LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: November 8, 2021, 7:05 pm 

JAMADOR wrote:
:shock:
Some of the prior shots with it parked near a modern car make it look diminutive, those make it look like a toy.

RE: Wheels: The silver looks better with the rough body, but I think the white will look great on the finished product.

I think we all hope to avoid any kind of collision in these toys. I saw it written somewhere that you put it more in the risk category of a motorcycle, instead of a car, with how much more you're exposed.

Wheels: I agree.. The white wheels are really too clean for this Picasso-mess body.. I think the rims will look nice once the rest of the body is at very least in one color..

The danger in driving this car is real.. it's too small, and too low- much lower than a motorcycle.. As fate would have it, I'm about ready to get back on a streetbike after many years without one.. We'll see, but I'm pretty certain I'll be safer on the bike than in this car; and to be fair, not really very safe with either of them.. Just need to be crazy careful..

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: November 9, 2021, 7:43 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

White rim, black or suitable color for the body like an audi/Porsche red or yellow center, with 70s vw bug chrome center caps and replacement clips riveted to the rim. The caps have holes on one side for a wire tool that hooks into the holes for removal. The 60s caps are deeper domed. Not sure of the dims but I may have some caps I can measure if you are interested.

An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AG1FUSXsRw
That may be a little smaller than a Lotus 23. Currently the cars finish looks a lot like urban camouflage plus the size just doesn’t register. A nice bright, solid color to contrast the surroundings would help. However, when it does register and is unusual, people also have a tendency to steer toward where they are looking. I think a bike would be safer. You are likely to go under a bumper and wheel in the car where you may be thrown on a bike. Nobody is safe these days: https://www.al.com/news/2021/11/tina-ti ... hicle.html

It looks like he ran straight into the back of her rav4, driving the rear axle under the front seats and tweaked the body so bad the doors would not open. I wonder if an old, poorly maintained tesla would see the berk.

The most important safety equipment is between the ears.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 9, 2021, 1:15 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:

Truer words rarely exceed those of that sentence.

BMW 2002 donor, M10 motor, 4 spd trans, IRS, tube chassis.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20787

PostPosted: November 10, 2021, 12:45 am 

JackFrost wrote:
Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:

Truer words rarely exceed those of that sentence.

These toys would have killed me in my 20s... Somewhere along the way, awareness of my mortality has thankfully set in, and that insight helps enlightened me do less-stupid things (usually :lol: ).. Now I worry much more about others taking me out, as opposed to dummy me doing it to myself :mrgreen:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: November 10, 2021, 11:20 am 

^ Definitely agree with that one.
Had a motorcycle briefly last year, a Kawasaki Vulcan S. An odd bike that didn't really fit into any category. Engine from a Ninja 650 sitting in a Vulcan cruiser body, didn't fit in with the sportbike boys nor the v-twin cruiser group. But, it was a really nimble bike & revved to 10k rpm :twisted:
Got rid of it because we have 3 kids & the wife didn't like me commuting in Houston traffic on it.
Definitely would've gotten me into lots of trouble or injury if I'd had something like it in my 20s.

Told her, if the bike goes, I'm getting another toy, now there's an in-progress Locost in the garage 8)

Still have access to her dad's Indian & we go out every once in a while on an early Saturday morning ride (he's also got a big Victory touring bike).

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: November 30, 2021, 1:43 pm 

Thanksgiving Week 2021

I'm still screwing around and not building cars- which is just fine.. Lisa and I are both teachers, so we're blessed with a fair amount of time off, in this case, the week of Thanksgiving. The actual holiday is not a big deal as it's just the 4 of us; After years of long Thanksgiving/Christmas treks to see the extended family, we now travel only at X-mas, liberating us to do 'non-family' things for this Nov break.. So no big dinner to cook, no traditions to adhere to, this year Lisa chose for us to visit Flagstaff and Sedona Arizona..

Flagstaff was our first stop, about 10 hours drive from home.. the city is at about 8000,' so the weather could have gone either way, but we got lucky, and it was perfect.. The true destination was the "Lava Tubes" (caves) just outside of town. Pretty cool and worth your time if you ever get the chance.. It was a little tight for the 1st 1/4 mile going in, but after that it was an easy 'stand up' hike in for about a mile.. Life and growing up is encroaching on our little family and our plans; our oldest daughter couldn't make it because of work- she missed out.. maybe another time..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 30, 2021, 2:43 pm 

Sedona, AZ

You should go to Sedona if you've never been.. it's hard to capture its beauty in a picture.. in person, the landscape transcends the pixels- you simply have to go..

However, you need to know this going in: They're going to want to talk to you about your aura, your energy, your Chakra, and how it likely needs 'balancing.' I didn't even know I had a Chakra, or worse, that I've so obviously been neglecting it. For perspective, I'm a native Californian, and I'm well aware of the tree bark, granola-munching, yoga-mat stereotypes there are about us, but I'll tell you what, we've got nothing on Sedona.. There are more crystal shops and aura experts per square mile there than even the street corner psychics are willing to admit- and they know stuff- just ask them!

It's a glorious, beautiful tourist trap that brings people from far and wide.. It is stunning.. It is a Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon come to life. We sought out a hike/ destination called "Devil's Bridge." If you choose to go, the last 1/4 mile gets VERY steep and treacherous.. I suggest you don't bring your dog, your grandma, or your baby (although many people did!)..

