LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: sprite into locost
PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 12:14 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
I spent a number of years believing the fold-up jack on my MGB would collapse when I tried to use it.
Ha! Yeah, know what you mean. The factory "fold up" jack on my MGB did fail, but it didn't collapse, just the opposite. With one side of the car up in the air in my driveway, it stripped the gears somehow and wouldn't go up or down. I called a buddy, who took me to K-Mart where I bought a scissors jack and ran back home to release the poor MG.

That was in WV in 1977 or early 78. The MG was a '71, so that jack was about 7 years old when it died. I still have the K-Mart special, and it still works. That was so many years ago that 1) There were still K-Marts roaming the earth and 2) I actually believe the jack was made in the USA.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 1:38 pm 

Quote:
The MG was a '71, so that jack was about 7 years old

I'm surprised the rocker panel didn't fold up when you used the stock jacking points. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the BMC/BL dealers recommended not using them if the car was over a certain age.

Back on topic, the boot hold downs look like something you could fabricate yourself. Model A hoot latches operate somewhat in the same fashion, and doing some google searching Ferrari used something similar. The cup that affixes to the panel would be the harder part to fabricate, though I'm sure you could fabricate some dies and stamp them yourself. The the finger pull portion is just a bent rod with a finger pull welded to it, the base of the rod would have a spring attached to it, something along the lines of this: http://reoriginals.com/hoodlatchkitvintagestylewithringthatyoulift-b0244.aspx

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 4:53 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:

I was thinking "why not just buy some of those" until I noticed the price!

PostPosted: November 10, 2018, 2:22 am 

Alfa Giuliettas had the same jack. Worked great until the jack points rusted off. However they would hit the body when extended far enough to get a wheel of the ground if you weren't careful.

PostPosted: November 10, 2018, 9:46 am 

Here I was so happy that my BGT came with this jack. Now I am thinking I should rethink that. I have lotsa time before I need to cross that bridge.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 10, 2018, 7:25 pm 

Thanks cs3tcr thats exactly what I need and I probably could have found the guy making them had I another week to spend in Padova. Although they still would have been too expensive.

PostPosted: November 11, 2018, 8:36 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

You might consider stainless jeep hood latches for a similar antique but rust-free look:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Hood-Latch-Assem ... 289&chn=ps

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 11, 2018, 2:18 pm 

I looked at those but they seem designed to hold two panels at right angle to each other. I think making a Ferrari type won't be to difficult just another side step.

PostPosted: November 12, 2018, 7:50 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
Here I was so happy that my BGT came with this jack. Now I am thinking I should rethink that. I have lotsa time before I need to cross that bridge.
Got an old red scissors jack that I could make ya a real deal on, Chuck. Came from K-Mart... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 5:37 pm 

Still alive here. After spending most of '18 trying to weld aluminum I finally gave up and went back to panel forming. I have a friend who will weld the panels so maybe I can pick it up watching him.

I have gotten a lot better at forming panels and finished the rear fenders today. They aren't marked for trimming yet but this is how they look.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 7:36 pm 

:thmbsup: Looking good.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 8:15 am 

Looking great :thmbsup:

I wish I had the room and the years left to learn how to do metal forming like that.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 12, 2020, 4:37 pm 

Hmmm? I seem to be missing a year. Not that I have been unbusy, just busy with other things. As has often happened with friends in the later stages of life someone around here had a brain storm and decided that we needed to downsize. It was explained to me that if we sold the old pile (five buildings on an acre and a 1/4 that i would have more time to work on my car. This sounded good, no lawn etc. so I didn't ACTIVELY resist. So off SWMBO went looking for a new place. She found this place (small lot, two bed rooms, only 20 years old) almost right away. It looked pretty good except there was NO SHOP. What to do? Of course we (you) can build one on that vacant lot down the block with the remains from the house swap.

Resistance was futile. I broke ground on the shop/ apartment in March. Just in time for the covid. And have only 90% left to finish. It has been one hell of a year. At least i'm still healthy.

All this leads me to my question: Because I have not posted for so long and am practically starting over and all the photos have disappeared should I start a new thread ? I have thought (briefly) about editing my posts to add the fotos back in but that sounds like way too much work. If I start a new thread I would put the fotos in at various decision points in a short review. Too boring?

PostPosted: December 13, 2020, 11:56 am 

I just randomly went to pages in your log starting at page 1. All the photos/graphics seem to be there up to about page 29 of your 33. I think I'd just keep on posting here, and add the missing ones back over time.

Good luck with the shop.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 13, 2020, 12:54 pm 

I agree with Lonnie. I went through your thread awhile back and when I got to the spot where the photos disappeared, I stopped. I think if you fill the old ones in where you can and keep posting here it helps tell the whole story that folks can use.
Regards,
Eric

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next