LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: MGB GT Zetec
PostPosted: September 16, 2021, 6:32 pm 

Steve,
Yup, it was posted on the FB group. I was going to reply there, but here will do... it's mild steel, so no back purging. Now that I know the routing I can make a new one at a later date, the hardest bit was trying to get things in the right spot, so there were some huge gaps from tacking a piece in an then shifting it around to make it go in the right direction.

The only reason for the wrap is to hide the welds for the interim. I had wrapped the headers on the Seven and Eleven I built, the Seven had 5 or 6 years of driving with no issues, while the Eleven had 3 years of limited use, with again no issues. I know that the wrap holds moisture when not in use and does keep the heat in, but I'm a bit embarrassed by the welds, so hiding them should make me feel a bit better.

It's interesting to see the differing opinions on that group, though. I understand that some people that want to keep things 100% stock, but I dont understand why they have to post disparaging comments. Personally, unless it's a pre 1967 MGB or a factory GT V8 (or even the rarer pull handle car), I don't see any issues with modifying one, they aren't particularly rare.

Miatav8,
I hadn't thought about tapered passages, I will look into that. But, the helmholtz does look like an easy way to get rid of the drone, and it's a bit easier to vary the size, just add or subtract some volume until you get it right. I did try an insert on the Europa tailpipe, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped, though I might have made it a bit too small. I really should get it running before I embark on the exhausting research into noise reduction

PostPosted: September 16, 2021, 7:14 pm 

That’s nuts you had one wrapped that long. I’ve seen the pics and even when I did the 7 I had 40yr vets on car building tell me the same thing the articles were said. I wonder if some of this is urban legend. It’s pretty hard to refute actual experience.
When I set up the header on the 7 I got the first direction set with 2 tacks then every turn I mocked up with painters tape. When they were good, scratch off a spot of tape and put 1 tack to hold the weight, worked out pretty well. Those slip on collectors you can buy all over the place, $35 or something, cheap.
I’m almost off those MG pages. In my mind their all morons. I was warned by that Andy that replied to you. He’s cool, that’s it, all morons, well Chuck is on there too. Chucks not a moron. The rest are,LOL

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: September 16, 2021, 9:49 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
Steve,
Yup, it was posted on the FB group. I was going to reply there, but here will do... it's mild steel, so no back purging. Now that I know the routing I can make a new one at a later date, the hardest bit was trying to get things in the right spot, so there were some huge gaps from tacking a piece in an then shifting it around to make it go in the right direction.

The only reason for the wrap is to hide the welds for the interim. I had wrapped the headers on the Seven and Eleven I built, the Seven had 5 or 6 years of driving with no issues, while the Eleven had 3 years of limited use, with again no issues. I know that the wrap holds moisture when not in use and does keep the heat in, but I'm a bit embarrassed by the welds, so hiding them should make me feel a bit better.

It's interesting to see the differing opinions on that group, though. I understand that some people that want to keep things 100% stock, but I dont understand why they have to post disparaging comments. Personally, unless it's a pre 1967 MGB or a factory GT V8 (or even the rarer pull handle car), I don't see any issues with modifying one, they aren't particularly rare.

Miatav8,
I hadn't thought about tapered passages, I will look into that. But, the helmholtz does look like an easy way to get rid of the drone, and it's a bit easier to vary the size, just add or subtract some volume until you get it right. I did try an insert on the Europa tailpipe, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped, though I might have made it a bit too small. I really should get it running before I embark on the exhausting research into noise reduction

Nice job on the header. A bit of grinder work and some flat black VHT header paint will make those welds virtually disappear.
Attachment:
VHT finished header.JPG

As for those wankers on the Facebook group, just ignore them. A car model that had over 500,000 made is not special at all. The MGB in any incarnation isn't especially special. It is just a well loved car model, That's all. They must have been brought up in a home where everyone was special and they all got trophies to prove it.

cs3tcr wrote:
I’m almost off those MG pages. In my mind their all morons. I was warned by that Andy that replied to you. He’s cool, that’s it, all morons, well Chuck is on there too. Chucks not a moron. The rest are,LOL

Don't hold back now Steve. Tell us what you really think. I try to minimize my commenting on Facebook. I've been thinking about leaving that Facebook group as there is very little of any value there. I really hate Facebook's groups in general though. It is impossible to search past posts. Seeing the same questions over and over again is the result. In addition, if something pops up, you leave the page and then want to go back you don't see the post you saw a few moments ago, Nothing like this site. This is where the real builders go for open ideas. If a MG site is what you are after, mgexp.com is a good site, they accept all MG fans. They have a area dedicated to engine swaps of all kinds. They even have a small special area for those concourse fans. :cheers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Last edited by rx7locost on September 17, 2021, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 17, 2021, 10:31 am 

I'm not sure what happened but I zoomed in to see how bad the welds are and the screen on my phone cracked! :D

Grind em, paint them black, and they'll look top notch. Also, unless you're going to hood open shows or they leak, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody is going to see them and they aren't really a structural component.

Cars really coming along though, paint and interior look great.

PostPosted: September 17, 2021, 12:07 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
Steve,

I am on the MGEXP site to get support for my MGB motor in my Locost. They openly support motor changes realizing the old MGB motor & trans left something to be desired.

https://www.mgexp.com/

Thom

PostPosted: September 17, 2021, 12:41 pm 

Trochu wrote:
I'm not sure what happened but I zoomed in to see how bad the welds are and the screen on my phone cracked! :D

Grind em, paint them black, and they'll look top notch. Also, unless you're going to hood open shows or they leak, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody is going to see them and they aren't really a structural component.

