LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: MG GT V8
PostPosted: March 24, 2021, 10:23 am 

I was looking at the way Dan Masters went to it. They left the factory 45 flange and made a mate on the dash which looked like they used the same bolt pattern. So a new flange was welded to the back of the dash. Looked nice. They really cut the dash up to get what they wanted. I’m probably 8 months from having to really get into it.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: March 24, 2021, 10:28 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Mother load!! TR6 wheels, early dash(that fits like [PooPoo]) tail lights, throttle pedal and early steering column and hub. The dash will take some ingenuity and YouTubing. I thought it may be close. Nope, not even close. Nonetheless cool stuff.

I love these things too. Total Dunlop look a likes. I got to go scavenge around the MG barns yesterday, gathering treasures, a lot of fun. I may go hang out with the retirees today too. It’s spring break you know.

PostPosted: March 29, 2021, 6:37 pm 

Seat frames came today. Pretty good shape. A little wire wheeling and Por 15 they’ll look like new. I had to spray them down with Kroil to loosen them up. Other than that they should work out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 29, 2021, 6:54 pm 

It was a long week. Not much got done on the MG, so much for really gaining on it during spring break. I opened up my big mouth before the MG ever came along and told a good friend of mine I would help him put a new drive train in his 46 Chevy. Well that was all week long. We have a T5 going in as well as springs, leaf springs, tube shocks, newer rear end, new tires. Total update so it can keep up with traffic. This weekend we should be done and waiting for a drive shaft.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 29, 2021, 7:57 pm 

A good start. Did you get the headrests? I recently rebuilt the bottoms on my '79. The straps were stretched so much I was sitting on the floor. I bought some nylon webbing and my Wife sewed them to fit. Then I reassembled them. So much better, even with the old foam.

You need a parts car? It's a bit of a drive for you. But it is free. 70-72 roadster.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 29, 2021, 10:01 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
A good start. Did you get the headrests? I recently rebuilt the bottoms on my '79. The straps were stretched so much I was sitting on the floor. I bought some nylon webbing and my Wife sewed them to fit. Then I reassembled them. So much better, even with the old foam.

You need a parts car? It's a bit of a drive for you. But it is free. 70-72 roadster.

Boy those look nice, that tube looks new. Your not that far, I’m used to the drive. My son goes to school at DePaul. Idk about the B, it is tempting. That might push my wife a little far. Thanks for the offer.

PostPosted: March 29, 2021, 10:18 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
rx7locost wrote:

Boy those look nice, that tube looks new. Your not that far, I’m used to the drive. My son goes to school at DePaul. Idk about the B, it is tempting. That might push my wife a little far. Thanks for the offer.

Wire wheel and Rustoleum. :mrgreen:

No problem. The car may be there for another week or so. Left by previous property owner's deceased husband. The new owner is rehabbing and just wants it gone. Saw me working on my '79 last Saturday and stopped to ask me if I wanted it. It is totally rusted out and has become a mouse habitat. I will be grabbing a few small bits later this week. I noticed he had headrests and thought you might be able to use them, and maybe some other parts.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 30, 2021, 7:00 am 

I was trying to think of what I might need off that. Center counsel I’ll probably make, headlights I’ll buy new. I think I have everything else. I have all my trim. I don’t think I do.

PostPosted: March 30, 2021, 8:40 am 

I get it. If it weren't for my '79 convertible, I wouldn't be wanting anything either. However....... my '79 doesn't have visors, or the tonneau bar. I could use a spare alternator too. I don't even know if this car has those. I wasn't looking for them at the time I looked things over. The new owner had already scrapped a bunch of brit-car books!

There is even a Spridget fiberglass, 1-piece bonnet there that needs a bit of work. Too bad somebody won't get these and put them to use.

Peace and good health :cheers:

PostPosted: April 3, 2021, 8:10 am 

rx7locost wrote:
I get it. If it weren't for my '79 convertible, I wouldn't be wanting anything either. However....... my '79 doesn't have visors, or the tonneau bar. I could use a spare alternator too. I don't even know if this car has those. I wasn't looking for them at the time I looked things over. The new owner had already scrapped a bunch of brit-car books!

There is even a Spridget fiberglass, 1-piece bonnet there that needs a bit of work. Too bad somebody won't get these and put them to use.

Peace and good health :cheers:

Does he know what he has? That bonnet is probably worth a grand or does he just want it hauled away?

PostPosted: April 3, 2021, 10:18 am 

Free for the taking.

PostPosted: April 4, 2021, 8:12 am 

Saturday was awesome for working outside. My neighbors didn’t appreciate the air chisel but it sure made quick work of the undercoating. Almost half done. I have to spray it down with mineral spirits to get it all off but it’s looking good. About 3 hrs work here. Once you hit the metal it shatters the stuff off, ran a wire wheel over it to scrape off the small bits.
I did find some small rust holes in the top part of right fender well that went through to the stiffener behind the fender well. I ordered that stiffener last week because I saw small holes. Good thing I was right. I’ll have to make a patch panel for the inner well. A little lower and it would have been in the cut out for the header. All the flakey paint is gone in the engine bay, so now the back half underneath and cut out the boot floor and the left inner boot floor. Small little corner piece is rotted out. It’s a bad spot to get to, very limited room. Most of the work has to be below. I also found some rear valance work with the hammer and dolly to do.

PostPosted: June 8, 2021, 10:57 pm 

Steve, No updates here? I guess the Facebook group gets more response. What I don't like about the Facebook groups is trying to follow 1 person's build. I cannot find a way to do that.

PostPosted: June 8, 2021, 11:21 pm 

Chuck your funny. Today was my first day back on Alice. Last Friday was the last work day until fall so it’s go time. Removed some more undercoating and did some stitch welding on structure then started in on RH sill.
Well this is something. Talk about fit like [PooPoo]. Too wide and too long. Roughly 3/8 to 1/2” too wide and 1/2” too long. Cut all The flanges off and started shaving down the width to get it to fit up under the bottom of the door arch. That is really close, another 16th should bring it in. Then it’s too long. The door/ fender line is out. I haven’t quite decided how it’s getting welded yet.

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 9:34 am 

Steve, My sills may have fit better than yours. It is hard to tell. I removed the doors as I had no confidence that they were in the correct place to start with. Too much previous steel work and lots of bondo in the sills as bought, along with pretty worn hinges were not instilling confidence, so I just used the car itself as a jig to fit the sills in a vertical location. I left the A pillar spot weld flanges and butted the sills up to them, the same as the original parts were. In the back, I left about 3/8" of the outer surface of the B pillar. This kept the factory front edge of the dogleg fairly stable and I fit the new sill to that in the rear. I butted the end of the new sill to the inner fender as received.

I have rough fitted the doors once or twice and my sills are close. Possibly closer than yours were. I will need to "widen" the top of the sill on one side. I may possibly need to move the indent below the front edge of the door. That will come later. I was and am focused on getting the major pieces required for my build located and finalized before I attack the "final" sheet metal rework.

Are you 100% certain you have Heritage OEM sills? I bought my sill pieces from the UK and the Heritage stickers were on the outer sills. The other pieces were made on Steelcraft tooling(mostly).

I'm sorry I can't give you any better info. This being my 1st MGB sill work, I don't have much experience in all the possible problems that a person would find along the way. Just keep at it and it will eventually work out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 34  Next