LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: MG GT V8
PostPosted: December 8, 2020, 8:56 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I see removable hardtops. He might possibly have some good GT windshields. And I know somebody driving out there sometime next year..... :mrgreen:

MUST RESIST! :BH:

Planning end of June, Chuck. Do you think a GT will fit on a 7x14 trailer?

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: December 8, 2020, 9:28 pm 

Steve, I don't know for sure. For both of my GT's, I used a U-Haul tow dolly. One GT was towed 150 miles and the other about 300 miles. With no engine/trans a dolly would be a no brainer. If you get a car with wire wheels, I would safety-wire the knockoffs in some manner. although I did tow an MGA with wire wheels about 1,500 miles once without safety-wires.

If you need an answer about the 7x14 trailer, ask me again in the Spring. I'll do some measuring.....

P.S. Tongue weight may be an issue with your 7x14 trailer. I assume it would be a single axle trailer. I like the tow dolly idea. Assuming they hold air, you have 2 full size spare tires already on the car in case of a flat tire. The tires may not be in great condition and may be 30+ years old as mine were. There is not much stress on the 2 road contact tires though. I took the calculated risk and had no issues. I know that you are supposed to have plates on the towed vehicle, at least in Illinois you are supposed to. I didn't have any LEO asking questions. I had titles and Bill of sales with me just in case.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 12:27 am 

Oh, this will be fun.. I love these little GTs.. I'm only recently joining the orbit of LBCs, and I look forward to learing as you build this one. Lots of pics as you go please :wink:

..You said your wife won't suffer the 7, the wind, etc.. My wife gave up on my fun cars years ago- the stuff I build 'scares' her (it's not at all scary, she's just a pampered Princess :lol: ).. Hopefully your wife will be cool with a V8 in that little cupcake-- Even with the planned AC, my wife wouldn't ride in it :(

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 7:27 am 

ccrunner wrote:
Oh, this will be fun.. I love these little GTs.. I'm only recently joining the orbit of LBCs, and I look forward to learing as you build this one. Lots of pics as you go please :wink:

..You said your wife won't suffer the 7, the wind, etc.. My wife gave up on my fun cars years ago- the stuff I build 'scares' her (it's not at all scary, she's just a pampered Princess :lol: ).. Hopefully your wife will be cool with a V8 in that little cupcake-- Even with the planned AC, my wife wouldn't ride in it :(

--ccrunner

I saw your P1800, love it, nice fabrication. I think she’ll be good. It’s going to be our little Grand Touring car. We make frequent trips to Door County throughout the year so this will be fun. If you have never heard of DC it’s like a Martha’s Vineyard type place sprawled out on our peninsula of north east Wisconsin. Filled with multimillion dollar houses and hundreds of pretentious people from Illinois(Chuck will love that). Lots of out door eating and drinking.
Anyway she is helping me build it in the interior and colors department, style, that sort of thing. I will document when we get rolling here.

PostPosted: January 2, 2021, 8:40 pm 

Ok, don’t laugh but it’s not sunny California and we certainly haven’t fast forwarded to June. In a weird way I was put in touch with a local MG parts guy. He’s like a used parts version of Moss Motors but in WI. I spent 3hrs with the old guy (British by the way) and listening and seeing what he was all about. Needless to say we had a bunch in common, against the age gap. He heard about my V8 project and wanted to show me this GT. He said it was headed to scrap but thought it would be good for my build. It’s been in a dry barn the last 25yrs and just hauled out last fall. Making its way to the crusher. I looked at a 67 on Thursday and it needed everything. Inner, outer sills, floors. The rest was there intact for $600.
This looks better. Until it’s opened you don’t know but on the surface it looks better, surely not worse. I told him I need a dash, front crossmember, hubs, seats, front and rear lenses. He said ok, would you entertain this. I need some welding on a Bugeye. So we looked at that sure enough a extremely rust free Bugeye in his shop. He’s had 2 guys say they would help and never show up. I can’t pass this up. I told him, I’ll show up and help. So as of now we’re bartering and next Saturday I’m
Hauling a 70 BGT home with a title, unreal. It’s kinda the way I wanted to find one. I’ll keep
You posted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 2, 2021, 10:43 pm 

Wish I was up there to help you. Russ

PostPosted: January 2, 2021, 11:03 pm 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
Wish I was up there to help you. Russ

Really? You’d jump back into this? Kinda surprised. This is the last one. Patti isn’t real enthused with the 7. So I said how about we build a kick ass GT car before I retire, she thought the B was nice looking, I would agree. Alright, Here we go.

