LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: February 26, 2016, 3:30 pm 

Gavin,
Thanks! Not so much work taking how it holds. :)
Ron

PostPosted: February 26, 2016, 3:51 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
1) Did the Sikaflex ooze from the joint between the floor and chassis tubes under the pressure of the bricks?

2) If so, does it dry hard like epoxy, or is it flexible and there's some way to trim it (or clean it) off afterwords?

Whether steel or aluminum is used, it does seem like Sikaflex is an attractive alternative to riveting or welding the floor in place.

PU sealant/Adhesives (of which Sikaflex is just one - probably the best known - brand-name) behave kind of like super-tough, super-sticky versions of the silicone sealants you'd use in your bathroom; hence you can probably appreciate Gavin's stress on the need to keep everything clean... the slightest bit of greasy contamination on the surface, and it'll just peel off, real easy. You could argue that they behave like a half-way house between silicone sealants and epoxy, but in technical terms they are treated as and elastic (gap-filling) adhesive, rather than as a high-modulus rigid (film bonding) adhesive

They'll squeeze out of joint under pressure. They're not as hard as epoxy when set, but if you've got your bond nice and clean as recommended by Gavin, they'll still stick like the proverbial to a blanket and the excess won't trim/peel away anything like as easily as silicone (though you can trim them away with a razor blde or sharp knife, with care), so you're best off wiping away any major excess before they go off, in my experience.

As with most adhesives, though, the manufacturers produce comprehensive guidance on handling and application, so always best to get it form the horse's mouth.

As Botbasher said way back on page 2, a belt-and-braces approach of rivets in key locations is a damned good idea, just to avoid any risk of peel, regardless, I think.

PostPosted: February 26, 2016, 6:43 pm 

I agree with Sam - it's a heap easier to clean up before curing. Finger in a rag with a little acetone, run alongside the edge of the goop. Trying to trim it with (say) a razor after cure is a pain.

Does it ooze out? Well yes ... ish. By the time you've put enough in there to get a 2mm thickness, it only moves so much.

The idea of the 2mm plastic balls mixed in is pretty cute. Just lay the goop down, sprinkle some over the top & hey presto, I imagine.

Cheers - Gavin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6