LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: The Gecko Project
PostPosted: December 30, 2017, 12:11 am 

TRX wrote:
OzGecko wrote:

How are you planning to handle fuel fill and feed with two tanks?

Only just saw this question now so apologies for delayed reply.

Here's another photo of the tanks showing the two inner ends:
The flash photo and camera phone combo makes the welding look a LOT lumpier than it is in real life :shock:

The tanks will be cross-linked by a pair of lines at the bottom, the rear-most of which will have a tee-piece in the middle as the fuel take off point. They'll also be linked by another line at the top (the larger of the two top ports) for air balance. The remaining two small ports at the top are for the vapour line that goes to charcoal canister. Pressure release line (goes to filler neck) is next to the filler port.

It remains to be seen if the fuel flow through the two cross tubes will be sufficient but given total capacity of about 40 litres (a bit over 10 US gallons or a bit under 9 real gallons) it shouldn't be a problem.

Dominic

PostPosted: December 30, 2017, 8:12 am 

The later Sunbeam Alpines/Tigers used a similar setup, the main functional difference being the cross tube. Rootes used a single cross tube, about 1 1/2" diameter. I think they used a large tube to facilitate quick fill ups. The down side of a large equalization tube: when low on fuel on long turns, you can run out of fuel at the pick up point. But a swirl pot should solve that problem.

Bill

PostPosted: December 30, 2017, 10:23 am 

The intent is to have the fuel feed to the pump from a tee junction in the rear most balance line. Hopefully, flow either way will still keep the feed line full. The pump will actually be slightly lower than the feed line and only about 6" of line away.

Time will tell I suppose :)

PostPosted: December 31, 2017, 9:02 am 

OzGecko wrote:
The intent is to have the fuel feed to the pump from a tee junction in the rear most balance line. Hopefully, flow either way will still keep the feed line full. The pump will actually be slightly lower than the feed line and only about 6" of line away.

Time will tell I suppose :)

Yeah, that's exactly how my Alpine is setup. The problem is that the large crossover tube moves a lot of fuel very quickly. And I'm running the fuel return (EFI) to the right hand tank. So on a long left hand curve(cloverleafs are BAD) with a gallon or so of fuel in each tank, all the fuel ends up in the right hand tank. Cough cough sputter. Your smaller crossover line will go a long way toward living with the problem. My solution is start looking for a gas station after the fuel gage hits 1/2. Which is probably closer to 1/3. That means a fillup at about 250-275 miles. Easy for me to live with solution as my butt is usually screaming for relief by that time.

Bill

PostPosted: December 31, 2017, 10:01 am 

If the fittings attaching the cross over hoses, has enough material, you can drill the inboard center section out and then install a small ball bearing that will seat against the drilled chamfer. You just need to put a roll pin in the end the drilled well to retain the ball bearing. During hard corner there should be enough force against the ball bearing to prevent most of the gas from transferring to the tank on the other side. It's is basically a check valve, but without the internal spring to keep it sealed all the time. Dave W

PostPosted: January 11, 2020, 6:33 am 

So, last update August 2017!

I'm not dead :D Life has been.... interesting ... since then :shock:

No big update for tonight but I will just drop a few teaser pics here to provoke comment

See you all again in a while - not 2.5 years, I promise.

D

PostPosted: January 12, 2020, 10:48 am 

Great to hear from you! I'm interested to see how you handle building the frame for the windshield.

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: April 12, 2020, 7:16 pm 

Hey Dom,

I am finding all sorts of treasures in the old posts during the Covid 19 lockdown, and yours is one of them! Some great contributions in this thread.

Q) Can you cast your mind away back to the time of the ADR tests, how much deflection was permissible for the beaming test?

As it's been said in the thread - you are 90% there - only 90% left to go!

All the best,

Marcus.

PostPosted: November 29, 2020, 3:20 am 

Hi Marcus,

Sorry I didn't see your query until now - 2020 has been quite the whirlwind hasn't it :shock: :shock:

I couldn't remember what the allowable limit was for the beaming test - I can see from the test report that my car had a maximum of 0.3mm (yep, 0.012"!) which was a pass :D

I just went for a deep dive back through (very, very) old documents and found a standards guide from 1992 that said maximum 1.25mm (0.050"). I have no reason to think that's any different to current standards.

Hope this is helpful,

Dominic

PostPosted: November 29, 2020, 3:51 pm 

Thanks Dominic, that is good info - thanks for digging through the archives!

Has the virus allowed for any progress on your project or hampered it?

:cheers:

Marcus.

PostPosted: November 29, 2020, 4:26 pm 

Saw the revival of this post and thought I would comment on the fuel system at the fuel tanks.
A large tube (1.25" to 1.5") between the tanks allows a quick even fill. The trick is to extent the tube thru each tank almost to the other side! Then there will be minimal slosh/transfer of fuel when cornering. In the SkaytR6, I put a baffle in one of the tanks with a similar tube thru the baffle to contain the fuel to a smaller area. Fuel line to the pump was from this smaller area.
The "T" as shown between the tanks will allow air to be drawn by the pump when cornering under moderately low fuel conditions. Easier to suck air than fuel.
My $0.50 (devaluation of the $ :( )

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15