LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 6:27 am 

I am considering buying an unfinished Locost that has no title except the donor and titling and registering it in NY. Does anyone know the ins and outs and pitfalls? I’ve read the thread here about licensing in NY and have the SEMA writeup. From what I can tell it may not be possible. Has anyone done it?
Thank you,
Eric

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 7:12 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It is not a vehicle yet. You'd be buying raw material and car parts to be titled in your location, but a bill of sale is always a good idea. Look at your state code requirements which change.

We have people on here that have built in NY but rules change.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 9:24 am 

My suggestion is start building your relationship with your DMV office now. It will take between 3 and 10 phone calls depending on the level of competence with the person on the other end. I'm not kidding, it is a process, or it is in South Carolina. I have a hard time imagining New York making it easier.

Get the donor titled in your name if possible.
Get a bill of sale.
Keep receipts for all major components.
Your build log / photos may be needed at pre-inspection and final inspection stages.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 10:40 am 

Did you read this thread? (see the forms on page 3)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9452

What makes you think it cannot be registered? Will you not get the required documentation from the builder?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 7:15 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
It is not a vehicle yet. You'd be buying raw material and car parts to be titled in your location, but a bill of sale is always a good idea. Look at your state code requirements which change.

We have people on here that have built in NY but rules change.

MiataV8,
Thank you, that is a good way to look at it. I have a copy of the rules for NY and have read them twice now, but nothing specific for this case. I’m going to contact the local DMV and see if I get more than a blank stare (which I expect).
Regards,
Eric

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 7:23 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
My suggestion is start building your relationship with your DMV office now. It will take between 3 and 10 phone calls depending on the level of competence with the person on the other end. I'm not kidding, it is a process, or it is in South Carolina. I have a hard time imagining New York making it easier.

Get the donor titled in your name if possible.
Get a bill of sale.
Keep receipts for all major components.
Your build log / photos may be needed at pre-inspection and final inspection stages.

TooBusy,
Excellent advice, I know you’ve been through several. I’m sure NY will find new ways to make the process more complex than SC. The write-ups NY provides that I obtained via the state by state SEMA source, are a bit vague. They seem more focused on antique/historic vehicles.

The title for the donor the seller says he can do.
I’m sure I can get a bill of sale.
He says he has lots of receipts he can provide.
The biggest problem on the last one (at least the way I’m looking at it) right now it is more car than parts, so the build log might be short. I have to think of how I will handle this part.

Thank you very much,
Eric

Last edited by ohmite on February 8, 2020, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 7:32 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Did you read this thread? (see the forms on page 3)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9452

What makes you think it cannot be registered? Will you not get the required documentation from the builder?

Chuck,
Yes I did go through that post, it is about 5 years old and seems to be before the state adopted the rules pushed by SEMA. I have the new ones.

I should be able to get all the seller’s documentation, no build log though. The thing that got me second guessing the situation is in the interest of full disclosure he said he had a NY based person interested, but backed away when they checked into the title/registration process. This got me wanting to do some more research before I got his hopes up too high or I plunked money down. So I’m hoping someone on this board was that person and speaks up, or someone has already been in this situation and knows the ropes. I can’t believe I’m the first, but maybe it’s a unique situation, so I might be. At least with the NY Locost builders.

I plan to start talking to he DMV.

Thanks for your help,
Eric

PostPosted: January 28, 2021, 6:25 pm 

Well - it looks like I revived a dead thread. Sorry :). I'll leave this here for anyone else who needs it.

I'm building one right now in NY that I started 10 years ago.

As mentioned above, you have a pile of parts. You will need to provide receipts for major parts and ensure it has a minimum of parts/functions - like wipers, windshield, defroster, etc.

NYS DMV is also not happy with dot stamped lights. They must be marked with their specific designation. For instance, dot/sae e2 for front turn signals.

You should order a packet from the dmv to see the requirements.

PostPosted: January 28, 2021, 8:20 pm 

Hi gto7419,
No problem. I ordered my packet from NYS before they shut the offices down for Covid19 last year. It is comprehensive and I know what I need to do. I’ve been working on my ‘57 MGA restoration in earnest so the Rx7/Locost hasn’t gotten much love. I have had the engine running and fixed the cooling problems, I need to weld in the new radiator mount. There is still lots to do, I need to re-wire most of it, as I’m not happy with how it is right now. And add the heater. The wiper boxes are installed but not hooked up. Many of the lights will need to be replaced given the NYS requirements. It is very likely I will be autocrossing it this year if events start again. Not sure if I’ll get it to the point of actually putting it on the road (the MGA has to come first) this year though.

Couple of questions for you:
How are you handling the bumper requirement?
Where are you located? I’m north of Buffalo in Wilson.
Did you own a GTO (given your online name)? I had a ‘64 back in college (‘77) a long time ago, totaled it when a bridge washed out on me.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by ohmite on January 29, 2021, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 28, 2021, 8:59 pm 

Picture of the car if you are interested.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 29, 2021, 11:38 am 

That color looks great on the car. And I really like the classic look of clamshells!

PostPosted: January 30, 2021, 8:47 am 

Thanks Bill,
At first I wasn’t sure about the color, now it’s growing on me :). I like the classic look as well.
Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: January 30, 2021, 10:44 am 

Hey Eric,

Car looks great! Let me know where you source lights from - thats become a challenge as the dmv specified to me that all markings need to be on the lens.
I have had a roller for 10 years. Just brought it back into my classroom (shop teacher) and we tore it all down to clean it up. I also purchased an r1 to replace the r6 motor it had in it. I thought about the bumpers and I will be adding a bolt in bumper that is simply a 1" tube with bends at the end. I'll do that at both sides. The one on the rear will come up from the bottom - kind of like a brush bar. Removable if I need. In my head the one on the back looks good - not so much the one on the front.

Im in Melville - Long Island.

I did not own a gto - I loved them as a kid and ended up using the name as a login for a few sites. I ended up with corvettes instead :) . I am on my 2nd vette now - a 2000 convertible 6 speed.