PostPosted: January 3, 2021, 12:17 pm 

Here is where the goal is set. The dreaming part. We’ll how close we can get. Paint color, interior style, and color, seat design, and wheels. The Green GT has the wheels. I fell in love with this paint on the 275GTB. The seats are from a sprite. The guy that has the car said he has a couple sets. That’s good because I want one set. I’m calling it a gentleman’s GT and with the V8 it will be fantastic. Tentative name for her is Alice.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 3, 2021, 6:58 pm 

Are those TR6 wheels with MG hubcaps? I like.

I like the Paint on the 275GTB. I have a similar color in mind, but on the green tint instead of the blue. The Aston California Sage Green. I wonder how it would look with a deep merlot red interior?

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 3, 2021, 7:32 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Are those TR6 wheels with MG hubcaps? I like.

I like the Paint on the 275GTB. I have a similar color in mind, but on the green tint instead of the blue. The Aston California Sage Green. I wonder how it would look with a deep merlot red interior?

What the heck Chuck were on the same wave length. My wife did t like the green. Personally I love it. Idk about the merlot? Aston used green didn’t they. I have that car on my screen saver on my phone.

No I wish. I found out through enough tracking last night they are high dollar wheels made in the UK, like $1800/set. The TR6 with caps I’m trying to find. There are a set of NIB MG caps right now on EBay. But if they only fit 14” wheels, I don’t want that. 15-16” is what I want. I may have to convert the front to 5 lug to get what I want. The rear will be custom by Moser anyway.

PostPosted: January 3, 2021, 8:22 pm 

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-engine-s ... 430/page-2

The caps in the link are MGTD or MG Magnette caps (also a small number of early MGAs) They are the same as the MGA hub caps with the added motif. You would have to add the studs to the TR wheels in order to retain the hub caps. They are available. I think even have a couple in a box somewhere. I may even have a rusty cap in my spares to test fit if you need it.

It shouldn't be too hard to do for an experienced Locost builder. Maybe your MG guy has a set of TR wheels? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 3, 2021, 8:43 pm 

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/buy-se ... e.1766272/

Yes, I am an enabler :mrgreen:

BTW, TR6 wheels were made with 2 different widths. They will also have a larger scrub radius when used on an MGB.

PostPosted: January 3, 2021, 8:57 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/buy-sell-and-trade-forum.5/tr6-engine-wheels-body-panels-etc-for-sale.1766272/

Yes, I am an enabler :mrgreen:

BTW, TR6 wheels were made with 2 different widths. They will also have a larger scrub radius when used on an MGB.

Thanks a lot. I sent Chris an email. I just found this company and sent them
For info as well. These guys make a cool little turned aluminum cap.

https://www.corsasteelies.com/product-p ... teel-wheel

PostPosted: January 4, 2021, 10:48 am 

Back to the heads on the 5.0 motor. I strongly suggest looking for a set of aftermarket alum heads for your motor. They quench better, are 50lbs lighter (for the pair) and outflow the best of the ported stock heads. My favorites are the TFS Twisted Wedge heads. Many years ago I was lucky enough to grab a new pair of fully assembled, ported heads for less tan $1000! JUst bolting the heads onto a stock motor will result in a 50hp- 75hp gain! I have them on my Classic Roadster 427 now with a Kenne Bell S/C. Have yet to get it done- Covid has slowed down everything with my wife around all the time :roll:

Attachment:
IMG_1092.JPG

PostPosted: January 4, 2021, 11:16 am 

In regards to 15" steel wheels, Nissan Altima (mid 90's to early 2k's) share the 4.5" bolt pattern and can be reversed/modified to correct the offset (+45 but you really want +24 as they're 6"). I've picked up 9 in total for my car (2 are shot so will be test pieces), but I've elected to go with spacers and longer studs (Moser studs). There's a father & son duo in Florida, I think, that have done the reversed Nissan wheels and they were looking into hub caps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next