LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Registration in WA
PostPosted: July 5, 2007, 9:49 pm 

Hey, anyone registered a car in washington state? Any tips? I wondering what's necessary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7, 2007, 12:11 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=46

Title 46. Read all of it. I have found that laws about a certain subject are not always in logical places. There may be other laws in the Code which affect the interpretation of Title 46. Key word searches of the entire Code help.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 12:12 am 

While considering to build a locost I contacted the state patrol and the DMV. I was suprised at the outcome of my discussions. They informed me that if I built a replica of a 67 lotus 7 then that is what it would be registered as. They did not care about the age of the major donor or the date when registered !!! All the state patrol were interested in was that you have proof of purchase of all the major components prior to them providing a VIN. So, my intent is to build a "67 lotus replica" and not have all the issues associated with emissions. Not sure if what I have been told will turn out to be true !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 1:17 am 
Wouldn't it be better to state that the 7 is a replica of a '58? This should leave less question of equipment or emissions.

Last edited by locostv8 on September 7, 2007, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 3:00 pm 

As long as you declare that it is a replica of a vehicle at least 25 years old there appears to be no emissions applicable. I wonder what the regs are if you are not copying a previous production vehicle and are scratch building your own design !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 5:13 pm 
VA is the same so to me it would make sense to state that the car is a replica of the oldest vintage possible. We have yearly inspections for equipment and my thought is who at an inspection station would have any idea what equipment should be on a '58 Lotus 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6, 2007, 11:06 pm 

Quote:
VA is the same so to me it would make sense to state that the car is a replica of the oldest vintage possible. We have yearly inspections for equipment and my thought is who at an inspection station would have any idea what equipment should be on a '58 Lotus 7.

So based on your research, would it make sense to bring my (georgia) car to VA to get it titled (assuming I can find a trustworthy resident) as a '58. Then I could bring it back to georgia and register it as a 58'?

I'm just a little lost between that post of yours and your posts in the VA registration thread.

Hope the build is coming along well! Thanks!

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7, 2007, 1:18 am 
VA registers the car as what it most looks like therefore I intend to present it as a 58 Lotus 7. The 7 was invented in 57 then the america version with clamshell fenders was produced for sale as a kit in '58. Not all states respect the title verbage or year of a title from another state, VA in particular. A new component car titling segislation just passed, prior to that you were at the mercy of whatever clerk you came across at the DMV.

Post subject: Re: Registration in WA
PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 2:50 am 

Bumping this one up for updates. I spoke with the girl at the local DMV today and was informed that 'kit' cars have to have an MSO and will be titled as the year of the MSO. Homemade vehicles will need an inspection (VIN and stolen part checks) and will be titled as the year of the inspection. What this means is that as of right now the 'proper' way as I've been told involves the car being licensed as a 2009 vehicle which, as of this year, means it has to pass a full California emissions test when it's 5 years old (new vehicles get 5 years free). This simply isn't going to happen when your car is powered by a 20 year old Quad 4 on DCOEs.

I thought maybe the DMV girl was confused so I started looking around online and pretty much confirmed everything she said. The WACs, the RCWs and Jonny Law have crimped down on us for no reason. I even found the Factory Five forums WA registration section which pretty much spelled out Y-O-U'-R-E--B-O-N-E-D. One guy with a FFR Cobra Rep got off lucky and the kind lady at the DMV ignored the legalities and simply entered a new vehicle... put the FFR serial as the VIN, FFR as the manufacturer and 1965 as the year. He just got his title a few days ago. Everyone else on there was pretty much saying it'll go in as a 2009, spend your 5 years of emissions free driving trying to figure out how you're going to get around the test later.

It's not going to affect my build; I'll move to Oregon for a month if I have to, or pay someone in OR to buy my unregistered car, title it in OR as a '67 and sell it back to me (Jack? :mrgreen: J/K). It's still something that lingers on your mind. At the rate the laws change here who knows where it'll be when the car is done.

I have a lead out to a buddy that works at the DMV to get me the real scoop and I plan on calling the WSP in the next couple days to see what they say but I'm not going to stop looking for alternatives.

The best plan I've come up with so far involves registering the car as a home built Street Rod under RCW 46.12.420, RCW 46.04.571 and calling it a 1949 Austin 7/Lotus Mark2 which pretty much gets me around all the rules provided they give me a vin without complaining. The year it replicates must be older than 1949 and it need only comply with the laws of what it replicates. If I tell them the donor was an 1987 Cutlass then I shouldn't have to emissions test it by the time I finish this thing.
Thank you SEMA SAC for that one... now if they'd just make another pass at WA and get this stupid Kit Car stuff sorted.

-Aaron

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 11:46 pm 

In WA emissions are ECY(Dept of Ecology). Here is an email response I received when I asked last year about testing for a kit car:

"A kit or homebuilt vehicle is registered by year of completion. If you were to build a car this year it would be registered as a 2008. Under current law, it would have its first emission test in 2013. We cannot exempt a vehicle from testing but we can be as lenient as possible to the standards. A kit car is not required to have emission control components, as it is a single production vehicle. In 2013 when it has its first test, it may fail 2013 tail pipe standards. If it does fail the test, you may contact our office and we would give the vehicle a pass if it is below our most lenient standards that are for the 1968 model year vehicles."

So WSP for the stolen parts check, DMV for title, and ECY to help out if it fails emissions testing. I also asked why 1968 was the standard, and that is the first year WA has recorded standards for(program started in '82 and tested '68-'82 at that time).

Please do email the folks at ECY to verify this is all still the case, and so you have an email saved of your own(I saved my question and answer for future use!)

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 3:32 am 

I'm at least a year from registration and I suspect the rules may change again before then, I'm just a big fan of being prepared. The SEMA SAC has been ripping through states this year. By the time I need plates I can only hope they'll have it sorted out here as well. If not then the information you've given me is probably the most valuable thing I've found. Thanks! I'd read about a department of ecology exemption waiver for kit cars similar to what you describe but it fully clears the vehicle and you have to jump back through that hoop every two years. I'll shoot an email to the dept of eco just so I can have something to print should it turn to battle when the time comes. Thanks again.

-Aaron

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 6:53 pm 

Small update, I was down at Park Place Motors today for some detail work on my M3 and remembered that they sell Superformance replicas. I talked to someone about how they register them and they're registered as kit replicas with the same model year as the originals, no emissions, etc. I'm guessing it's just down to the way their title clerk works but it's one more score for us.

-Aaron

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 1:14 am 

Hey Guys,

Just saw there was a WA thread and did a bit of quick research. Has anyone been to lic. their car recently?

Seems SSB 5719 was a mild success in our favor.

It was appears to have been a favor for the electric vehicle proponents, but kit cars also fall into that same niche.

What is WSP doing for a Parts Check? I have receipts for everything so far, but since I don't officially have a donor (except Pick-n-Pull) what are they likely to look for? I do know the VIN of the car I pulled the parts from though if it helps!

Thanks,

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 12:06 pm 

You're in Vancouver, hop over to Oregon and do it there. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1998&start=15

Bit of a hassle for me-I'm in Port Angeles, northern tip of the Olympic Peninsula. :cry:

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 6:47 pm 

JSullivan wrote:
You're in Vancouver, hop over to Oregon and do it there. :lol:

I thought about that, but I need some willing volunteer to allow me to use their address for the time it takes.. I can't imagine it being too hard as to change the reg on my 05 VW Jetta I simply walked in showed them the title and ins and walked out with new plates.. and that was coming from CA!

I've been reading the regs a bit more and as long as you get someone who can properly interpret them or will lean towards your interpretation.. it seems to be fairly straight forward. The guy at the local AirGas told me there are a few around here, so I hope to find them and see what clues I can glean from them!

Ken

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein