LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 1:20 am 

Hi Lads, Thanks for the welcome posts , I am from Vancouver Canada , and call Burnaby home . I have a small work space , so the best thing to build is a small car . My Alfa is an 1982 spider which is past its best before date as far as the body is concerned, the engine and gear box are in great shape , so it was the best donor for my build . The motor came with Bosh EFI which works well but is cluttered , so my plane is to fit Webber's or direct to head throttle body EFI .But that is a long way off . The body will be out the shop by the end of this month , and then the FUN will start.
Cheers Steve

PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 9:02 am 

I have a Spyder rear in my SeVen. Do you plan to keep the offset differential? Also, unless you decide to make a very narrow car, you will need to mess with wheel spacers or custom axle tubes and axles (that is what I did). I also added Miata disk brakes to mine. If you want the CAD files for the adapters they are yours for just asking.

PostPosted: August 12, 2015, 6:37 pm 

Hi JPS Europa, Thank you for your offer , I would like it if you could send me the file on your diff set up ,I am a long way from that point , but planning ahead is a good idea . My plane was to go with the minimal amount of spacer that I can to make things look and work right . What motor did you use ? I'm a little concerned that the 2 Lt motor is a little on the tall side , but I will work with what I have . I would like to have all the greasy bits off to steam cleaning next week .

PostPosted: August 13, 2015, 6:50 pm 

A person named Wilf, who lived on Gabriola Island did an Alfa based build. He did a nice job and brought it over to our Sevenfest meet a few years ago.

If you go back through the build logs to July 21, 2008 you'll see the start of his build log. cfv23844Alfa 7

Ron

PostPosted: August 13, 2015, 11:57 pm 

Surprised no one has mentioned Tom Suppa's very nice Alfa build.

Check out 'TSuppa's Alfa Spider build' in the Builders Log. Tom built an awfully nice car. Sounds great also.

You will have to do a search. I can't seem to attach URL's.

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 12:41 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned Tom Suppa's very nice Alfa build.

Check out 'TSuppa's Alfa Spider build' in the Builders Log. Tom built an awfully nice car. Sounds great also.

You will have to do a search. I can't seem to attach URL's.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4702

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 12:59 am 

Thanks but how do you do it?

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 1:21 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Thanks but how do you do it?

I *am* a liberal arts grad! (ducking) Also an IT professional.... my servers look much better than my locost build!

I just copy the URL from the top of the browser and paste it into the message. Highlight the URL, right-click (or ctrl+c), and then paste it (ctrl+v) here. Dunno how you'd do that in a Mac, suppose it would be simple to do (which would mean that I'd have to look it up?).

Beyond that, I just "submit" and it seems to work for me?

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 2:08 am 

Not to hi-jack a thread but I also am an IT pro although retired for 15 years and mainframe COBOL primarily. These little boxes just ain't the same! I tried clicking the 'URL' box then pasting it to the message (Command V in a MAC). However that didn't do it. MAC's 'command' key is about the same as 'ctrl' in Windows so I did cmd C on Tom's log header, then clicked the URL box in the header, then did the cmd V in the message. Did the preview and the URL wasn't there. Just the header name. Did something wrong but just don't know where I went wrong.

Thanks Tim for the help. Just not there yet 8<(.

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 9:29 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Thanks Tim for the help. Just not there yet 8<(.

Please don't confuse my flippant attitude w/ a desire to @#$@#$ you off tho... And I think that being in IT is code for "you're gonna feel stupid most of the time." These machines...

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 1:09 pm 
Toyotaphobe

You simply click the box at the top of the message pane labeled URL and it will put the tags at the spot you were when you clicked. Then you place the URL between the tags.

I command V it all day long.

If you copy the url before you hit the URL button on the message pane then when you command V it places the url where it belongs. But if you do anything after you hit the url button then when you paste you will have to put the cursor back between the tags.

But regardless of how you do it, whether you paste or do it manually it won't work unless you put the url between the URL tags.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 12:25 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
But regardless of how you do it, whether you paste or do it manually it won't work unless you put the url between the URL tags.

Strange, I never use those tags anymore?

Will those YouTube tags work too?

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 12:32 pm 

Alfasuper7 wrote:
Hi JPS Europa, Thank you for your offer , I would like it if you could send me the file on your diff set up ,I am a long way from that point , but planning ahead is a good idea . My plane was to go with the minimal amount of spacer that I can to make things look and work right . What motor did you use ? I'm a little concerned that the 2 Lt motor is a little on the tall side , but I will work with what I have . I would like to have all the greasy bits off to steam cleaning next week .

and now back to our build thread...
I did not use any Alfa stuff except for the rear. Engine and transmission are Toyota. My chassis is Plus 4 in width so it was a REALLY narrow rear for the chassis...too much to play comfortably with spacers. So I ended up having custom tubes and axles made. I don't use any spacers. I centered the diff housing with that mod. I had the axles made up with the Miata bolt pattern. If you want the files for the disk brake caliper mounts, PM me your email address.
Paul