LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 8:06 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
It may look like the cowl is going to sit very high off the frame, but the floor is always going to be within 3/8" of the frame in most flat planes. I wanted the cowl mounts high to fit the steering and brake pedal and leave me some toe wiggle room. Even as high in the frame as I have the engine, it's still pretty low overall. Time to start collecting 1" square tube......

PostPosted: July 25, 2018, 9:49 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Progress has slowed to glacial pace at this time. I have been doing stuff, but it's fairly tedious and not-picture friendly yet. I'm working on the cowl base, from where all of the floor and other sheet metal will progress rearwards. I'm building this piece "strong like bull" for safety's sake. The nightly monsoons have not aided my efforts, either. Almost out of 16ga for building the cowl, but should have -just enough- to do it. When it's done, the body -should- be light enough for two people to lift off the frame. If not, I will be adding lift points (links of chain welded to the structure in discreet spots) to make it an engine hoist job.

PostPosted: July 27, 2018, 1:05 am 

Hi Raccoonman
I always like to see how other people visualise their dream cars... and to see how they solve the same problems as others, but in a different way...
I'm looking forward to following this one.
Thanks MangPong.

PostPosted: July 27, 2018, 10:30 am 

I have a lot of idle time at work so I spend a lot of time reading through various forums and watching YouTube how'd he do that videos, in between mad rushes back and forth to do my real job. I read several threads on the HAMB where builders went completely outside the box so to speak and made some amazing stuff with actually very little in the way of machinery and tools. Some, like myself, even working out in the open. The main concept in my build is to approximate in some way a miniature Bentley Blower touring car. There's kit cars that -look- something like a child's drawing of what they saw one time from a distance on a cloudy day and THOUGHT it was a Bentley.... so, making one from -literally- scratch is what this po boy is doing.

PostPosted: August 3, 2018, 7:53 am 

Nothing picture worthy, but I did cut out my floor pans last night and some strips to form hat channel and angles with. Driver's side pan still needs more cut away to clear transmission better. Need to bead roll the pans to get some stiffness back in them; they're floppy as a Lab's ears.

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 10:24 am 

Raccoonman wrote:
Nothing picture worthy, but I did cut out my floor pans last night and some strips to form hat channel and angles with. Driver's side pan still needs more cut away to clear transmission better. Need to bead roll the pans to get some stiffness back in them; they're floppy as a Lab's ears.

NO. Wrong. EVEYTHING is picture-worthy. Quit Slacking.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 4:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

robbovius wrote:
Raccoonman wrote:

NO. Wrong. EVEYTHING is picture-worthy. Quit Slacking.
If nothing else, take a picture of your Lab's ears... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 6, 2018, 7:43 am 

STILL nothing worth switching to the camera mode. Decided that the stuff I was using to make a bending brake was too light, so the bottom two pieces are getting sourced today. Did manage to make the hold down clamp and satisfied with the strength in that since I added fillet pieces to it. Didn't even get to bead roll anything due to everything still being a slimey sloppy mess outside. And god awful humidity. And to think I was considering moving the build into the back yard.........

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 8:00 am 

Our terminal got a new yard buggy yesterday and it arrived CKD in a steel "crate".... I dibbed the steel and made off with a load of light gauge angle iron (and I DO mean LIGHT) and a little over 240" of what must be metric rectangular tube, odd size, 1 1/4" x 1 5/8" approximate. Not quite sure how useful the angle iron will be unless I weld two pieces together to make box sections. It welded up good; it took about six whiz wheels to part down the bottom frame to get the tubes loose. I can at least make a decent battery box from the angle, anyway

PostPosted: August 13, 2018, 8:40 am 

I've been separating the steel into groups; large angles, intermediate, and small angles, and flat stock. There's a fair amount of usable stuff left. Rolled some beads into my left and right floor boards; that's quite a job by yourself. And yes, that roller needs a wheel instead of a crank handle. It's easy to hit a spot where you're leaning the wrong way to apply the required pressure to keep the bead rolling straight.

PostPosted: August 14, 2018, 12:10 pm 

Doing a walk-through of the shop yesterday, I spotted a piece of dropoff from an ISO container we're repairing... cleaned it up last night, it'll be a great half of a hammer form for making ribs to attach body sheet metal to. Well, with some modifications. It needs to be shortened a bit.

PostPosted: August 16, 2018, 12:04 pm 

This is a layout of the upper cowl and dashboard frame base arc on a sheet of 16ga. Gonna be some whiz wheels burned up getting these out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 17, 2018, 1:23 pm 

I wasn't wrong about the whiz wheels..... five or six used up. Appears that going around a radius really eats them up. Still got a lot more cutting to do, but I'm going to weld the T onto the dash frame before I cut it any smaller.

PostPosted: August 20, 2018, 7:57 am 

Attachment:
Aug 19 Starting to look like a car.jpg
Productive weekend at last, even if it did end with massive cramps in my legs. Yeah there's gaps but I got a metal sprayer. It's actually taking on a 7-ish profile with the rather low cowl.... have to leave the scuttle open until the steering column, brake pedal, and throttle are installed. Can't store the body in the RV now..... Oh, and the body is bolted to the frame with rubber insulator blocks, not welded to it anywhere.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 22, 2018, 9:12 am 

Spent a couple of hours looking at some various pieces of junk (yep, junk) trying to see if any of it looked like it might assemble into a brake pedal assembly.... to hang from the firewall. Cut up a junk floor jack for hinge pins, cut up a piece of 5" square tube to make a mount.... Stole the design straight from the Speedway catalog. Just have to get the 6:1 ratio as close as possible and keep the master cylinder clear of the steering column. I should have brought it to work to use the drill press on it. Used up the last of my cutting discs just as I was making the last cut on the square tube.