LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: August 16, 2019, 8:57 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
Slant six?
Had one once but not sure how it relates to my title issue.

:oops: Oops! Only read page 2, saw 225 ci and immediately and erroneously mentally jumped to slant 6. My excuse...I'm a product of my youth when my Dad drove a series of slant 6 vehicles. Oops! :oops:

PostPosted: September 19, 2019, 11:25 pm 

Rover 101 FC is now titled, seems the suit process works.
New plate will be "101 FC". :D

Now I'm looking for an old plow or disc to put behind it for gardening the extra acre out back.
Also getting the XJ6 rear back together soon, so will finally have space to get the Dio-Tipo II inside.

PostPosted: July 10, 2020, 12:52 am 

Back on topic.
Making progress on the Buick Dio Tipo.
Building a 230" odd-fire with 231 tall-port heads.
Got some nice valve covers, bee-hive valve springs, a billet steel flywheel, and a cam is on order.
Still won't be an LS (Yay!) but should be potent enough.
Since it's to be a "Vintage" build it has to be odd-fire for the "Unique sound".

PostPosted: July 15, 2020, 12:46 am 

Hmm, this site does not do polls.
Need to decide on the windshield design.
Original is plexiglass mounted with boat type hardware, no way it's legal in most states. :(
Look is like a 55 Chevy or Corvette but smaller.
The only similar correct size unit I can find that is DOT safety glass is from a FIAT 1100 TV, at $1,500.00 :shock:
Common fall-back is Porsche Speedster, which fits OK but is not really low-cost, or my preference.
Another possibility may be a Spitfire windshield cut-down at the bottom to allow more rake.
They are cheap enough to ruin a couple and still be way ahead of the other options. :)

Trying to budget expected funds so need to decide which way to go ASAP.
Goal is to actually COMPLETE the build THIS year.

Oh, and I do also intend to use a lot of period correct LUCAS lights and switches! :lol:

PostPosted: July 17, 2020, 5:06 pm 

What are the windscreen dimensions that you need?

PostPosted: July 18, 2020, 11:06 am 

One possibility that has been mentioned a time or two here on the forum is the curved windscreen from a '73 or later VW Super-Beetle.

PostPosted: July 18, 2020, 2:34 pm 

Yes, but that is another that starts out too tall.
I am going to have to learn the tricks of cutting curved safety glass, or spend a lot more.

PostPosted: January 8, 2021, 1:37 am 

Dio/Buick is now Job #1 as soon as the new shop goes up middle of next month. :D
Funding in the bank next Tuesday, I've been shopping for tires, gauges, seats.....

In the meantime I'm completing my truck.
Have a couple of cars to go pick up ASAP.
Will be going from Reno area to So. Cal and So. AZ.
Anyone need something transported south, cheap?

PostPosted: April 1, 2021, 11:56 pm 

"End of next month", um, OK, how about mid April?
I've moved out of the rented shop so now have way too much sitting on a concrete slab without cover.
Hope to get the cover up this weekend to early next week.

As to the Dio Tipo, the T10 transmission is rebuilt and waiting for me to pick it up.
Engine block #1 was not good so dropped another off to the machine shop today.
If this one is not good I may have to confirm that an odd-fire crank will fit an even-fire block.
Should probably just check on that anyway. :mrgreen:
Might have given up and just done a 3.8/231 but I've already bought the 225 lightened flywheel.

PostPosted: April 2, 2021, 7:10 am 

There is a Lalo build somewhere on the site using a Chev or Ford pickup wrap-around windshield. It is (for that build) the right height, but too wide so has two vertical cuts take the centre out and then the cut line is butted together with silcone. Cheap too: I think the OP reported several hundred bucks.

Edit - it was in the Lalo thread in 'Exterior'. (Page 26 is a good starting point with photos)

PostPosted: February 2, 2022, 11:04 pm 

Well, I'm making another run at getting this one built ASAP.
Shop is finally up and has power.

Some changes have come up.
That 225 Odd-Fire has gotten a Moldex stroker crank and Carillo rods, so it's now going into my keeper Trick-6 build.
So the 231 even-fire now goes into the Dio Tipo after all.
Largely because it is already built while the Odd-Fire is going to be just too expensive to sell, and too powerful, by the time it is completed.
The 231 has an aluminum flywheel, it should spin up nicely.

I've been doing inventory, this is the most complete of my projects that I will be able to bear selling.
Also one I think may bring the best return, as well done period correct "Tribute" cars are going for big dollars.

Pretty simple build as I've already done a chassis for the Alfa powered car and this one uses a TR4 base.
Major consideration of the moment is the cleanest manner to modify the rear of the chassis.
Need to convert from 2" ID Square tube to 1.5" OD round.
That lets me change the Roman Chariot era inspired frame-under leaf springs to four link and coil-overs.
I've driven TR3/4's, and know about the built in speed limiter as the inside wheel leaves the ground on corners.
Do not want that in this build. :!:

PostPosted: February 3, 2022, 8:37 am 

Richard

Here is my thought on this. Where the X part of the frame comes to meet, where just before the front, rear spring mounts are. Mark the frame here and build a mounting box to build from. You can then make your round tubing support for the rear axle. This can be done so that this can be bolted or welded. Then do the same to the rear of the frame. Once this is to your liking you can cut the frame, eliminating the frame where the axle would reside.

These frames were weak from the factory and after 50-60 years will need some strengthening no matter what.

I take it from your information that you plan to autocross or do something like that with the car.

Red

PostPosted: February 3, 2022, 10:46 pm 

No worry on the chassis as it will have a space-frame structure added to the TR rails.
Here is a pic of the old Art Morrison design.

Attachment:
100_7410.jpg

Since it is being built for resale I will limit my driving, but I do want it to handle well.
Physical build is relatively simple, but the aesthetics are not.
Have to keep it period correct as much as is practical.
Not easy, I have to use vintage pieces that now go for premium prices.
Fortunate that I still have most of what I need from my hoard.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 4, 2022, 8:48 am 

The Dio body is a beautiful design! Look forward to seeing this one.

Mentioning using a Sprite windshield earlier It reminded me of a car I had so briefly that I never got it registered to me. Just weeks before I joined the USAF in 1971 I came across a Devin bodied TR3. The windshield frame was poorly fit to the body with large gaps at the outer body curves just before the fender peaks.

The Devin was modeled after a '56 Ferrari Testa Rosa. This one recently sold on Bring-A-Trailer. It is a good possibility it was actually my car since it used to race in Northern California! It has the same dune buggy seats and the rear taillights and did not have the fiberglass between the seats (like old Corvettes) that most of the bodies had. When I had it, the rollbar was not present nor was the racing gauges on the center dash. The 1st day I had it I took my Dad for a ride in it and got a speeding ticket and almost into a fight with the 2 cops. Dumb move looking back at it now! Luckly I new the young rookie cop from my martial arts class.

Not many of the original Devin bodies went on TR3 chassis as I understand it. There is a company near Hollywood CA that has the molds and will make one on demand. Makes me ponder my next project between seeing your car and this photo.
Attachment:
Devin bodied TR3.jpg

Thom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 4, 2022, 12:43 pm 

Decent looking DOT approved glass is often the most difficult item to accomplish with the old Kit Cars.
Mr. Fiat sells the perfect glass from a FIAT 1100 TV, but it is $1,500.00! :shock:
I may yet spring for it, but absolutely do not want it laying about until I am ready for it.

I am also on the hunt for set of appropriate vintage wheels.
May be able to use a set of TR6 steel that I have.
Wires would look the best but I am not certain they would live with the TR small hubs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next