Cars really coming along though, paint and interior look great.

That was a good laugh for today,LOL.

A Sanding disc right? does a nice job!

PostPosted: September 17, 2021, 12:48 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
cs3tcr wrote:
Steve,

I am on the MGEXP site to get support for my MGB motor in my Locost. They openly support motor changes realizing the old MGB motor & trans left something to be desired.

https://www.mgexp.com/

Thom

I'am on that. Probably going back to it, I left the other FB deal. I can only take reading "what oil does my car take" so many times, it's crazy. The reason this site is so great and actually quite scary are the shear number of bright people with common sense. To have that and see it is so refreshing. Is there a sign on the way in that says "No Morons"?, LOL.

PostPosted: September 17, 2021, 1:22 pm 

I'm a member on the MGExp as well (22 years now.... I didn't think I was that old), Skye was a customer of the shop that I worked at when he started the website. There are some good members there that post decent information, and then there are others that just want to stir up trouble. I try to avoid posting anything on it other than on the build thread I have going for this project (in the engine swap portion of the forum).

I find that LocostUSA, Locostbuilders.co.uk, and Grassroots Motorsports seem to have the most level headed members/contributors. Only occasionally does something kick off on GRM, and even then, most posters will just walk away from the heated discussions, and somewhat agree to disagree.

PostPosted: September 17, 2021, 1:57 pm 

I am on MGExp as well. I’m documenting my Miata motor and transmission upgrade and restoration of a ‘57 MGA there in the MGA forum. I have had nothing but great comments and seems well received.
Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: September 29, 2021, 2:41 pm 

Well, lightly grinding the welds and a lick of paint made the header look much better:

I'm still planning on building a new one at a later date, but this should work for now. I've also bled the clutch and found that the stock MGB master cylinder was too large in size, the pedal wasn't heavy but it did have limited throw before things locked up. A 5/8 girling type cylinder was installed, but it did require some spacers to move it back enough for the filler cap to come off:

The pedal travel is much better, and gives a much nicer feel. Fingers crossed it works properly once the car is running.

Next up was sorting out the speedo sensor location, I had thought about putting it on the nose of the diff to pick up the driveshaft bolts, but as the bolts aren't in a square arrangement, that was ruled out. Instead I opted to put up on the RH front corner in hopes of picking up the bolts that hold the brake disc in place. The hole was drilled:

The senor was installed. Unfortunately the bolts were too far away from the maximum adjustment of the sensor. So, the brake disc now has a threaded hole with 1/4" UNF bolt (with a locking nut) protruding out of the backside (inside the hub area) that allows the sensor some adjustment to get it to the right spot.

Other than that, the rear hubs have been swapped over to the faux "knock-off" hubs, the fronts had longer studs pressed in, and the spacers turned down to get the offset back to a reasonable spot:

Next up is finding someone local to install the windscreen and rear window. The GF and I spent a good portion of Saturday wrestling the windscreen seal and glass into place, but didn't/couldn't finish the job. I've decided to seek professional help, as I dont want to break the glass.

Rod

PostPosted: September 29, 2021, 4:47 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Soapy water, radiused paint stir sticks, twine around the groove in the rubber a few times around.
Set glass in place all around on top, start pulling twine to pull the lip over, insert lock strip.

I make it sound sooo easy, don't I? :ack:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 29, 2021, 5:23 pm 

Quote:
I make it sound sooo easy, don't I? :ack:

I wish it was that easy, unfortunately installing a GT windscreen seems to be the most difficult windscreen to install, other than the rear window on a Lotus Europa. The most difficult part so far is getting the seal to stay in place, it has to be installed on the body before the glass can go in, and it's larger than the opening. This is normal, but it's an absolute pain to work with. If I could get the seal to stay in place while wrestling the top corners, I'm sure the glass would be installed by now.

After the glass is in comes the even worse part, getting the trim in place. I'm tempted to enjoy the car for a few months before putting the trim on.

PostPosted: September 30, 2021, 6:22 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

To hold the seal against the body, use blue painters tape on the body that comes off easily.
To keep the twine in the groove, use a little vaseline in the seal channel.
You can also make a lip puller and lock strip inserter from 10-12ga high tensile fence wire and piece of wood for a handle. Drill the end of the handle (drill undersize and as deep as practical) to accept the wire ends. A 2x2x6 or dowel would work great. Saves the hands from cramps.

You can't push down much. It makes it difficult to pull the lip around. Just trying to hold the glass from slipping while you pull the lip.

The rubber needs to be warm too. A nice hot garage should help. Hair dryer warms a few inches ahead as you pull the string while holding the glass in place with the fab tool as a backup. Important question: How many arms do you have? :shock:

LxWxHt

PostPosted: October 5, 2021, 5:09 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

You know, because everybody (not JUST you) needs three or more hands sometimes?

LxWxHt

PostPosted: November 13, 2021, 9:21 am 

Looking good!!. If you get into a welding situation like that again you can flat top the welds without any loss of strength. Anything above flush doesn’t add strength. Then just go back and fill in your voids and sand disc them down. By the time your done it will be seamless.
Where did you get the little Dunlop stickers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next