LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: December 6, 2018, 12:29 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
kreb wrote:
The Toyota V12 is interesting and fun

And with the right exhaust system, OH, what sweet music!!! :D

I used to draft vintage Ferraris at track days just to listen to the exhaust note!

PostPosted: December 11, 2020, 12:52 am 

You have a very interesting build sir!
I'm in the middle of a 442e and I'm wondering if the Cheetah body from Bruce in Pa would/could work?
Wondering out loud...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 11, 2020, 5:16 pm 

Bruce does good work. I'm pretty sure that I stated earlier that I started my build by purchasing outer skins from Bruce. I modified them extensively to create my body. His body is 8 inches wider than mine. Mine is 74 inches wide at the rear and 71 inches at the front fenders. My frame is 46 inches wide (outside width). So, the cockpit inside width is 43 inches. I'm using an MGB windshield.

I am planning to make a removable coupe top for it over the winter.

I have an extra body in my shop and have molds. I can have more made if anyone is interested.

Good luck with your build!

Here's a picture of my finished car with an idea for the top in photoshop.

PostPosted: December 11, 2020, 11:43 pm 

Here are a few more pictures showing the finished body. I had molds pulled from my finished body so that all future bodies are copies.
Here is one of my frame.

PostPosted: December 11, 2020, 11:45 pm 

I've changed the roll bar mount on the next frame. It will be mounted at an angle and attach directly to the top of the frame member that is directly behind the seats.

PostPosted: December 11, 2020, 11:54 pm 

stinger wrote:
I've changed the roll bar mount on the next frame. It will be mounted at an angle and attach directly to the top of the frame member that is directly behind the seats.

Most impressive!
PM sent.
I like what you've done and would be VERY interested in your extra body :-)

PostPosted: December 12, 2020, 12:22 am 

PM sent

Here are a couple of pictures of a body straight out of the molds.

PostPosted: December 12, 2020, 1:27 am 

stinger wrote:
Bruce does good work. I'm pretty sure that I stated earlier that I started my build by purchasing outer skins from Bruce. I modified them extensively to create my body. His body is 8 inches wider than mine. Mine is 74 inches wide at the rear and 71 inches at the front fenders. My frame is 46 inches wide (outside width). So, the cockpit inside width is 43 inches. I'm using an MGB windshield.

I am planning to make a removable coupe top for it over the winter.

I have an extra body in my shop and have molds. I can have more made if anyone is interested.

Good luck with your build!

Here's a picture of my finished car with an idea for the top in photoshop.

The roof concept is quite good. Having a roof will increase speed pretty dramatically (a la Cobra LeMans tops). Your design has non operational doors. Was your idea to have the roof hinged at the rear to facilitate entry or are we doing the pretzel bogey?
I wonder if I could pass a tech "get out" safety exam with a full suit, HANS and helmet on? Hmmm.

PostPosted: December 12, 2020, 10:29 am 

For my top I was going to have a hinge system for the roof that would lift it up and tilt rearward for egrees. It would be possible to fiberglass it in and make it fixed. Then make the doors "gull wing" like the Cheetahs was. The bottom of the door could be to the top of the 16 inch tall frame. This lowers the step over by about 8 inches.

I designed and fabricated the frame. It's 16 inches tall at the side rails. It uses C4 corvette suspension. Bruce used C4 as well. Then he used deep dish wheels with dirt modified tires which are pretty large in diameter. This resulted in an extremely wide body with large wheel arches. When I did my body I narrowed it by 8 inches, tightened and reshaped the wheel arches to fit the 25.5 inches in diameter tires I'm running. The over all length of my body is 146 inches. The wheelbase is 92 inches. I have the dash, top of the cockpit, firewall, and the rear of the hood bulkhead molded in. It would be possible to trim the inside of the cockpit height to fit a different height frame or add supports to the frame for the body. The hood is one piece and hinges at the front. On my frame you can remove 2 pins and the hood hinge assembly slides forward and lifts off. I think the biggest thing about my body fitting another frame would be the length of the cockpit and hood.

PostPosted: July 13, 2021, 6:58 pm 

Now that the Chestnut Cheetah is officially in the market, I reread your whole build log. It's quite inspirational.
stinger wrote:
I need to run bumpers.

The headlights cant be any lower than 24 inches to the center of the light. It's 24 inches to the top of my headlight position.

I have to run back up lights and DOT approved side markers.
So how did these requirements go? Did you have any grief registering it without all of those items?

PostPosted: July 21, 2021, 10:22 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Now that the Chestnut Cheetah is officially in the market, I reread your whole build log. It's quite inspirational.
stinger wrote:
I need to run bumpers.

The headlights cant be any lower than 24 inches to the center of the light. It's 24 inches to the top of my headlight position.

I have to run back up lights and DOT approved side markers.
So how did these requirements go? Did you have any grief registering it without all of those items?

Thanks Jack. I just reread my posts. It took a long time and I change things a lot!

I went through registration with the white body. I did install small round LED markers. I had Dot/Sae headlights and taillights and windshield. I made simple bumpers out of 1 inch round tubing. The front bolted to the hinge assemble. The rear I welded to a flat piece of stock that bolted to the frame on the upper underside of the license plate recess. I had padded sunvisor's that were from the MGB.

At inspection they looked at the car for roadworthiness. I wasn't able to watch the inspection so, I don't know if they looked at everything. I did pass at the first attempt. When home I removed the bumpers. I haven't had any issues through the annual inspections.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9