LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 9:12 am 

been a little while. 6k street miles, about 100 track miles. "truck" has been real solid. I had a motor issue, the built motor bearings started to fail. I broke another transmission (common with high power Subaru 5 speeds) but other than that, its been very reliable.

Pittrace TNiA trials

3D printed things to hold things

MEt Subaru Rally Team

Oliver trying out the seat

Wellsboro Waste Management landfill

Gettign some ethanol

Getting some wood

Tried it in Blue

tried it in pink

drove it through the woods

drove it by the sea

did the local car groups Trunk n Treat thing, 2,000 kids

stuffed it for Stuff a Bus, Toys for Tots

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 10:19 am 

The lumber picture is best, It is indeed a truck, albeit a quick one. I complained to GM about gravel jambing up the tailgate of my Colorado and the agent questioned that I would actually carry bulk gravel in the bed. Duh.

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 12:10 pm 
We are Slotus!

Good set of pictures! I like all of them...

What "class" did the TNiA folks put you in? In SE division SCCA, they say "production based" cars only. I have gathered that "home built" stuff like my Slotus *Or your see-thru truck* would not be allowed. So, where did they put you and your Subie-beast, class/run group wise?

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 4:36 pm 

This is one of my favorite builds.. nice to see another update, and nice job with the pics :cheers: (the lumber pic is my favorite too)..

I know very little about Subie power.. any fixes for the weak-link tranny?

Please keep updating from time to time.. love that it's getting used 8)

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: January 14, 2020, 8:45 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Good set of pictures! I like all of them...

What "class" did the TNiA folks put you in? In SE division SCCA, they say "production based" cars only. I have gathered that "home built" stuff like my Slotus *Or your see-thru truck* would not be allowed. So, where did they put you and your Subie-beast, class/run group wise?

:cheers:
JDK

the TNiA rules are pretty generic, if it's got a plate, your good. Theres 3 "classes".

Novice: you go out for 4 sessions, first one is paced, the 3 hot sessions. Passing is limited to select straights with point by. Recap meetings between sessions
Intermediate: similar to novice but only 3 hot sessions, no meetings
Advanced: This class is for the guys that do it a lot. They have the fast cars, with the occasional guy that doesnt belong, How you say. becuase at TNiA you place yourself when you sign up. It can be your first time at track, you can put yourself in advance and piss them guys off if you wanted to.

PostPosted: January 14, 2020, 8:51 am 

ccrunner wrote:
This is one of my favorite builds.. nice to see another update, and nice job with the pics :cheers: (the lumber pic is my favorite too)..

I know very little about Subie power.. any fixes for the weak-link tranny?

Please keep updating from time to time.. love that it's getting used 8)

--ccrunner

Subie weak links are the older 5mt transmissions. At about 350 wheel torque you have to start being very careful, even below that one wrong move can break 2nd or 3rd gear. The general "fix" is to get an Sti 6 speed, not to be confused with newer WRX 6 speeds, not the same. Has to be a Sti 6 speed. They are a hole other animal, they hold upwards of 800hp and are setup differently to be more rear biased, so less understeer when throttling out of a corner. Along witht he 6 speed is the rear end. Sti's have a R180 rear end, think it stands for 180mm ring gear. Standard subaru rear ends are R160, like all of them except the Sti. Many different gear ratios. Its possible to use a R160 with a 6 speed but since its more rear biased, teh r160 is more prone to failure. R180 also require larger axles. So if you swap out your 5 speed for a 6 speed, it generally requires the entire drivetrain to be swapped, including the hubs, spindles, and even brakes and wheels. Since Sti's are a 5x114.3. The Sti is much more than just a badge on a WRX, the whole car is upgraded.

The other common track issue with Subaru's is oiling, the motors are flat and wide so hard cornering can result in oil starvation as the oil may be pooling in the heads. Theres aftermarket pans out there from guys like killer bee that are baffled "better" to keep oil in pan, but if your serious about tracking a subaru, you should have a dry sump.

PostPosted: January 31, 2020, 10:07 am 

Few more updates

I acquired a 6speed transmission and R180 rear differential, I am now safe to 800hp 8)

old ceramic clutch. dont know if anyone needs a subie drivetrain but i have one cheap. 08 Legacy 4:11 5mt, southbend ceramic clutch and a R160 VLSD 4:11 rear diff

I also did some work to valve train, after spitting a valve shim using antilag, i relpace all my valve buckets with the new shimless type. These new buckets are 40% lighter than the shim over bucket type, and more importantly one peice, no chance of another lost shim. I could now rev to over 8k rpm.

I have also picked up a resin pot, vacuum pump, bagging materials and carbon fiber to begin redoing my aluminum panels in carbon fiber. The chassis is being stripped and painted black as well. Winter fun!

PostPosted: January 31, 2020, 12:47 pm 

Looking awesome as always! Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: February 5, 2020, 10:42 am 

Started dabbling in Carbon Fiber last night. Baby steps, starting with skinning, as i get more comfortable, i'd like to make some molds and replace the panels all together in carbon fiber. This is vacuum bagged chopped/forged carbon. If it turns out, it will be a worlds first as far as I know. I also mixed chopped basalt into the carbon for some color bling, bronzy highlights

pulled from vacuum bag and given a topcoat. new plan for chassis is "Hammered grey" instead of black

and cut a new cluster panel so i dont have to skin over Ollie's signature

PostPosted: February 18, 2020, 3:23 pm 

shiny

PostPosted: February 19, 2020, 4:50 am 

Much awesomeness! Very inspiring work - it looks fantastic and is still locost!

PostPosted: February 19, 2020, 4:59 am 

terryjr wrote:

I acquired a 6speed transmission and R180 rear differential, I am now safe to 800hp 8)

Excellent transmission, I have no knowledge of these scoob units, can I ask what the model type is for your 6 speed? I am looking for a transaxle for my setup, but have 688NM or 500 ftlb torque to withstand so need to research more.

cheers,
Marcus.

PostPosted: February 20, 2020, 2:51 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
terryjr wrote:

Excellent transmission, I have no knowledge of these scoob units, can I ask what the model type is for your 6 speed? I am looking for a transaxle for my setup, but have 688NM or 500 ftlb torque to withstand so need to research more.

cheers,
Marcus.

This particular unit is from a 08-09 JDM Legacy GT Spec B. Its essentially the same as the "STI" Six Speed but different in a few ways.

1. Its about half the cost on ebay through importers
2. It has no DCCD, most 04ish and newer STi's have whats known as DCCD, Drive Controlled Center Diff. This lets you adjust torque front to rear, typically rear biased. The unit i purchased has a standard Subaru manual tranmission 50/50 VSLD center diff.
3. This transmission has an open front diff. The Sti units usually have some sort of limited slip front diff.
4. This units gearing is "higher", its not as close ratio'd as and Sti. To me its a win, lower rpm on highway in 6th with 1-5 still being close to the ratios i have in my old 5 speed

Somewhere around 2006 Subaru updated the syncros in the 6 speeds. From what i understand, if its a 1.1:1 Transfer gear trans, it has the updated syncros. That 1.1:1 is also a big deal. Although most 6 speeds are labeled as 3.90 final drive, the 1.1:1 transfer gear means you need a 3.545 rear differential so that the front and rear wheels turn the same speed.

PostPosted: February 20, 2020, 2:54 pm 

I think the colors work well together. I went through several trial and error colors before settling on Rust-oleum Hammered Black. Its more like a dark gunmetal, for whatever reason its not "hammering" for me but thats fine. It looks nice in person

PostPosted: February 28, 2020, 10:16 am 

got the dash buttoned up last night. Had to finish wiring in a MAP DCCD VSS converter. Since this 6 speed is post 2008, it does not have a built in speed sensor for the ECU/Dash. In newer Subaru's the speed signal comes from the ABS unit. MAP DCCD makes a converter, all i needed to do is install a stock subaru wheel speed sensor, no brainer, and then wire it directly to the MAP DCCD VSS unit. Attache power and ground, and a new pulsed speed signal comes out. its also adjustable to match GPS speed. With that installed, I am not free to use any transmission i please.

I also got started on the hood. The 1st gloss coat is applied and curing, I'll give it a sanding and apply the final coat once I order more epoxy.

Now just waiting on axle seals to finish up under the hood and finally get it all back together.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next