LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 7:57 am 
We are Slotus!

BB69 wrote:
That engine was a total loss. I could see through it standing 10 feet away. It's been through more than it's fair share of engines. I have a fresh LS3 in the garage waiting to be installed. I also added a dry sump system to eliminate any oiling issues.
The DogAss Slotus is on engine #3, which I thought was a horrible statistic. What's your tally so far, Sir? I'm not gonna point and laugh, but I might feel better about that "3" if your total is, ohhh, a "6", ya know? :mrgreen:

I have read that some LS motors have oiling issues under hard cornering. The solution is a dry-sump system. I think even GM went to that on some Corvettes, didn't they? That is probably a very smart improvement on your part.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 8:34 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
BB69 wrote:
That engine was a total loss. I could see through it standing 10 feet away. It's been through more than it's fair share of engines. I have a fresh LS3 in the garage waiting to be installed. I also added a dry sump system to eliminate any oiling issues.
The DogAss Slotus is on engine #3, which I thought was a horrible statistic. What's your tally so far, Sir? I'm not gonna point and laugh, but I might feel better about that "3" if your total is, ohhh, a "6", ya know? :mrgreen:

I have read that some LS motors have oiling issues under hard cornering. The solution is a dry-sump system. I think even GM went to that on some Corvettes, didn't they? That is probably a very smart improvement on your part.

JDK

If my memory is correct, the LS3 sitting in the garage will be engine number 7.

5.3L junkyard engine - killed by boost
6.0L junkyard engine - killed by builder error when oil pick up o-ring was missed
6.0L rebuild - killed by boost when the wastegate lines melted
LS2 - the engine in the video with flames; cause undetermined
LSx - combination of different LS parts put together by my buddies - killed by builder error when oil lines installed incorrectly
LS3 - first with dry sump - killed by builder error when car was left outside during freezing weather and cracked
LS3 - waiting to go in.

The builder error ones are obviously the most painful. The o-ring issue happened when there were multiple people building the engine at the same time. We still don't know who missed it, but I compounded the issue by not having the oil pressure gauge installed when I fired the engine. Of course, I was in a hurry to make a track day. For the oil line mix up, I learned my lesson and had the pressure gauge working. However, the gauge was plumbed into the remote oil filter housing and the pressure was great there because the oil flow was being stopped by the filter. The gauge showed a rock solid 60 PSI. Finally, the car was left outside after catching on fire at the end of the season. It had antifreeze in it, but not enough it turns out. The fire was caused by me not putting the fuel cap on one of the fuel cells.

It reads like a comedy of errors, and it really is. I could go into all the background story, but I will simply say the main lesson learned is to realize that missing a deadline is better than losing an engine/car. Every time something went wrong, I was scrambling to get the car ready for a track day/session at the last minute.

I'm gonna go cry now.

Ken

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 5:47 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

When my turbo Honda K24 blew up on-track, to this day I don't know why. That not knowing still eats at me, forever asking the question: how do I know it won't happen again for the same reason?

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 7:59 pm 

KB58 wrote:
....how do I know it won't happen again for the same reason?

Channeling my inner Archie Bunker... "You're prefer that it would blow up for a different reason?"

(ducking and running for cover, knowing that my day is coming since my motor has already "blown" once before I bought it)

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 8:05 am 
We are Slotus!

BB69 wrote:
The builder error ones are obviously the most painful. -SNIP-

It reads like a comedy of errors, and it really is. -SNIP

I'm gonna go cry now.
Ken, believe me when I say I feel your pain. :BH: If it were possible to buy us a beer to cry into, I'd set us up... But, like the possum, we persevere, and have stories to tell. I've even managed to laugh about some of it. Sometimes... Rarely... A little bit... :mrgreen:

Hang in there, Brother! See ya at the track-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 11:19 am 

Ken,have you looked at the T56 swap ?

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 12:20 pm 

B85 wrote:
Ken,have you looked at the T56 swap ?

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean the adapter for the Muncie?

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 3:17 pm 

They use a LS 1 Camaro Bellhousing with a Mid-plate from the same LS 1 and a C5/C6 T56 and its differential.
Looks like this. And they use a center top shifter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 5:46 pm 

B85 wrote:
They use a LS 1 Camaro Bellhousing with a Mid-plate from the same LS 1 and a C5/C6 T56 and its differential.
Looks like this. And they use a center top shifter.

I've assumed this could work, but I've never seen it actually implemented. Who is the "they" in this case? Do they have a picture of a working shift linkage?

For me, this solution is actually more complex, longer, and heavier than what I have now. The only advantage is reverse, and I have proven I don't need reverse for the track. A lot of people would be interested in this though for street cars.

Ken

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 7:08 pm 

The "They" is more people using the corvette trans in the GTO's. Still trying to find the guy that used the Corvette Diff.

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 8:57 pm 

B85 wrote:
The "They" is more people using the corvette trans in the GTO's. Still trying to find the guy that used the Corvette Diff.

Using Google image search, I found the build thread on LS1Tech where that photo came from. The thread died in 2015 before he actually finished the project. His last post was about working on the shift mechanism. I've never been able to find a running vehicle with that configuration. If you find it, let me know.

Ken

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-trans ... tions.html

PostPosted: March 6, 2022, 3:56 pm 

Hi Ken.

What was the total length of the C5/6 diff with the 4L60E trans and a bellhousing for the LS ?

PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 12:40 pm 

B85 wrote:
Hi Ken.

What was the total length of the C5/6 diff with the 4L60E trans and a bellhousing for the LS ?

The overall length of the engine/tranaxle package is about 54". That is without any accessories on the front. The distance to the axle centerline is about 47".

PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 2:51 pm 

Thanks.

Ken do you think a C6 would be about the same ? Their is a C6 here for 4k ,no motor but everything is still on the car. Front end hit looks like all glass damage. Front cradel is undamaged.

Thanks for the input !

PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 4:54 pm 

Sounds like a bargain! Diff lengths are the same, but the C6 casting has more strengthening ribs and withstands a bit more abuse (the C7 has even more!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next