The middle pic is Lisa standing on the arch. The fall would be about 70-80 feet, and most people showed absolutely no fear as they took their turn to get a picture.

There are not many places like this.. (the vibes, the energy, the Karma and the spiritual kitchen sink notwithstanding) :lol:

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 30, 2021, 5:59 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Thanks for sharing! Maybe you both could teach via zoom from a camper with your phone as a hot spot?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 1, 2021, 11:59 am 

Nov 27-28, 2021

Back at it!

The muse is back! :D ....Finally, she suddenly reappeared.. I've missed her.. The pull to return to the Berkeley drew me back out to the garage the day after our Arizona trip came to an end.. I think the march of the calendar has something to do with this too.. First thing you know it's December, then it's spring, and fast forward to I can't believe it's been another year..

On with it then :wink: ..My yellow motorcycle tank was so convenient to use- plug and play with its integrated fuel filter, pump, and sending unit. Trouble is, the way I had it mounted caused too much flex and movement under hard braking and acceleration, and it developed a leak at the seams down near the lower mount.. My mounting design was to blame, but there's a silver lining in the needed rework, as it gives me a chance to up the capacity a bit.. I'm getting about 25 mpg, and that 5.0 gallon bike tank gave me range anxiety at about 120 miles- This is the perfect time to add a few gallons capacity.

So here I am modding my 8.0 gallon tank to fit my application. 8 gallons of fuel is pretty heavy for this small, light car, but in spite of that, I like having the option to top it off for better distance when it matters. I've decided to fab in the OEM Honda sender, which involves flipping it 180* and extending the float arm. I spent almost 1/2 a day fiddling with gallons of water and bending and filling and draining and refilling, and I'm down to this: When the last 'bar' starts flashing on the dash, I've got exactly 1.25 gallons left (approx 30 miles).. at 1/2 tank (4 out of 8 bars) I have exactly 1/2 tank (4 gallons), and on the upper end (3/4 to full tank), the gauge lies, and indicates there's a bit more fuel than there really is (reads about .75 gallons too high).. This appears to be the best I can do with this gauge.. I've rationalized that since I can't seem to get it to be honest on both the top and the bottom, I'm much more concerned with an accurate reading on the lower half of the gauge..

The filler neck gets a beneficial rework too.. the black neck in the pics was used with the bike tank, and the straight neck is the new design.. That hard kink in the 1st neck necessitated that I gas up very slowly; the new straight-shot neck should not suffer that same flaw..

As I'm still not set up to weld aluminum, on 11-29-21 I dropped the tank off with Doug, the local radiator guy who is happy to take on small odd jobs, like welding up the giant hole in the top of my aluminum tank.. I should have it back in a week or so..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 1, 2021, 12:20 pm 

Stuff on the way...

I've ordered 2 things to solve a few issues..

The first is an upgraded rectifier and stator wiring.. These VFRs are well known for having wiring issues when it comes to charging- specifically a VERY hot rectifier that 100% will fail and leave you stranded one day.. I'm planning to take the car's nose off again soon (over Xmas break), so it seems a good time to install this little bit of insurance..

The second upgrade is a very clever product that I've only seen at Speedway Motors: a bolt-on, self-cancelling turn signal switch (Part # 910310311).. This is a bit of a luxury for a silly little car like the Berkeley, but it's a pretty clean install, and for my purposes, the temporary switch at the end of the stalk will serve as my horn.. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this little gem integrates into the car's interior..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 2, 2021, 9:55 am 

You could try these mods.
When running a Honda M/C for 24hrs, and having a high electrical demand, we moved the rectifier to the front of the M/C, directly in the air flow and drilled air cooling holes in the stator cover plate. We finally junked the Honda system and went with a belt drive alternator.
davew

PostPosted: December 2, 2021, 10:02 am 

Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving and needed break. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

It’s nice to see the muse is back and you are back at it. I know what you mean about time marching on, they definitely don’t finish themselves :).
Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: December 6, 2021, 2:22 pm 

Dec 4, 2021

I might be overbuilding the rear section of the frame where the new gas tank will live, but the full tank will weigh almost 55 lbs, so I want to make sure it's solid. I'm also taking this opportunity to fab in four 3/8" blind nuts at the rear of the car to potentially provide anchor points, should I ever want to bolt something to the rear of the car (a light luggage orIce chest rack?/ a flag mount?/ a very light duty trailer hitch-mount?.... I'm not sure if I'll ever even utilize these anchor points, but I want them there just in case a need for them arises)..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 6, 2021, 2:36 pm 

Dec 5, 2021

Fabbing in the 'new' (now modded) fuel tank.. She holds 8 gallons, and should offer an comfortable 180 mile range. I'm not yet done with the mounts, as she needs a transverse strap across the forward front edge, but for the most part, it's in.

While I'm back in this exposed section of the frame, I still need to fab in two removable supports that will bolt up under the lip on the fiberglass body out on the rear corners.. I'm also going to relocate the battery into the void behind the pass rear wheel. The battery is currently tucked tight up under the dash, and it is unreachable without pulling the body off- in short, I want to be able to get to the battery if I need to..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 6, 2021, 7:41 pm 

Nice work as usual!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 88  Next