can't wait to get on the project, and other days you just don't feel it.. it happens.. The longest I've stepped away was a few months, and then magically, the mojo came back, and out to the garage I went.. can't explain it, but I've learned that there's an ebb and flow to this long-term stuff..

-Long-term.. How long will your build take? This Honda took me over 5 years, which is longer than I'm happy with.. I'm trying to do my next project in less than 3 years.. (If you're more of a builder than a driver, this is probably less of an issue)

-You can't know every answer before you start.. How will you route the exhaust around your IRS? There's no room! It can't be done! That's ok.. you'll hit many snags along the way.. there's always a solution- always a compromise that can be made.. the project will work out.. I think the quote is "paralysis by analysis" or something like that.. Sometimes more doing and less thinking is the answer

-Start with the best car you can afford.. I'm now done buying basket cases.. I've promised myself to pony up and buy enough car at the start so that I can make better, faster progress (If possible, try not to get a rusty car- I've learned rust repair is a huge time suck, and I hate it.. clean, dry SW cars from here out!)

-If you're new to this, get a model/make/year that has a strong following and good parts supply.. once you've been at it awhile, you can restore an orphan marquee.. difficult, but rewarding.

-Please, please make it yours! It does not matter what color it came from the factory, paint it the color you like! If you find yourself wishing it didn't have those ugly marker lights, you're right- they are ugly, shave them off! Anyone can have an all-stock restored car- it's the changes you and your personality bring to it that make it yours.. some will not like it, so what? Ask them what they've done lately that sets their ride apart.. I have no time for the purist who's upset that my side view mirrors aren't correct- you do your thing and I'll do mine... :cheers:

===================================

So that's a start.. Locost brothers, if you have anything to add, please post up.. Maybe some thoughts on 3d printers or computer design programs (I have no experience with those things).. maybe something I forgot on my list that a person new to the hobby would do well to know?

--ccrunner

PostPosted: June 15, 2016, 11:34 pm 

thanks for the breakdown, I agree this is a great forum and this particular sub-forum seems like the right place for me and my build. I look forward to seeing the Volvo progress. I hope I can stop out there one day and chat with you in person. I travel back and forth to Turlock fairly often as thats where the Fiances' family lives.

-1988 BMW 325i -the daily
-1968 Datsun Fairlady Roadster - the weekend canyon car

PostPosted: June 16, 2016, 4:08 pm 

Not preachy at all. Every single point you make was true of my build.

PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 8:31 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
The last thing I want here is to come off as preachy,
Hallalujah! Praise de Lawd!!! Oh, sorry, my mistake... Got carried away for a moment...

Just kiddin... That was all good advice, well stated. Thanks for thinking it all out and writing it up.
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 25, 2016, 10:21 am 

A new place to channel the car mod love..

It's been a few weeks now that the Honda's been gone.. I'm so used to having it out in the garage, that I still go out and am surprised for a half a second when it's not there.. I don't know if the new owner will end up joining up here and posting, but I know he's already actively taking it to local SoCal car shows, so maybe someone will chime in from time to time and let us know how the little rocket is fairing out in the world :)

I'm making this post because while this N600 project has run it's course for me, it's departure offers me a chance to put all of my energy into the next thing, my 1963 Volvo 1800S.. Most non-car people's eyes glaze over a bit when you try to explain that Volvo really did make some attractive cars back in the day, but they rarely believe you without proof.. And so I'm already elbows deep in what most would probably call a resto-mod of a swoopy little Swede.. From the outside it will look mostly stock (they really are gorgeous little cars), but she's getting a suspension re-work, a GM turbo I4, and a 5 speed.. I'm building her as a spirited GT, and while I can feel my October 2016 deadline slipping away, I hope to have her in service as a daily driver late 2016/ early 2017.. If you're interested, that build log is on this board over at:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309&p=181671#p181671

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 24, 2016, 1:52 pm 

August 2016

A bit of an update on the wee beast.. Superstreet online did a nice feature on it last week; thought I'd post it here.. the photog took a shot I like very much, as it shows that I'm either a giant, or this is one tiny car :shock:

Here's the link: http://www.superstreetonline.com/featur ... o-machine/

..and here's the too tall- too small picture..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 26, 2016, 7:47 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
the photog took a shot I like very much, as it shows that I'm either a giant, or this is one tiny car :shock:
So, which NBA team did you play for? :mrgreen:
Nice picture! That one needs to get framed and hung on a wall somewhere.
I miss ol' SpongeBob SquareCar... :cry:

:cheers:
JDK

PS-- You're an English teacher? Geeze, I'm surprised you didn't break out in a rash from reading my posts... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 5, 2016, 8:19 pm 

Scrolling through the MSN homepage and this article was one of the top of the page articles. Very nice.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusia ... spartandhp

PostPosted: March 10, 2017, 2:32 am 

Hi thanks for the great build log. This has got me really curious. Let's say you had a 200 hp bike engine swapped in with wider wheels and traction isn't an issue anymore, what can I expect in terms of acceleration and 1/4 mile times? Should I expect it to be almost up to par with that of a bike? This is very inspiring. Thanks again.

PostPosted: March 11, 2017, 11:45 pm 

PhoSho wrote:
Hi thanks for the great build log. This has got me really curious. Let's say you had a 200 hp bike engine swapped in with wider wheels and traction isn't an issue anymore, what can I expect in terms of acceleration and 1/4 mile times? Should I expect it to be almost up to par with that of a bike? This is very inspiring. Thanks again.

I've never had a bike engine car, but I seriously doubt it would be as quick as the bike the engine came from. Consider that a bike engine car will weigh about 3 times as much as a modern sportbike. Sport bikes are quick on a whole other level from even fast cars.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 11:02 am 

PhoSho wrote:

Hey PhoSho, welcome to the site :wink:

I think Turbo_Bird already got to the meat of it; power to weight.. In my experience, there is simply nothing that can compare to a light, powerful street bike- a twist of the wrist, and straight to warp speed- such a rush!!

A BEC is not that, but it's fun on a different level.. A BEC is not a 'normal' car.. -Because it must be, it's already small and light (as cars go), and it needs to have at least a moderately-powered bike lump.. between the size, sound, maneuverability, and yes, raw power (to weight), a BEC is a metric ton of fun.. Sportbike quick? no, but even 'supercars' aren't sportbikes... A 'normal' experience? in a good way, no... A fun adrenaline shot? Like no other :lol:

Before you build, you might benefit from a ride in a BEC and see if it ticks the boxes for you.. whatever you do- build something :cheers:

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next