LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: MG GT V8
PostPosted: June 25, 2021, 7:12 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Started fitting the patch panel, scraped off some undercoating and got it ready for welding tomorrow. That was a full day believe it or not.

Oh, I believe it. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 26, 2021, 1:18 pm 

God look at this crap! Man, I just get annoyed with garbage. It fits great right? Look at the door gap, damn! It’s 18ga off in gap! Now I have to fill this gap with a thin strip. :BH: I have a little tidying up at the sill.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: June 26, 2021, 1:51 pm 

Can you imagine the trouble you would be going thru if you were restoring a car with no replacement sheet metal available at all? Be thankful for the poorly made replacement stuff that needs some tweaking. :mrgreen:

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 26, 2021, 3:19 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Can you imagine the trouble you would be going thru if you were restoring a car with no replacement sheet metal available at all? Be thankful for the poorly made replacement stuff that needs some tweaking. :mrgreen:

That I wouldn’t have taken on. You need an English wheel and know how to use it to do that level of work. I never expected this.

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 5:24 pm 

Back at it now after traveling most of July. Had a lot of fun but that doesn’t get MG’s restored. So I fully welded the passenger side floor in and finished the toe board. Cut out the boot floor and the driver side mini floor, and found 3 holes in the passenger mini floor, damn. I spent the afternoon today scraping more undercoating off. I think tomorrow I can get her scraped down and start grinding back to new metal where the replacements go. The new stuff in the mini floor driver side is a mess. I also have to replace part of that quarter panel, of which I scabbed off of another MG, ha. Should fit fine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 6:56 pm 

Tundra,
I found a little heat goes a long way on that stuff they use for the undercoating. I had a thick layer on my MGA. With some heat, it gels and scrapes off easy. Then I finished it with a poly wheel and it was like new metal. That stuff works well as long as water doesn’t get under it. The trunk floor just behind it was Swiss cheese.

BTW, your build is looking great, nice to follow along with another project in process.
Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 7:00 pm 

ohmite wrote:
Tundra,
I found a little heat goes a long way on that stuff they use for the undercoating. I had a thick layer on my MGA. With some heat, it gels and scrapes off easy. Then I finished it with a poly wheel and it was like new metal. That stuff works well as long as water doesn’t get under it. The trunk floor just behind it was Swiss cheese.

BTW, your build is looking great, nice to follow along with another project in process.
Cheers,
Eric

Wow that looks nice. I use a heat gun. It really doesn’t take much effort, it comes off pretty easy really. What was your next step? I’ve been using brake cleaner to get the rest of the residue off and a rag to wipe it down.

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 7:16 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Wow that looks nice. I use a heat gun. It really doesn’t take much effort, it comes off pretty easy really. What was your next step? I’ve been using brake cleaner to get the rest of the residue off and a rag to wipe it down.

I used Xylene, that stuff cuts right through the film left. For stubborn spots I used the poly wheel (like Scotchbrite but mounts on an angle grinder) and it came right off. I then gave it two coats of self etching primer to keep it from surface rusting.

I am past that now took the primer off to bare metal again and have the bottom in epoxy primer and it’s off the rotisserie. Hope to get it painted before the weather turns here.

Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 10:36 pm 

ohmite wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:

I used Xylene, that stuff cuts right through the film left. For stubborn spots I used the poly wheel (like Scotchbrite but mounts on an angle grinder) and it came right off. I then gave it two coats of self etching primer to keep it from surface rusting.

I am past that now took the primer off to bare metal again and have the bottom in epoxy primer and it’s off the rotisserie. Hope to get it painted before the weather turns here.

Cheers,
Eric

Thanks. That really turned out nice.

PostPosted: August 5, 2021, 10:41 am 

I use a torch and follow up with Mineral Spirits. Mineral spirits do a pretty good job and doesn't evaporate too quickly.

You are rapidly catching up to me. Keep up the progress. :cheers:

I was about to get working on it again, when my wife decided I need more room to work in the garage. She wants me to build a 160 sq ft shed for the lawn tractor, snow blower, garden tools and general car part storage. There goes another month-plus of car work! :BH: Then there is the MG Convert is losing coolant somewhere. I need to run a leak down test and a coolant pressure test to find out where it is going.

PostPosted: August 5, 2021, 11:48 am 

rx7locost wrote:
I use a torch and follow up with Mineral Spirits. Mineral spirits do a pretty good job and doesn't evaporate too quickly.

You are rapidly catching up to me. Keep up the progress. :cheers:

I was about to get working on it again, when my wife decided I need more room to work in the garage. She wants me to build a 160 sq ft shed for the lawn tractor, snow blower, garden tools and general car part storage. There goes another month-plus of car work! :BH: Then there is the MG Convert is losing coolant somewhere. I need to run a leak down test and a coolant pressure test to find out where it is going.

Chuck isn’t that the truth as soon as you get some good momentum going, slam there goes the honey do list, HA! The torch is way faster. I should have this clean today. Just ran for more gas of course I ran out. Went through 1 tank of gas for the welder, had to get that on Tuesday. Battery boxes should go today too.

PostPosted: August 5, 2021, 6:26 pm 

The undercoating is gone, wow feels like a mile stone. Battery boxes and motor mounts as well. Next is to tidy up from all the cutting and wash her down with mineral spirits and start fabbing up the new metal to go in. The torch with the putty knife worked awesome it came off really fast that was definitely the way to go.

PostPosted: August 7, 2021, 12:15 pm 

Eric, The Xylene is kind of a big deal man!! That stuff is incredible. The fumes on the other hand I can only take in small doses. I have about an hour and half into this and it looks great. I really don’t want bare metal so this is awesome. I figured the lead primer has lasted this long and it’s not falling off I’ll use it. Thanks a lot for the tip. The amount of grinding I have to do to clean up all of my cutting I’m not looking forward to but the base I need to get to warrants it.

PostPosted: August 7, 2021, 1:02 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Eric, The Xylene is kind of a big deal man!! That stuff is incredible. The fumes on the other hand I can only take in small doses. I have about an hour and half into this and it looks great. I really don’t want bare metal so this is awesome. I figured the lead primer has lasted this long and it’s not falling off I’ll use it. Thanks a lot for the tip. The amount of grinding I have to do to clean up all of my cutting I’m not looking forward to but the base I need to get to warrants it.

Yes, that Xylene is great stuff. Get yourself a 3M face mask with P100 organic vapor/acid gas cartridge type filters, it really cuts down in the fumes. I wear mine all the time, sanding, grinding also when welding. They work great and aren’t that uncomfortable. Glad to help.
Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: August 10, 2021, 4:29 pm 

All the undercoating is off, I did a frame repair today and cleaned up the left side floor for the new panel to go in. I have to do the quarter panel first, then the boot. Kinda have to work back words on this. I also had to remove the boot lid support to get in there and do the work. I think I’d like a new design with these but not quite sure what that should look like. It is a very thin piece of metal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 34  Next