LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: November 21, 2020, 10:26 pm 

Still lurking. Exotruck has become more and more of a brand for me lately. Recently awarded fan favorite in a Hot Wheels legends tour, drove 600 miles to meet the previous Hot wheels tour winner. More recently threw a rod through the block. Currently breaking in a new motor capable of 600hp. Since Covid, ive lost my job building waterparks and after a lot of thinking and input from others, i decided to start a shop and build Exotruck chassis, Havent sold any yet, havent put them up for sale. Working on a chassis that ive applied my R&D to. This one will be the mold so its taking me a bit of time. Any way, just stopping in to update.

PostPosted: November 22, 2020, 11:20 am 

Good luck with your new venture. Please keep us updated.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 6, 2020, 10:59 pm 

terryjr wrote:
I tested a weld on a peice of 1 1/4" A500 GrB/C ERW last night. (Future note, i'll be using "pipe" so 1.66"OD for 1 1/4") I wanted to see which one of my welders would get the better penetration. We have the $90 Harbor Frieght 90amp Fluxcore, against the Harbor Fright 160amp Tig. So i coped the pipe with a grinder, real PITA, and welded them together, flux one side, tig the other. For tig i was using 1/16 filler and got some under cut that i think i can solve with bigger filler rod and a little less heat. Flux, well its pretty simple but makes a mess, no matter how much anti-spatter i use, i still have to grind bb's off everything. I brought the sample into work this morning and cut it in half to check the penetration and then showed it to our CWI. He says they're both about the same but the flux wins becasue of the undercut with the tig.

Your running fillets. You don’t get full
Pen with fillets, only with groove joints that are beveled. You can with saddled joints as long as you leave a gap and run it in. All are obtainable with flux core. As long as your fillets are clean you’ll have no problem. I really hate the misconceptions of fillets. They are the most widely used weld and the most widely misconstrued. If you up to 3/32 on the Tig wire and watch your heat you’ll get rid of the undercut, also torch angle. Go to 80/20 gas on the mig with hard wire, your clean up will be minimal. Your CWI should know this stuff. Those cross sections are good. If you want more reinforcement run 2 passes.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: December 24, 2021, 12:03 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:

Your running fillets. You don’t get full
Pen with fillets, only with groove joints that are beveled. You can with saddled joints as long as you leave a gap and run it in. All are obtainable with flux core. As long as your fillets are clean you’ll have no problem. I really hate the misconceptions of fillets. They are the most widely used weld and the most widely misconstrued. If you up to 3/32 on the Tig wire and watch your heat you’ll get rid of the undercut, also torch angle. Go to 80/20 gas on the mig with hard wire, your clean up will be minimal. Your CWI should know this stuff. Those cross sections are good. If you want more reinforcement run 2 passes.

Sounds right. I've got about 4 years and 40,000 miles on the chassis now. Stiff suspension, 520awhp, Pennsylvania roads, road trips, towing, general abuse and I haven't had a single structural issue with the frame, except to under sized tabs I used to mount wing. It's a large wing and I sometimes even stack wood on it. There's six 1/8" thick tabs and so far two have cracked just about the weld.

New chassis are welded with my new Lincoln MP210, 75/25 .035 hard wire. I run it hot cause the tubing it A513 type 5 with a typical yeild in the 90's. And the wing tabs are 1/4" now.

PostPosted: December 24, 2021, 12:18 pm 

I tow with it, I haul with it, I race it, I even take it out in the snow.

PostPosted: December 26, 2021, 6:18 pm 

Thanks for the update Terry, great photographic skills as well as fabricating skills - even a seamless Bernie photobomb. Always look forward to the updates - probably one of the higher mileage builds on here? The utilitarian uses for what appears at first to be a very performance focused vehicle is what makes this such a standout vehicle for me, really looking forward to seeing how you grow this concept.

PostPosted: December 28, 2021, 3:26 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
Thanks for the update Terry, great photographic skills as well as fabricating skills - even a seamless Bernie photobomb. Always look forward to the updates - probably one of the higher mileage builds on here? The utilitarian uses for what appears at first to be a very performance focused vehicle is what makes this such a standout vehicle for me, really looking forward to seeing how you grow this concept.

Thanks, I have racked up a lot of miles. Beside a few mechanical drivetrain failures solely from running tons of horsepower, it's been trouble free. Being street legal is huge. I wouldn't have built it if I couldn't make it street legal. And using a lot of factory and off the shelf suspension products made it comfortable and reliable on the road. It's not going to win any time attack races but it holds its own. My GoPro's have logged up to 1.2 lateral G's. The weight distribution is 60/40 F/R since its a front engine AWD. Maybe with a full tank of gas I can get 58/42. I love the utilization of it. It's put a hurting on my paint jobs but I didn't build it to be a show car. I enjoy taking the kids to their activities in it, just touring around some rural areas, and being put in the seat with it's rediculous acceleration. The trucks picked up quite a following, don't think I've ever gotten a negative comment and it starts a lot of conversations out and about. The furthest trip I've taken so far was Pittsburgh to Joliet, IL for Subiefest Midwest which was 483 miles each way. I e driven it to Pottstown, Harrisburg, Wellsboro. Id love to get it down to Tail of the Dragon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14