LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: wyked's 3-wheeler
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 9:17 am 

I'll have to play with some sort of heel stop and see what I can come up with.

robbovius wrote:
Plus I'd expect that long cantilever to vibrate and flex a bunch, over time weakening the joint...

I purposely used the same 1.5" .125 wall DOM tubing as the roll bars to make it as stiff as possible hanging out there so it wouldn't bounce. My drive yesterday included my gopro facing backwards to watch for vibration and the taillight assembly never moves. I was mainly watching for the muffler as my old setup allowed the mufflers to bounce quite a bit. The new exhaust is rock steady as well. I'll play around with ideas for cleaning up the aesthetics but honestly after 11 months off the road I'm just going to drive for awhile :D

PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 9:22 am 

wyked wrote:
... I'm just going to drive for awhile :D

Lolz, yeah I hear that...

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 9:32 am 

I noticed a difference between the initial Enhanced Inspection and the normal yearly inspection. You could try putting the lights back where you had them and see if it passes next time.

PostPosted: August 22, 2015, 1:55 pm 

Hi Wyked,

Couldn't get to sleep last night (Beginning design stages for my own RT (Build thread in this forum: "47yr old dream"), and I have become obsessed), and read your thread from the beginning to the end, spending hours reading and looking over your images and videos.

What an inspiration!!!! GREAT build thread (I learn so much from photos)!!! from your designing to fabrication to registration (VIN # Catch 22), to first drive and fine tuning to switching to a water cooled ICE... I loved it ALL!

I've subscribed to your thread and eagerly await any updates.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing! You have reached out and "touched me"! (And helped me tremendously!)

Best Regards,
Richard

"To design a flying machine is nothing... To build it, little...
To make it fly, is everything!"

-Igor Sikorsky

PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 7:53 pm 

Thanks Richard, I'm glad my build log has been helpful. Plenty of examples of what not to do :D

I don't get on here as much as I'd like, too much to read and no time. But you've inspired me to post a few more pictures and an update.

Run87k wrote:
I noticed a difference between the initial Enhanced Inspection and the normal yearly inspection. You could try putting the lights back where you had them and see if it passes next time.

I've thought of that but I'm too paranoid that I'll find some cop that wants to bust my stones. As I've said, it doesn't bother me when I'm driving so I try not to pay attention to it when I'm not.

I haven't put as many miles as I'd like but still making small improvements whenever I can get out in the garage at night, and driving it when I can. I made a cover for the section just ahead of the gauge cluster, makes it look a little more finished not having those wires exposed. I'd like to make another cover for just forward of that to cover the rest of the wires that are exposed. Still chewing on the design for that, may need to learn some more metal forming techniques to get whats in my head into reality. Still debating on covering some or all of the nose. I like the open feel so I may just make a small nose cone of sorts for the very front.

I got tired of the gaffer tape job on the foam seat after taking it to work and having a lot of the adhesive start to come up after baking in the sun. So I decided to dust off the sewing merit badge and make a fitted cover for the seat. Not perfect but it cleans up the look a bit.

I'm working on a template for a perforated metal cover for the engine, again semi-hiding some of the wiring and making it look more finished. I'm going with perforated metal to still allow the airflow from the side pods/radiators to escape from that big open area.

I'm finding the aftermarket muffler to be a little too loud. Now, I had the exact same muffler on my VFR back in my riding days so I've decided to try repacking the muffler first before determining I'm getting older and enjoying that straight pipe sound less. Worst case if the repacking doesn't reign it in, I'll try and find a used OEM muffler to make it more enjoyable to drive.

Speaking of driving, the only driving issue is my old nemesis, chain tension on the primary chain. My initial temporary fix started to fail so I'm working on a more beefy solution, which consists mainly of re-purposing the old skateboard wheel mount from the old engine. Thats still in process so we'll see how that works out. If I can stabilize that, I should be at a point where I can just drive and enjoy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 7:45 pm 

Well, I think I've finally sorted out all the nagging issues and can finally just enjoy driving (and work on body panels as I see fit).

I broke down and bought a spring loaded motorcycle chain tensioner from http://www.monstercraftsman.com getting the positioning just right with my limited space was fun but it is all setup and works really well. The sprockets are really close to each other so I'm not sure what the life expectancy of the short chain will be but I finally don't need to take it easy accelerating.

Naturally, as soon as I sorted out the chain tension another issue had to jump up. I started finding small pools of coolant under the left side after I parked it. I checked all the fittings a few times and couldn't find anything obvious, I replaced hose clamps and even one of the short sections of hose only to have it continue. I had been running the Goldwing radiator cap since it was the same pressure rating as the CBR but as it turns out the cap was sticking closed. I guess the left side is the weakest link when it comes to over pressurizing. I swapped back to the CBR cap and all is well again.

