LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: July 27, 2020, 9:51 am 

The datalogger (PL-1) had to be replaced. The boost leak was due to the crack in the signal hose to the wastegate and at the event yesterday there were a few spots that allowed enough right pedal for the car to accelerate at 0.8 g's :D

https://youtu.be/J95ZXz8pGSs

On the following run, the bolts holding the adapter for the crank trigger wheel and the DS pump drive pulley broke. The way that the adapter is nested within the adjacent alternator V-belt mount, one of the bolts broke low enough so that it still served as a drive pin and the oil pump kept turning, while the varying gap for the crank position sensor shut off the ignition. Fix: replace the four 10-24 bolts with M6-1.0 bolts along with adding two more and reduce the DS pump belt tension. Reducing the belt tension had been on the TDL, but obviously I hadn't put it high enough on the priority list. :oops:

PostPosted: August 10, 2020, 9:56 am 

The engine ran fine at the events the last two days. The Saturday course was fast and a whole lot more fun than the tight slow course on Sunday. Tire temps indicate that the suspension settings and tire pressures are good, so now the focus will be weight reduction and seat-time.

Sat:
https://youtu.be/adG0bhgHFLY

Sun:
https://youtu.be/8cYWlobQ4pw

A pic from a previous event with the car mid-corner:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 10, 2020, 12:18 pm 

That looked epic! Thanks for the videos, they were some great motivation to get to building!

PostPosted: August 10, 2020, 2:22 pm 

What is the body height at the base of the windshield?

I think a body drop is in my future.....

PostPosted: August 10, 2020, 2:36 pm 

Castrol,
I'm happy to contribute some motivation. :cheers:

BW,
The body height at the base of the windshield is 28.5 inches.

Ron

PostPosted: August 10, 2020, 5:02 pm 

Hey BW,
I just looked at the rx7 remnants and the frame rails in the firewall area are about two inches lower than the bottom of the rocker panels that I transferred to my car and mounted at the bottom of the tube frame. If you're really motivated, the 3rd gen RX7 is lower because they sectioned the rails up into the floor and put thick padding beside them to make the floor carpet flat.

PostPosted: September 6, 2020, 3:25 pm 

I was reviewing past in-car videos from the Caterham days and observed that there was a time in late 2016 when the engine ran much smoother. In looking at my notes, this was before I changed to an aftermarket single blade throttle body. So, last week the modified stock unit was re-installed and by golly, it ran smooth again, but it needed a different fueling map. I wasn't able to eliminate a lean tip-in condition, but took it to an AutoX yesterday for load testing. It ran crisp, but the lean tip-in will be addressed during the installation of a TEC-GT200 soon. While I've always had success with adjusting the TPS based adjustments for acceleration, I'm going to try the MAP based adjustments.

https://youtu.be/vZRL_6sNNXQ

PostPosted: September 11, 2020, 10:10 am 

That's an interesting issue. You'd think a specialty, aftermarket part would perform better than a mass produced production part.

By the way, I was fascinated watching the "wiggly worm" display from you accelerometer in the video. It kind of gives you a good visualization of the variation in forces and accelerations a car is experiencing on a course.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 11, 2020, 1:32 pm 

Hi Lonnie,
The single blade TB has about 5% more area than the stock unit and one might be able to see an increase on the dyno, but I knew that there wasn't any documentation of it when I bought it. But, I also knew that the change would eliminate the effectiveness of the factory manifold separate primary/secondary flow dynamics. At this point I'm not interested in a peak HP value.
Yes, I think that data shadow is a lot more informative and a nice surprise when the software developer offered some updates.

Ron

PostPosted: December 4, 2020, 10:04 pm 

I was thinking that eventually, I'd like to register the car as a replica of the early IMSA GTU cars. Way back in spring (seams like years ago), I got wheels and street tires that give the car 4 1/4 inches of ground clearance. Over the last few weeks, I've installed the stock column mount multi-switches and just the wiring for the lights/horn/hazard systems. The lights have now been installed as well as a GPS speedo. There are still some items that need to be done so, no target has been set yet for processing the paperwork.
I switched the door attachment from hinges to drop down pins so that while it's on the trailer, the door can be easily removed (climbing through the window got old - quick).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 5, 2020, 2:27 am 

Awesome build. Need a tire warmer at nationals? =)

seven13bt wrote:
The exhaust system fab has been completed.

You not worried about blowing over cones?

PostPosted: December 5, 2020, 4:46 pm 

racingfool93,
Thanks and thanks for the offer.
The side exhaust hasn't caused any cone problems.

PostPosted: March 31, 2021, 5:03 pm 

We had our first AutoX events last weekend. The new TEC-GT200 ECU with staged injectors and the stock throttle body reset for sequential operation had been tuned with minimal loaded runs and then some tweaks after Saturdays runs. This is the 9th (and last run) made on Sunday.

https://youtu.be/OtGFxHXnXf8

PostPosted: March 31, 2021, 6:01 pm 

Wow! Nice. That looked like you were cooking and love the sound.
Eric

PostPosted: April 2, 2021, 11:49 pm 

It made me a little dizzy, but it looks like fun.

You're all inside the cabin now, must feel De Luxe.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next