LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: February 3, 2015, 4:45 pm 

After a high number of phone calls, I found someone who was helpful!
Tarrant Regional Auto-crimes Task Force inspects once a month (2nd Thursday). This is where they'll inspect my engine numbers, Bill of Sale, etc, to see if they were reported stolen, and will then assign a VIN number for me. So, I've got until the 12th to button up a few loose ends and get my car over there.
It does seem as though this needs to be done before the ASE inspection step.

PostPosted: February 12, 2015, 6:54 pm 

Here's an update after this morning's efforts:

From Tired2's list
Step 2: I don't think you can skip this even if you have an MCO. Texas will not allow a home-built frame (Texas transportation code 217.3.a.6). DO NOT say the frame was home-built! This statement cost me an hour of trying to back-track.
I had to state that my design company built the frame (technically true, but it was still done at home). You can get around this by having a bill of sale for the frame, even if that frame was built at someone's home. Recommend having a friend help you here.
Step 3 & 4 are interchangeable. I had Auto Theft do their bit first (free), then went to Christian Brothers to have them fill out the VTR-64 form with their ASE tech. They didn't even charge me for the inspection, but asked that I come back for the safety inspection later, which they could charge for! A different shop wanted $450 to do the inspection.
Step 5: doing this tonight at a Pilot truck stop. This step can be done anytime, but must be done before Step 9. Pilot's fee for this is $10.50
Step 6: This was a royal pain, since I didn't initially have a bill of sale for the frame. That was the only real hold-up here.
Step 7: I thought insurance would be easy, but wow, what a pain. Still fighting through that. If Hagerty can come through quickly, I'll get it state inspected tomorrow, then go get it registered.
Step 8: Waiting on insurance, but it looks like emissions won't be an issue, since it's being registered as a 2015 Assembled vehicle, 1957 Lotus replica. If this wasn't a replica, it would have to comply with all 2015 safety and emission requirements. Christian Brothers didn't seem to care about the emissions bit anyway.
Step 9: No info yet on how smooth this will go.

I think once I'm done, I'll scan all the forms and let everybody know where I went to get each one done. This process blows, and I hope I can make it easier on the next guy by removing the mystery from it. If you knew where to go and what to say, it'd be a whole lot easier.

PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 11:06 am 

Thanks for the updates, I updated my previous post to let everyone know to read through.

I really wish we had a good wiki for this hobby, it is really the format we need for such lists and various other things. I'm not active enough in this community yet to complain though :P

Keep us updated on the progress, it sounds like you are very close.

I'm very interested in what insurance will cost as well.

Post subject: insurance
PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 12:37 pm 

Insurance for a lotus replica, valued at 10k would've been $75 a year. However, they felt that my 300 HP exceeded the replica guidelines, and bumped it to $190 a year.

This is for a garage-kept car for unlimited car show use, and occasional trips to work, through Hagerty. This is my second vehicle through Hagerty, so a single car might cost a bit more.

Insurance is finalized. Hopefully, I can leave work early enough to try to make this thing legal!

PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 2:21 pm 

Excellent, thanks!

Do you have a build thread or pics? (Not to divert this thread, just want to check it out).

That insurance cost seems reasonable, I was worried it would be more like $50/month. My donor car prior to taking it off my insurance added over $250/yr to my progressive policy.

PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 3:16 pm 

Yeah...I need to update it!
viewtopic.php?t=14087

PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 11:10 pm 

It's legal!
Man, it is crazy fun to drive. Cooling fan isn't working, so I had to bring it back home.

PostPosted: February 14, 2015, 12:06 pm 

Congratulations!
:zoom:

Now wipe that big grin off your face. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 14, 2015, 6:17 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Rocketman Texas WILL allow a homebuilt frame.

I recently talked to them about it and the Goblin Cobalt powered middie just got theirs approved with a home built frame.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 14, 2015, 8:23 pm 

My experience would differ. I was explicitly told no, and was shown the rule in the transportation code.
For any other guys, I highly recommend a bill of sale for the frame just to save a hassle.

PostPosted: February 14, 2015, 11:38 pm 
Toyotaphobe

What can I say? This homebuilt chassis was just registered last week. I talked with the builder today and we discussed your post on not allowing homebuilts.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17110

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 9:49 am 

rocktman,

Can you confirm if you are in an emissions county or not?

As my build is not planned to be as a 'replica', I am not in emissions county, so I don't think I have to adhere to the 2015 assembled date emissions requirements. I won't even have ODB-II, so I hope that is not the case.

Congrats, I'll get you to your build thread when I get a chance.

PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 11:13 am 

Yes, I'm in an emissions county. My engine is a '91 Miata turbo, non obdii
They did not require emission testing on this. Safety inspection was $14.50.

Cost at title office was approx $98.

PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 1:28 pm 

Thanks, if you ever show it around Austin / Buda let me know :)

PostPosted: July 20, 2016, 1:31 pm 

Has anyone been successful in getting a home built chassis or kit chassis registered recently and what were your experiences? andrewt, carguy123, rocktman? Did the procedure that Tired2 described work out? Where are the 5 Waiver Stations located?

I am considering starting a build in 2017 (most likely a Brunton), after I get my garage cleaned out.

I tried posting this question a week ago and got some message about my post having to be approved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next