So with ~300 miles on this engine setup, as far as I know all of the little issues are sorted (for now). I'm debating stripping it down to powder coat the frame over the winter or take the winter off and continue to run the rat rod look for awhile longer. I took my first carefree drive today and proceeded to get stuck behind a 15mph hay-ride of all things :BH:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 14, 2015, 2:49 am 

wyked, i've followed your build closely over the past 6-8 months. i'm particularly interested in your paddle shifters. i need to address that w my build (australian tri pod cars hybrid)

i had a really bad motorcycle crash feb 1,14 leaving me with a throttle hand/wrist that is permenantly damaged. (just had surgery #8 last tues)

somewhere i had noted the pages of your build log that addresssed the shifter, but it's misplaced...can you point me in the right direction?

thanks.

PostPosted: October 18, 2015, 10:02 pm 

skifffz1to3 - page 8 is where I installed the shifter but there is not much detail. Below is a picture of the collar the actual paddle is mounted/pivoting on. It operates a push/pull cable that actuates the shifter on the engine (seen in the picture just above your post). If you have more questions let me know and I can give you more details/pictures.

PostPosted: December 6, 2015, 11:21 am 

G'day been looking at your build with great interest great build, quick question if you don't mind? with the paddle shifter dose it rotate with the steering wheel or is it fixed in position so to speak?

Cheers Clive

PostPosted: December 13, 2015, 11:39 pm 

Clive, the paddle stays stationary. It's not easy to make out in the pictures, but the collar the paddle pivots on is clamped on the upper frame support for the steering shaft. Hope this helps, any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

PostPosted: December 14, 2015, 12:17 am 

Thanks, and yes that helps alot, much appreciated

Cheers Clive

PostPosted: March 9, 2016, 9:01 pm 

Well, in honor of the first commute of the year in the trike (sorry for the hijack robbovius) I'll update this log with what has been going on.

First, the coolant issue I thought I solved with a new radiator cap continued to haunt me through the fall and winter. I pulled the radiators since thats where the leaks seemed to be and found the nipples were out of round. Okay, makes some sense, so I took them to a great radiator shop (which seems to be a dying breed http://www.gtradiator.com) who straightened them out, and even straightened the fins, pressure checked them and repainted them all for a reasonable cost. Reinstalled them and it still leaked. This time I really paid attention to the leaks instead of coming back out an hour later to puddles. Turns out the 7/8" ID coolant hose I used was bad. See the picture below, it was leaking out through the threads. I checked the other places I used it and sure enough it was seeping there as well, just not bad enough to leave a puddle. The 1" ID tubing from the same manufacturer was fine as were the preformed reducing elbows. I guess I got a bad batch. Bought some new rubber hose and the problem is fixed.

Also over the winter I pulled the gas tank to be able to send the fuel sender and fuel gauge out to Autometer for re-calibration. Through a comedy of circumstances I ended up with a combination of sender and gauge that would go from full to about 1/4 full in the first gallon of gas. The remaining 6 gallons were between 1/4 and E. Not very handy. After the re-calibration it still isn't perfectly linear but full is full, 1/2 is 1/2 and its pretty close to E with ~2 gallons left. I can work with that.

I talked to a tech inspector with my local SCCA chapter in an attempt to enter the 3-wheeler in the local hillclimbs (Pagoda and Duryea). I thought it would be fun to enter but SCCA requires 4-wheels. Not that I'm surprised, I didn't build it with that purpose in mind. I still would like to do a track day with it to push beyond what I can safely do on the streets. Time will tell.

So today I had my first commute of the year which was also the first drive where I wasn't worried about either coolant or fuel. I also passed 1500 miles on the chassis and 400 miles on the newer engine. Hopefully I'll be able to rack up some more miles this year than previous years. So far so good. Frame still needs powder coat and after my drive this morning in 40ish degree temperatures I'm thinking some bodywork on the nose might be in order after all. All in due time. As I was leaving work I found a F350 parked next to me. I thought it was good for some size perspective (below)...

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 9:01 am 

Wyked, no worries about the Thread Hijack, was kewl to see a couple other forum member's machines out for a commute ;-)

Yes on adding a nosecone, having my lower body covered in the B-3 makes driving down into the 30's a reasonable experience, without resorting to the heated jacket liner.

question about your steering wheel QD...

on the B-3 I'm using a Speedway motors splined unit, but the tolerances between the QD body and the spline end on the steering shaft are pretty big, and my steering wheel rattles like crazy between 2000-2750 (solidly mounted 120 deg triple, shakes quite a lot) I'm thinking of ditching the Speedway part, for something tighter. what brand is your, $$, tightness, etc?

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 9:21 am 

Robb,
when I sourced mine, I talked to the Speedway rep, and that was what he told me was going to happen. He suggested, and I bought, the Sweet Mfg. units, which they carry.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sweet-Mfg ... ,6843.html
Sweet advice. :wink:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 10, 2016, 9:53 am 

QRA-1 from Woodward Steering
http://www.woodwardsteering.com/PDF/4.% ... leases.pdf
I've never felt any vibration from it, it's a good tight fit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next