LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 5, 2020, 8:23 am 

I just came back from VIR running a Chin Group event on Monday and Tuesday. never been to VIR before, a great track but not very 7 friendly, the 3/4 mile back straight does not help. However there are a couple of very interesting/technical sections. I would consider running a event there again it might be a perfect first event of the year as it's about 250 miles south on MD so the weather should be better. Lots of mode to the car, cage, new fuel tank setup, minor cooling change, bluetooth GPS sensor, manual brake light switch, new belts. All the changed worked very well apart from the "minor cooling change", well that was not as minor as I expected and I had creeping coolant temps all day, So I will have to look into that.

Graham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 5, 2020, 9:20 am 

ENVY.

It's hard to tell from the one pic, but is there a tight mesh screen on the nosecone that might be reducing air flow?

Ron

PostPosted: June 5, 2020, 9:31 am 

I think you need a few more louvers Graham. :rofl:

How ya been? Glad to see you are still making improvements to the Seven. Well, most of them are improvements anyway.

Cheers :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 5, 2020, 10:19 am 

Chuck, all my project have an extended life cycle. If they are never done you don't have to sell it to start the next project.

The cooling change looked simple. I replaced the coolant re-circulation hose with a plate and lopped the end of the manifold. This had a couple of benefits, inlet manifold no longer water heated, ability to use K20 manifolds, ability to remove manifold without draining coolant. Looked simple, but car instantly ran 30 degrees hotter. It behaved like a stuck thermostat. The K24 uses a thermostat this is part thermostat part thermostat housing, are prove to cracking on race cars. So I swapped to a billet housing that uses a regular thermostat. That helped a little, but I still had temp creep during track sessions. Talking to K-Tuned I have removed the thermostat totally. I will see if that help, but I am confused why is is necessary.

Graham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 9, 2020, 10:00 am 

I found the reason for my creeping water temp, nothing to do with the mods I had done over the winter. I had re-installed a panel that runs from the front frame rail, it was blocking the air from exiting the radiator. I guess I had not run the plate for years, just found it and decided to re-install. Oops.

PostPosted: June 9, 2020, 9:36 pm 

If you can get a day when they're running the grand course you'll find a lot more locost love there. The added patriot section is really, really tight and gives the whole lap a different character. 3+ minute lap times means that a lot of organizers don't run it often, though. Love that place, automotive heaven on earth for me.

Alex