LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29, 2022, 10:51 am 

So last night one of the members of my local car club gave a presentation at our monthly meeting on his role as a Missouri Highway Patrol Inspection Officer. It was a very interesting presentation. Mostly on inspection of classic cars and title issues. He specifically stayed away from any Department of Revenue specific items as directed by his commanding officer. One item he brought up that was applicable to our hobby, was form SHP-498 - JUNK, SALVAGE, OR REBUILDING AFFIDAVIT. For those that want to sell their cars, this is an document both buyer and seller sign in front of a Notary. Seller keeps a copy for his records and protects him in the future from any retribution from the buyer (or buyer's family) if something goes wrong with the car. It does not need to be submitted to the state, so the buyer won't get a salvage title or rebuilt title. All it does is protect the seller. Its the responsibility of the buyer to get safety inspection completed to ensure the car is safe for operation.

Since I am the only one with a replica or interested in specially constructed vehicle process, I also asked him a few questions after the meeting was over on. He immediately recognized me from when I had my car inspected, although I wasn't a member of the club yet so I didn't know him at the time. He clarified that in Missouri, his interpretation and as directed by his commanding officer, for Replica and specially constructed vehicles, I am considered the manufacturer and as such, I dictate what the car is required to have. If I don't think the car should have turn signals, then they won't inspect turn signals as they are not present. If I don't want airbags, then they won't inspect as they are not present. Now if any equipment is present on the car, they will inspect against modern requirements. For example, if I have a windshield on the car it must me AS1 requirements or if I have seat belts on the car, they must meet the requirements, etc.

I thought that was very interesting. This might make me think a little harder about building a single seater car under Missouri's specially constructed licensing program. If anyone in Missouri is getting close to licensing or inspection, let me know and I may be able to help.

Link to form SHP-498 http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Forms/documents/SHP-498.pdf

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: April 29, 2022, 12:14 pm 

Interesting topic.
I believe TX regs go by the requirements from the year of the car being replicated.
Sounds like most aim for a '57 to have the least requirements to follow.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: April 29, 2022, 4:04 pm 

That's an interesting premise which could alleviate much of the concern regarding selling home built vehicles... I wonder how many other states might have similar options available. Thanks for sharing!

It's also rather interesting that they apparently don't have any minimum requirements for road going specially constructed cars, albeit not as relevant to those out of state. So if you don't use a current DOT approved seat belt, they'll let you run no belts but not an SFI/FIA harness?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie