LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: August 2, 2018, 1:55 pm 

Looks great.

Lots of work to get there!!

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 6:06 am 

/quote]

Nice work.
Lots of sanding!!!
What happened to the roof? Did I miss anything. Are you going to market this body as a convertible?

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 7:36 am 

Thanks Phil.

I purposely made this body as a Roadster. I've built a few different cars. All were Roadsters. That's what I love driving.

If I could use this body for my build I wouldn't offer any for sale. But, this body is the plug and I have to go through the process of having molds made to get a usable body. Since I won't have to do the actual fiberglass work I'll offer them for sale. Same with frames. I'll have them professionally made from my jig.

There are thousands of Cobra Roadsters that have been built from kits. I believe this car is a viable option for those that want a Roadster that's Chevy based. I think the car is cool looking and will be a capable and fun ride. I have a few people that have told me they want one. It will be fun to have a few on the road.

I do plan to work on some options. Things like a spoiler or two, a convertible top (using the MGB one as a starting point, and a removable Coupe top. Those are things for me to have fun with. First thing is to get the molds made. The body is going to the fiberglass company 8/13. The plan is to puck up the first bodies the first week of Oct. then get my car built!

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 4:05 pm 

stinger wrote:
Thanks Phil.

I purposely made this body as a Roadster. I've built a few different cars. All were Roadsters. That's what I love driving.

If I could use this body for my build I wouldn't offer any for sale. But, this body is the plug and I have to go through the process of having molds made to get a usable body. Since I won't have to do the actual fiberglass work I'll offer them for sale. Same with frames. I'll have them professionally made from my jig.

There are thousands of Cobra Roadsters that have been built from kits. I believe this car is a viable option for those that want a Roadster that's Chevy based. I think the car is cool looking and will be a capable and fun ride. I have a few people that have told me they want one. It will be fun to have a few on the road.

I do plan to work on some options. Things like a spoiler or two, a convertible top (using the MGB one as a starting point, and a removable Coupe top. Those are things for me to have fun with. First thing is to get the molds made. The body is going to the fiberglass company 8/13. The plan is to puck up the first bodies the first week of Oct. then get my car built!

I think you made the right decision. The cheetah will be a better car as a convertible (IMO). If as you plan, you sell body copies as kits it will help you sell them (or you will be able to get more $$) if you build one running unit for yourself that would feature a soft roof or a separate hard top. Just a thought. Good luck and congrats on the tremendous job. :cheers:

PostPosted: August 14, 2018, 12:14 pm 

Thank you for the comments and support! I delivered the body to the fiberglass shop yesterday. I work the month of Sept selling children's coin banks that I designed in West Springfield, MA at the New England State Fair. The molds and first bodies are suppose to be ready the first week of Oct. I have 2 confirmed people that want a body and frame plus I need one to build my car.

PostPosted: September 6, 2018, 3:38 pm 

Work has begun on prepping the plug for the molds. In order to get the body out of the mold it will have to be in multiple pieces. It's imperative that seams be placed in the correct locations. Otherwise it's possible to lock the body in the mold. Where there is a seam flanges will be place at 90 degrees. The flanges bolt together. After the body has been laid up and cured you unbolt the flanges and take the mold apart. Hopefully a great looking body comes out of it.

The plug has been waxed 5 times. In addition a releasing agent (PVA) will be sprayed on it. This is to keep the tooling Gel Coat from sticking to the plug.

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 10:30 am 

I'm learning vicariously through you, as it just so happens my next project has a fiberglass body.. Love what you're doing with this design.. please keep the details coming :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: September 21, 2018, 12:28 pm 

Here's a picture of progress in making the mold for the full tilt Bonnet. The flanges have been placed and Orange tooling Gel Coat has been applied to the top of the plug. We tinted the Orange with black. This will give us more of a contrast between the mold and some of the colors that the final part may be made with. My body is going to be Red.

The next step is to apply fiberglass to the area that's been sprayed with the tooling Gel Coat.

With the first layer of glass

PostPosted: September 28, 2018, 4:50 pm 

Looks good. Memories of polyester and styrene monomer in my house for weeks. Unless your into the "new boat smell".

Whatever your paying the fiberglass shop, consider it a good deal. No learning curve, re works, smell or itch from sensitizing chemistries.

Cheers
Andrew

PostPosted: November 2, 2018, 10:08 am 

airframefixer wrote:
Looks good. Memories of polyester and styrene monomer in my house for weeks. Unless your into the "new boat smell".

Whatever your paying the fiberglass shop, consider it a good deal. No learning curve, re works, smell or itch from sensitizing chemistries.

Cheers
Andrew

I've done quite a bit of fiberglass work in the past. I was very happy to have someone else make the molds and lay up parts for me.

The first nose came out of the mold yesterday. The mold for the body is almost done. I should have the body with in 2 weeks! Finally!!

PostPosted: November 2, 2018, 10:35 am 

This is so cool!! :D

I have some fiberglass work ahead of me and not much experience with it... did the nose come out of the mold easily? (it seems like a big piece to persuade to let go?)

Looks outstanding... so much work to get it to this point, but it looks like it's paying off big time :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: November 2, 2018, 2:14 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
This is so cool!! :D

I have some fiberglass work ahead of me and not much experience with it... did the nose come out of the mold easily? (it seems like a big piece to persuade to let go?)

Looks outstanding... so much work to get it to this point, but it looks like it's paying off big time :cheers:

--ccrunner

Thank you.

My fiberglass guy said that it came out easily. The only problem he had was on one flange that he said he didn't wax enough.

PostPosted: November 2, 2018, 2:22 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Multi-piece molds are just unbolted, so the part comes right out.

PostPosted: November 2, 2018, 11:00 pm 

Stinger, that is looking great. There is great joy in having the first part pop out of a new mold from a new pattern. Attaboy!

PS:
ccrunner wrote:
I have some fiberglass work ahead of me and not much experience with it...
Don't fret, ccrunner, soon you will have more experience with fiberglass then than you ever wanted to have.

PostPosted: November 27, 2018, 4:08 pm 

Today is a special day! The first body tub came out of the mold today. I have a complete body! I'm picking up 2 of them this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next