LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 1, 2024, 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 8:37 am 

Heres a cheap tip for ya, overdrill the hole size in the struts and the uprights by 2 mm larger and tilt your struts in at the top towards the chassis more. This will give you more camber gain and/or you can have more static negative camber easier (just loosen the bolts and kick the top of the wheel in and pull the bottom out equally) and will make your top 'ear' mounts not stick so far out. Oh and you can fit larger tyres too as the spring platform moves away from the tyre.

I think I saw "niell" on a post office wall recently.... :shock:

PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 8:52 am 

Thanks for the tip cr, I was going to take the die grinder and slot out the top holes to accomplish the same thing.
The post office ,americas most wanted, its the type of face that haunts you isnt it?

PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 6:10 pm 

Slack day today ,at least as far as the car went. Helped a buddy move some of his stuff around from the paint shop.
Now to you guys that say your shop gets a little nippy check this out.
Yes I have a shop but because the one car is in it there is not room for the donor chevette to go in, so we work outside.
Attachment:
1.jpg

You get a lot more efficient with gloves on when the temps get extreme.
Attachment:
2.jpg

Attachment:
3.jpg

Paid 150$ for the chevette and got my parts . I never even removed it from the trailer. Took it straight to the shredder and got 70$ for it. Net cost of 80$ for the parts that I wanted.
The only stuff that I wanted was the spindles with the hubs and brakes,the steering rack and the sway bar.
Attachment:
4.jpg

Had a brand new hammer and it broke with one swing at the tie rod bosses. You should have seen me hitting the little chevette with the 12lb sledge hammer.
I now have the rest of the week to work on the front suspension. The rear stuff wont be finished until the parts arrive;maybe tuesday?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 12:33 am 

egoman wrote:
Thanks for the tip cr, I was going to take the die grinder and slot out the top holes to accomplish the same thing.
The post office ,americas most wanted, its the type of face that haunts you isnt it?

Be careful if you do the top only that you don't get CV bind as you shorten the distance to the gearbox.

Have you checked if theres a reward?

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 1:14 am 

Actually if you maintain the same camber and just move the top of the struts over the length of the cv shafts wont change. I have allways kept track of the plunge depth to avoid bottoming out.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 6:33 pm 

I spent some money today and took a bunch of measurements.Also cleaned up the extra junk on the chevette spindles.
The chevette rack was slightly disassembled in order to measure the c/c of the rack ends.
Attachment:
1.jpg

These 4 ball joints cost me twice as much as the chevette.
Attachment:
2.jpg

I found a ball joint to fit in the bottom of the chevette spindle and it is a bolt up style,which is easier to deal with when fabbing your own arms.
Attachment:
3.jpg

Just a few measurements.
This is 9 inches from center to center.
Attachment:
4.jpg

The steering arm is 5 1/2 from the center of the spindle.
Attachment:
5.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 6:37 pm 

This picture shows that it is 5 1/2 inches from the top balljoint to the center of the spindle.
Attachment:
6.jpg

These spindles can definitely be trimmed up to both strengthen them and to lose a little weight.
Attachment:
7.jpg

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 7:11 pm 

Quote:
These 4 ball joints cost me twice as much as the chevette.

OUCH! Did you try Rockauto.com for the BJ's? I know that having a local supplier there to search through parts that will work for the lower BJs is a good thing. I don't want to cheat anybody out of their well deserved money. They did provide a good service for you. But RA has one brand of the Chevette ball joints for less than $9 each. Even if you bought the upper BJs from RA and bought the lowers from your local source, that would be $18 + shipping to RA leaving a good savings for the lowers

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 8:18 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

What is the part number of the bolt-in lower joint?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 9:41 am 

The part # will be posted after I make sure they work as intended. Todays project is to start layout of the front suspension components. I did one drawing but the scale was too hard to pick up some of the measurements off of. I am limited by having no drafting table handy. The wife didnt see any use for one and it ended up in the burning barrel many years ago. I am going to redraw what I did yesterday but in triple scale and only half of the car.

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 10:05 am 

This is the first crude drawing that I attempted to scan(also a first for me).
Attachment:
1.jpg

This is a scaleable drawing but until I enlarge it the accuracy is not there.

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 11:20 am 

This is the second drawing and the accuracy is about where I need it.
Attachment:
2.jpg

The thing that is bothering me the most is the offset of the steering arm.
I come from the world of dirt racing and we get rid of ackerman . In this case we would heat and bend the steering arm until the pivot for the steering was in the same plane as the ball joint intersection angle. I have read differing opinions on this and the choice that I make affects the construction of the car.The main result of this change is that ity would affect the length of my control arms and their attachment points. If you look I have intersected my inner pivots and my rack pivot. I feel that this is only ideal if I move the arm on the spindle to where I was talking about. If I dont move the arm on the spindle then I feel that I should move the steering pivot in and maintain a prallellogram. Any opinions?You will also notice that I have 2 options for the arm lengths by using a longer bottom with a shorter top or vie versa.

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 11:37 am 

A quick read of the bumpsteer guide by long acre would lead me to believe that this feature of the chevette spindles is a design flaw. As such it isnt too hard for me to redo the spindles and design this out.

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 2:24 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Regarding the bumpsteer, use your string computer at the extremes of travel to plot the spindle, then make an arc from the spindle at each extreme that intersect.

I'm sure you'll check bumpsteer before final welding up the rack mounts anyway.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 3:18 pm 

I am allready planning to mount the rack slightly low so there is room for shimming to achieve acceptable levels of bump steer.I will also use a trick from my dirt days to speed up the steering with the chevette rack. I will cut off the outer tie boss and mount it inboard as well as shorten the steering arms to quicken steering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next